Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 @EMPIRETECANDY Hey Guys, I've noticed an odd issue with the camera. I had it set to 45 fps for the openalpr since there is some fast traffic on this road, with an iframe of 45. Randomly, I'll check the web settings and its back to 30fps with an iframe of 60. Every other setting stays fine. Have you noticed this at all? I had it set to reboot every sat morning at 4:30am, I wonder if it looses that setting on a reboot?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I do not have my cameras set up at that high of a fps. I am also not using them for openalpr. My cameras are setup for general viewing and set at 15fps.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@rsoxhater thanks for reaching out. I run mine around 30 fps without issue, iframe set to match. To answer your question, reboots won't change frame rate but DO change / revert bitrate if using custom etc. Therefore don't think FPS is being affected by that. Now with that said, I have seen some weird and wonderful quirks of OpenALPR such as rebooting a 5231 and causing it to hang after it processed a stream. That was a bug in OpenALPR. I've also seen platform related quirks that potentially could change full settings (if you grant admin level access to the stream through the portal etc) but I run mine in a Docker instance, cam access locked down. If it isn't one of these quirks (which I believe it could be) then the only other suggestion would be to reset cam to default (to start fresh) and re-configure.

Out of interest, does this only happen with 45/45 or if you set to a 30/30 (FPS/iFRAME) it remains as set ?

If after all of the above (including the full factory default) doesn't resolve I would definitely a) reach out and let me know and b) report a bug through OpenALPR's community channel as well

HTH

@Wildcat_1 @EMPIRETECANDY Hey Guys, I've noticed an odd issue with the camera. I had it set to 45 fps for the openalpr since there is some fast traffic on this road, with an iframe of 45. Randomly, I'll check the web settings and its back to 30fps with an iframe of 60. Every other setting stays fine. Have you noticed this at all? I had it set to reboot every sat morning at 4:30am, I wonder if it looses that setting on a reboot?

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@rsoxhater thanks for reaching out. I run mine around 30 fps without issue, iframe set to match. To answer your question, reboots won't change frame rate but DO change / revert bitrate if using custom etc. Therefore don't think FPS is being affected by that. Now with that said, I have seen some weird and wonderful quirks of OpenALPR such as rebooting a 5231 and causing it to hang after it processed a stream. That was a bug in OpenALPR. I've also seen platform related quirks that potentially could change full settings (if you grant admin level access to the stream through the portal etc) but I run mine in a Docker instance, cam access locked down. If it isn't one of these quirks (which I believe it could be) then the only other suggestion would be to reset cam to default (to start fresh) and re-configure.

Out of interest, does this only happen with 45/45 or if you set to a 30/30 (FPS/iFRAME) it remains as set ?

If after all of the above (including the full factory default) doesn't resolve I would definitely a) reach out and let me know and b) report a bug through OpenALPR's community channel as well

HTH
I will do some testing. I honestly did not even think about the open alpr. If I had it connected to milestone it would have made me think twice about that happening. I'll play around with the settings and see if I can gather some more information. Also, I was told by Open ALPR they discourage Dahua cameras due to "security issues", however they have do support them. THeir supported camera list had a hikvision though, which I found odd. They showed me an axis camera they had running outside their office, and the night shots couldn't hold a candle to this camera.

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Open ALPR used to be, May still be, closely associated with Axis cameras...
On their list of recommended was an axis, vivotek (that this camera replaced and is infinitely better than), a hikvision and two brands I've never heard of. They have the option for the cloud add on for axis cameras well.

nabeel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I know the basics of of that,,, my question was about why it's not mentioned in the data sheet ,,, and how would you prefer to run it higher quality or higher frame rate?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I know the basics of of that,,, my question was about why it's not mentioned in the data sheet
Hikvision and Dahua sometimes publish incorrect/incomplete info. For this model it looks like the PDF Spec Sheet didn't include the full frame-rate info, but the online page for the camera does.

Main Stream: 2688 × 1520 (1 fps–25/30 fps)
2560 × 1440 (1 fps–25/30 fps)
1920 × 1080 (1 fps–50/60 fps)
Sub Stream: D1 (1 fps–25/30 fps)
D1 (1 fps–50/60 fps)
Third Stream: 1080P (1 fps–16 fps)

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I know the basics of of that,,, my question was about why it's not mentioned in the data sheet ,,, and how would you prefer to run it higher quality or higher frame rate?
I'm not sure why its not the spec sheet. As far as frame rate, in my case, the higher frame rate is a benefit for license plate recognition with faster traffic, and the higher resolution would not help that. If its just regular surveillance, you will likely want the higher quality. Its all a matter of your requirements, and what you are happy with. Alot of times I will record the higher quality stream, and use a lower quality, lower FPS for the live view, so I'm saving on bandwidth wherever possible.

nabeel

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure why its not the spec sheet. As far as frame rate, in my case, the higher frame rate is a benefit for license plate recognition with faster traffic, and the higher resolution would not help that. If its just regular surveillance, you will likely want the higher quality. Its all a matter of your requirements, and what you are happy with. a lot of times I will record the higher quality stream, and use a lower quality, lower FPS for the live view, so I'm saving on bandwidth wherever possible.
it makes sense, in my case i would love to see a camera with both worlds, because I would like to take a family footage around the swimming pool area, so motion and quality are important to me, but where can I find that master piece!

Hikvision and Dahua sometimes publish incorrect/incomplete info. For this model it looks like the PDF Spec Sheet didn't include the full frame-rate info, but the online page for the camera does.
Yes, I assumed that would be a mistake as well.

How would this camera compares to:

IPC-HFW81230E-ZE
IPC-HFW7842H-Z
IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI

Last edited:

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it makes sense, in my case i would love to see a camera with both worlds, because I would like to take a family footage around the swimming pool area, so motion and quality are important to me, but where can I find that master piece!

Yes, I assumed that would be a mistake as well.
how would this camera compares to:

IPC-HFW81230E-ZE
IPC-HFW7842H-Z
IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI
You really won't need past 30fps for most anything other than specific applications like LPR. For general surveillance I rarely go past 20fps. The full 4mp resolution likely will easily accomplish what you want to do I would think?

nabeel

n3wb
Reaction score
You really won't need past 30fps for most anything other than specific applications like LPR. For general surveillance I rarely go past 20fps. The full 4mp resolution likely will easily accomplish what you want to do I would think?
What annoys me when I see a test footage with few frame drops and lagging during zooming, panning or when motion encountered in the scene.

nabeel

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, what are you recording on?
I guess I got carried away and involved the PTZ's in the concept :), I am also looking for a mini PTZ that can serve the case.

Last edited: