Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
By the way, today we get a 1 star for this camera, maybe the guy want to give 0 star, there is no such choice. :D
The cameras all fully tested before shipping, we sell thousands cams per year, open box failure, there is 0. This guy never contact us and the refund always by Amazon, not by the seller. When Amazon receiv the box, they will refund directly, how can refund you if camera still not returned to Amazon??
I am strongly hope if you don't have time to make research on these professional cams, you can contact us. But if you even can't change ip subet or even don't want to ask us for help, we don't need your orders.

1575510476861.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 51693
Mr Potatohead never was network savvy.

Last edited:

abs1

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way, today we get a 1 star for this camera, maybe the guy want to give 0 star, there is no such choice. :D
The cameras all fully tested before shipping, we sell thousands cams per year, open box failure, there is 0. This guy never contact us and the refund always by Amazon, not by the seller. When Amazon receiv the box, they will refund directly, how can refund you if camera still not returned to Amazon??
I am strongly hope if you don't have time to make research on these professional cams, you can contact us. But if you even can't change ip subet or even don't want to ask us for help, we don't need your orders.

View attachment 51693
My IPC-B5442E-Z4E model arrived Monday, did the same, camera wouldn't power on via POE. I used an old 12v 2A switch mode psu I had laying around and got it to power on. I have 2 Hikvision cams I also wish to replace in future with these variants, they work absolutely brilliant apart from the power over POE issue I encountered.

All my cams runs off a HP Procurve 2520g-24p switch with enough power budget.

I'm so happy with mine I'm not even sending it back for the lack of power over POE as the current placement is literally few inches from an existing power source.

Also great review @Wildcat_1

Here are some pics

Night Shot 60% zoom (Forced Day with default settings)

Cam4.20191204_213655854_1.jpg

Daytime 60% zoom (default settings)

03[M][0@0][0].jpg

Face Detection (optimized settings)

03[M][0@0][1].jpg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
My IPC-B5442E-Z4E model arrived Monday, did the same, camera wouldn't power on via POE. I used an old 12v 2A switch mode psu I had laying around and got it to power on. I have 2 Hikvision cams I also wish to replace in future with these variants, they work absolutely brilliant apart from the power over POE issue I encountered.

I'm so happy with mine I'm not even sending it back for the lack of power over POE as the current placement is literally few inches from an existing power source.

Here are some pics

View attachment 51761

View attachment 51762

View attachment 51763
Please Try with another POE switch if you have. Here is the power consumption. We test all cams with dahua POE switch before shipping. Some switches on the market don't offer real power for the cams, esp for long distance power supply, this camera also a ePOE Cam too. I will grab some dahua poe switch to test.
We always test all cams with this switch.
Power SupplyDC 12V (±30%), PoE (802.3af) (Class 0)
Power Consumption<10.9W

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@abs1 thanks for the kind comment. I’m surprised your pro curve is having issues. They do support 802.3af with the 195 available to 20 ports so have enough power for sure. Obviously they are older switches so could play into it albeit that 802.3af standards are standards. So you have any other POE switches OR a POE capable NVR you can test with to rule out any issues ? Any other POE devices you can connect to the procurve to test and monitor power draw through ? What does the HP web GUI show ?

Here are some pics

View attachment 51761

View attachment 51762

View attachment 51763

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Dahua poe switch connect with poe camera always looks like this. I tested 10pcs IPC-B5442E-Z4E and 4pcs IPC-B5442E-ZE here, not found the POE failed issue.

1575604518900.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
As Andy pointed out, Dahua switches represent that way. Others such as Ubiquiti color code left side LEDs (for POE connection) vs right for link speed such as Ubiquiti. I too haven't seen any POE issues with the B5442 yet BUT have seen issues with different switch ports for POE management including lockouts due to draw etc on certain switch units. Just something to take a look at with manned POE switches and something I keep an eye on when connecting cams from POE+, 24v or even Hi-POE using midspan's back to managed. Definitely interested in hearing back @abs1 in trying to fault isolate your situation down.

POE.jpg Link Speed.jpg POE+ & Link Speed.jpg

Last edited:

abs1

n3wb
Reaction score
Please Try with another POE switch if you have. Here is the power consumption. We test all cams with dahua POE switch before shipping. Some switches on the market don't offer real power for the cams, esp for long distance power supply, this camera also a ePOE Cam too. I will grab some dahua poe switch to test.
We always test all cams with this switch.
Power SupplyDC 12V (±30%), PoE (802.3af) (Class 0)
Power Consumption<10.9W
@abs1 thanks for the kind comment. I’m surprised your pro curve is having issues. They do support 802.3af with the 195 available to 20 ports so have enough power for sure. Obviously they are older switches so could play into it albeit that 802.3af standards are standards. So you have any other POE switches OR a POE capable NVR you can test with to rule out any issues ? Any other POE devices you can connect to the procurve to test and monitor power draw through ? What does the HP web GUI show ?
Dahua poe switch connect with poe camera always looks like this. I tested 10pcs IPC-B5442E-Z4E and 4pcs IPC-B5442E-ZE here, not found the POE failed issue.

View attachment 51766
As Andy pointed out, Dahua switches represent that way. Others such as Ubiquiti color code left side LEDs (for POE connection) vs right for link speed such as Ubiquiti. I too haven't seen any POE issues with the B5442 yet BUT have seen issues with different switch ports for POE management including lockouts due to draw etc on certain switch units. Just something to take a look at with manned POE switches and something I keep an eye on when connecting cams from POE+, 24v or even Hi-POE using midspan's back to managed. Definitely interested in hearing back @abs1 in trying to fault isolate your situation down.

View attachment 51767 View attachment 51768 View attachment 51769
Hi @Andy and @Wildcat_1 thanks for your feedback.

@Andy I had tested the cam in question on another spare POE switch I had at my disposal Tenda 5 port POE (TEF1105P-4-63W) but to no avail, I used this on my HIK's before I migrated my gear to the HP Procurve.

I do plan in future to acquire a ubiquity switch for more control.

@Wildcat_1 the web gui on HP indicates no power draw and that the link is down. Maybe its just one of those things that happen, I'm really not sure why its not powering via POE but really not a big issue for me at this point.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

@Andy I had tested the cam in question on another spare POE switch I had at my disposal Tenda 5 port POE (TEF1105P-4-63W) but to no avail, I used this on my HIK's before I migrated my gear to the HP Procurve.

@Wildcat_1 the web gui on HP indicates no power draw and that the link is down. Maybe its just one of those things that happen, I'm really not sure why its not powering via POE but really not a big issue for me at this point.
Noted, thanks. I get a reprot from client last week, his NVR can't find the cams, and even use configtool can't be searched, He also changed several cables and switches. but after he used the camera's default ip address 192.168.1.108 on IE browser to make the activation. All cams are working well.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@abs1 thanks for the follow up. Known good port ? Not an isolated or blocked port ? Just going through the bases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@abs1 another thought. now you have the cam powered by 12v, connect via the web GUI to the cam and complete a couple of factory defaults and see if they changes anything as well.

abs1

n3wb
Reaction score
@abs1 thanks for the follow up. Known good port ? Not an isolated or blocked port ? Just going through the bases.
@Wildcat_1 I used all the ports including those that I currently use for 2 HIK cams I have upon testing.

@abs1 another thought. now you have the cam powered by 12v, connect via the web GUI to the cam and complete a couple of factory defaults and see if they changes anything as well.
The switch was new when I received it as it was a warranty swap out, so basically everything is still default.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok good to know. Try the steps I mentioned above on connecting to the cam and factory defaulting the cam a couple of times while you have it connected to 12v. Then unplug and try the POE again. Sometimes cams can take 2 to 3 defaults before they do finally rest fully.

@Wildcat_1 I used all the ports including those that I currently use for 2 HIK cams I have upon testing.

The switch was new when I received it as it was a warranty swap out, so basically everything is still default.

abs1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok good to know. Try the steps I mentioned above on connecting to the cam and factory defaulting the cam a couple of times while you have it connected to 12v. Then unplug and try the POE again. Sometimes cams can take 2 to 3 defaults before they do finally rest fully.
Noted will do some testing over the weekend and see, appreciate the feedback thus far, on another note this is a great cam and already garnering interest from my neighbors, I'm definitely getting more of these in future. @Andy 5 days shipping to SA Cape Town after placing the order from Aliexpress , that's legendary ;)

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@abs1 you won’t be disappointed !

another thing to add to the testing is although the switch has auto sensing ports, force POE+ rather than letting it auto detect. I’ve seen some switches blip to 24v to a POE+ cam and cause issues so just something I like to always set forcefully is POE+ on the port unless I’m using a midspan in between devices etc.

Noted will do some testing over the weekend and see, appreciate the feedback thus far, on another note this is a great cam and already garnering interest from my neighbors, I'm definitely getting more of these in future. @Andy 5 days shipping to SA Cape Town after placing the order from Aliexpress , that's legendary ;)

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 12 of theses cameras sitting in box here that I hope to have time to setup and IP address today. Will report any POE issues as well.

Last edited: