Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Q4 - After logging back into the camera with the new password, I went to SETTING TAB / NETWORK / TCP/IP setting.
The last setting was for "Enable ARP/Ping to set IP address service". I left the box checked. Is that correct?
I'm poking around with the camera settings today trying to get more familiar with the parameters. It's a bit overwhelming to say the least.
I've got the camera connected to my laptop using the camera's web interface and using the desktop to search for answers.
The Dahau website seems to be a good resource I have yet to tap.

To answer my question (Q4) from my post above (page 13 - post #252), I found an explanation on the Dahua Wiki, linked below
Seems like if you assign a static IP you want to uncheck the ARP/Ping box. That's my guess.

Last edited:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What SYSTEM VERSION is recommended for this camera?
Below is a screen shot of what's loaded in my camera that I got directly from Andy around 12/01/19.
I checked posts on this thread for the past few months and the only version reference I saw was that Andy mentioned there was a new version out but it was being tested and there were some bugs. No updates since unless I missed it. Thanks!

CAM#1 VER INFO X.jpg

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I received my Z4E camera as Andy had said, on Thursday night 8 pm - dhl delivery. Fantastic! Thank you Andy !
I have the same system version @windguy.
I have 150' of cat5e with a punch down splice block midway through the run. its connected to a 8 port netgear poe unmanaged router.
windows 7 properly picked it right up in my network. I use firefox based seamonkey for all my devices, and promptly entered the cameras webpage.
I Haven't tweaked it to its full potential yet, but it sure lights up the night, and it stays in color a lot longer coming in from dusk to total darkness, about 30 minutes longer then the 5231r-ze I have.
I configured it with the search on the config tool. Is the - Generic onvif - the best scenario for this cam?
settings now at - h264h video 30 fps 8096 bit rate - nvidea 970 video card - direct to disk -

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 (or anyone eles on thsi thread) are the IR issues that were mentioned in the start of this thread addressed in the firmware updates ?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@mark_whocares yes the 11/18 FW does help with the IR issues. I do find that FW does introduce an element of noise though. Therefore for me I run a mix of 11/18 and 9/921 FW's. On the 9/21 I run manual IR and dial in with that. HTH

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got a question about adjusting the position of this B5442E-ZE bullet while in a wall mount position. Sorry if I'm asking a newbie question. While use this varifocal as a test camera in a wall mount position, I would dial in the pitch by adjusting the camera up/down and the yaw or pan by rotating the test jig pole. No problem. See pics below to get the general idea.

Today I was fine tuning the mounting locations in preparation to determine conduit requirements. Originally, I thought I'd mount the camera in a ceiling mount configuration hanging from the eaves, but the view was getting clipped by the 4x4 wood of the eave when I tucked the camera all the way back against the wall.

Plan B, I tried a wall mount configuration, but with the camera flush against the stucco wall, the camera will not allow me to adjust left or right. I need about 30deg left and 30deg down of adjustment. I can only make an adjustment in on direction. I feel like a dolt. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it seems like a limitation in mounting it this method unless you use some type of hanging pipe and a pole mount bracket. Making these types of adjustments with a turret is really easy. I picked up a 3.6mm and 6.0mm after the initial round of testing so I could dial in the fixed lens cams.

Plan C, I then went back to the ceiling mount option and shifted the mounting location a bit to the left so it's lower and below the 4x4 wood and the test image was acceptable. The only issue I had in mounting it this way is that the junction box will be wider than the 4x4 and the 4x4 is at a pitch so if the junction box is mounted flush to the sloping 4x4, the image is slanted, Again, easy to compensate for with a turret, but not with a bullet. I will need to make a custom mounting board to compensate for the angle, which I'm okay doing.

Wondering how others have dealt with these mounting issues. Appreciate the help and wisdom. Thanks!

test rig 03.JPG

cam1 01.JPG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not certain I understand but if you loosen that adjustment screw enough the camera will spin on 3 axis points. Should be able to go 90 degrees either way

that tube will spin, the balljoint, and the camera housing.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I even lightly lubricate the ball joint and the one at the base to help with the adjustment. Make sure that the set screw is loose enough. By the way that is T15 Torx if you want to use your own tools. I bought one with a 1/4" drive.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Great idea using a T15, which I have. Didn't think of that but would make it easier in most cases.
Sorry I didn't explain things very well. I took some pics and marked them up.

I do have the adjustment screen opened up for full movement.

I only see two axis points of movement, so I must be missing something very obvious.
Axis 1 - the camera can pitch up or down 0-90deg, so if you mount it to a wall, you can project straight out at 0deg or tilt down to a max of 90deg. Or rotate the mount to tilt up.

Axis 2 - You can roll or rotate the camera 360deg, but if you're mounted level to a wall, not sure that's helpful. You want a horizontal plane. It is helpful if you use it in a ceiling mount config to move left or right.

Axis 3 - The third principal axis, yaw, is blocked by the flange and not available in a wall mount config. The flange limits the camera movement to just a few degrees of left or right, not enough. It really does seem the camera mount is designed for pole or ceiling configs and not wall configs.

bullet 01x.jpgbullet 02x.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera will rotate inside that "protrusion" 360 degrees. The "protrusion" will rotate inside the base to get the angle cut out where you need it. Lot's of flexibility available. Also that is why I lubricate things to make it easier to turn and adjust.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with others. I have installed a number of these now on junction boxes flush to wall and with the movement of the camera and the sleeve in which the camera ball joint is housed there is a ton of flexibility to do what you need for sure @windguy

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys. You are all 100% correct. Mea Culpa. My fault for not being able to figure this out on my own. I kept thinking the cutout had to be vertical to get the up and down tilt. I took the camera off the junction box and followed your direction by rotating the cutout to around 4 o'clock and was able to get the right position. The sad part is that I'm a mechanical guy, but I just turned 60 and everything is getting a little soft, if you know what I mean :embarrassed:

It would be nice if there was a 5442 series turret with a 12mm lens but this varifocal will have to do for now. Will post some install pics as I make some progress.
Thanks again!

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mark_whocares yes the 11/18 FW does help with the IR issues. I do find that FW does introduce an element of noise though. Therefore for me I run a mix of 11/18 and 9/921 FW's. On the 9/21 I run manual IR and dial in with that. HTH

thanks for the update.

unfortunate about the noise however. hopefully they can fix that in future releases. I _think_ seeing more noise in my IPC-HFW8232E-Z after the last FW update as well. hard to be 100% sure since I moved some things around ..etc and haven't tried going back to the older fw to check to see if it helps.

Last edited:

adog35

n3wb
Reaction score
Order two of these cameras from Andy paired with a
NVR5208-8p-4ks2e
My small rural community is having issues with tress passing and breaks in's lately.

Is the AI feature able to provide trip wire alerts in-between certain times? "Example 3AM-6am"
Would this camera and NVR provide ANPR data with alerts?
Is there a type of alert that could notify you if a vehicle is left stationary? Example pulling up to the gate and waiting for an extended period of time.

If there is an article on which AI features are supported please direct me.

Any input helps. Thanks!

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
You can build your IVS rules to have them only active at certain times. You can also have notifications set when rules are breached (using iDMSS, gDMSS or even push from NVR if you want to setup.

AI in this Pro line cam is limited to object filtering (human vs vehicle) etc rather than advanced features such as ANPR & Face Recognition which are on the Ultra Line.

Therefore with regards to ANPR, no. You would need to step up to the Ultra Series 7442 I reviewed or it’s Z4 brother 7442-Z4 to get ANPR processing. As that cam supports ANPR it would also pass back those AI based caps to the NVR running 4.0 as well.

HTH

Order two of these cameras from Andy paired with a
NVR5208-8p-4ks2e
My small rural community is having issues with tress passing and breaks in's lately.

Is the AI feature able to provide trip wire alerts in-between certain times? "Example 3AM-6am"
Would this camera and NVR provide ANPR data with alerts?
Is there a type of alert that could notify you if a vehicle is left stationary? Example pulling up to the gate and waiting for an extended period of time.

If there is an article on which AI features are supported please direct me.

Any input helps. Thanks!

adog35

n3wb
Reaction score
You can build your IVS rules to have them only active at certain times. You can also have notifications set when rules are breached (using iDMSS, gDMSS or even push from NVR if you want to setup.

AI in this Pro line cam is limited to object filtering (human vs vehicle) etc rather than advanced features such as ANPR & Face Recognition which are on the Ultra Line.

Therefore with regards to ANPR, no. You would need to step up to the Ultra Series 7442 I reviewed or it’s Z4 brother 7442-Z4 to get ANPR processing. As that cam supports ANPR it would also pass back those AI based caps to the NVR running 4.0 as well.

HTH
Thanks for the information.

Is there a list of which features are supported with the AI Pro Line?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a review comparing the IPC-B5442E-Z4E to the 2MP 64mm focal length Bullet Camera?

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Separate connections, click to view the attachment (from the OP) below for a visual.
What are some compatible microphones? Once you plug a camera in to the Audio cable, does the audio travel over the CAT5/6 cable?

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The review thread for the Microseven M7WP-MIC Waterproof Outdoor Microphone started in 2016. Is this still the preferred mic for the IPC-B5442E-ZE or are there other better options?

Bullet Mic Review

I ordered one and will see how it works. I am using an NVR5216-16P-4KS2E with PoE. Will the mic work passive? Will it work with a PoE splitter fed off the NVR PoE port?

One of my cameras happens to be installed a few feet from an electrical outlet that I installed high under the eaves in order to plug in Christmas Lights. I ordered a DC12V 1A Switching Power Supply Adapter to provide local power to the mic if needed. I will not have as convenient access to provide power to my other bullets if I decide to add mics to them. I may not need to.

Amazon.com: DC12V 2A Switching Power Supply Adapter, Security Camera Power Adapter, CCTV Power Supply, 100-240V AC to 12V DC 2Amp (2000mA) Charger Cord for Security Dome/Bullet Camera, Led Strip Lights, Wall Plug: Home Audio & Theater

Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.