Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While he's probably correct, and I'm not disagreeing but I think I need a better understanding as to the why for that camera based on my research:

I don't think I need quite so much detail as what he has in his shots. When I toss my pie in the sky scenario into IPVM, I get this:

1589053652100.png

The facial features are meh, but not really important in that area. The plate is not great, but it is legible enough to pass the "beyond any reasonable doubt" standard.

And even then, that distance isn't something I necessarily need all that much. My actual need places it closer to here:

1589053817100.png

More than enough facial detail to pass the "beyond any reasonable doubt" standard, and the plate is well more than good enough.

So having said that, what am I missing? Genuine question, I'm not trying to imply that any of you are wrong. I'm new to this and I just don't know the answers.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By the way, I'm also dealing with sub-optimal conditions in terms of where I can place the camera, angle, etc, primarily due to HOA restrictions but also because it has to cross another neighbor's driveway. The fact that it has to cross the neighbor's driveway is why I say it's pie in the sky, is because I can't always count on having that area visible, in addition to the fact that this is mostly to assist with neighborhood watch. The place where I put the person is the absolute worst case scenario of where I would need to be able to see a car license plate. For the other side of my house, it's pretty well choked off (no T intersection) so the range I would need to see anything is actually quite close.

If somebody gets close enough to actually bother my house, this camera is well more than sufficient I think, but again, I don't know all of the caveats, what can go wrong, etc, so I still am considering that 64mm camera, I just need to figure out what it would gain for me.

1589055532000.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While he's probably correct, and I'm not disagreeing but I think I need a better understanding as to the why for that camera based on my research:

I don't think I need quite so much detail as what he has in his shots. When I toss my pie in the sky scenario into IPVM, I get this:

View attachment 61406

The facial features are meh, but not really important in that area. The plate is not great, but it is legible enough to pass the "beyond any reasonable doubt" standard.

And even then, that distance isn't something I necessarily need all that much. My actual need places it closer to here:

View attachment 61409

More than enough facial detail to pass the "beyond any reasonable doubt" standard, and the plate is well more than good enough.

So having said that, what am I missing? Genuine question, I'm not trying to imply that any of you are wrong. I'm new to this and I just don't know the answers.
Again, answered in the LPR section.....many times over.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you replace the lens in the HFW1831 that I linked? If so, where do you get replacement lenses? And is it common to set a fixed zoom level with these varifocal cameras, or is there some kind of automation that is preferred?

Or better yet, is it possible to replace the lens in Costco's Lorex E891AB-E? That would save me a bunch of money if so as I'm able to get these for less than $100 each as part of a kit. Money is also another constraint btw, which is why I'm hesitant (though won't rule out) buying $250+ cameras.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That helps a great deal, thanks :)

I guess two remaining questions:

1. The other side of my house, facing down the street, because of the angle I only need to see 60 feet away, is the 1831E 6mm sufficient for that? Again, bang for buck here. Also, I'm trying to stick with a way to easily return cameras so that I don't get stuck with something that doesn't work out the way I planned, as my knowledge of cameras/photography in general is limited, so I'm bound to make potentially costly mistakes. I'm sticking to Amazon prime, costco, or some other local store for that reason, so nothing too far out of the way of that. The camera in this thread is available via prime, hence it is within my consideration, but it's overkill if the 1831E 6mm will do.

2. Just how many cameras is overkill? Trying to avoid looking like a paranoid freak to my neighbors :) And I have a feeling that I may be overdoing it. So far in the front yard alone I have 6 planned (two at sides of the house, two criss-crossing the front, and two aimed down the street in both directions.)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Let's see...two cameras on each side with crossing fields of view, maybe a single camera, front and rear, looking straight out for overview, a camera at each entrance for facial ID, camera(s) for specific areas that would benefit from added surveillance or detail, maybe a PTZ or two just for fun. Let's say a bare minimum of at least eight and more as needed or wanted. Oh yeah, don't forget LPR cameras, two of those for each direction. And one more, a weather camera watching the sky.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That helps a great deal, thanks :)

I guess two remaining questions:

2. Just how many cameras is overkill? Trying to avoid looking like a paranoid freak to my neighbors :) And I have a feeling that I may be overdoing it. So far in the front yard alone I have 6 planned (two at sides of the house, two criss-crossing the front, and two aimed down the street in both directions.)

6? You’re just about 1/2 way there ;)

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on both the distance and the angle that I need for this particular camera, I think I'll need an 8MP varifocal camera with a 1/1.8" cmos. Do they make such a thing right now?

Or at least, here's what I'm finding: According to IPVM, I'm getting roughly the same image with the 1813E at 6mm that I get with the B5442E-ZE at maximum zoom. Given they use the same CMOS, the only explanation I can see for that is that the extra resolution is helping here. Problem is, 12mm is too narrow, and going with a camera that has an even longer lens won't help because it will just continue to get more narrow. I do need more narrow than 6mm, but I'm not able to pinpoint just how far I need to go.

EDIT: Thinking I need between 37 and 45 degree FOV at 8MP

EDIT2: Perhaps LNE8964AB?

Last edited:

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do love them. :) I will most likely buy 4 more of these with two being the longer range version as I upgrade my cameras. I was thinking of keeping the two 2MP Hikvision cameras with the 1/1.8" sensor as they are not bad. However, these cameras are that good. Then I will need to upgrade 3 PTZ cameras with this newer 1/1.8" sensor and in 4MP.
I just ordered the 2.8-12mm bullet. What nvr are u using?

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvisions. The DS-7716NI-I4/16P with 48TB of memory. Also a DS-7608NI-I2/8P with 16TB. For my 4 LP cameras a DS-7604NI-??/4P.
Are they 4k nvr? I have 5 year old dahua 4208poe. Im hoping this camera will work with my nvr. Thx.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, quick update here. I've been testing the latest FW (I know @EMPIRETECANDY will be making available soon) for the B5442 and T5442 and apart from everything on it looking good there are a couple of nice additions. Specifically SMD (Smart Motion Detection) is enabled when using the latest FW for both cameras. On top of this it actually does work (i.e. its not a glitch). I have these 2 set to a 5216 and sure enough it now recognizes the cams as supporting the feature and records the resulting footage with the correct Human or Motor Vehicle tags. Just thought I would share that as both of these cams did not support it natively, this is a nice, free addition. Enjoy ! :)

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All, quick update here. I've been testing the latest FW (I know @EMPIRETECANDY will be making available soon) for the B5442 and T5442 and apart from everything on it looking good there are a couple of nice additions. Specifically SMD (Smart Motion Detection) is enabled when using the latest FW for both cameras. On top of this it actually does work (i.e. its not a glitch). I have these 2 set to a 5216 and sure enough it now recognizes the cams as supporting the feature and records the resulting footage with the correct Human or Motor Vehicle tags. Just thought I would share that as both of these cams did not support it natively, this is a nice, free addition. Enjoy ! :)
How do you enable this feature? Struggling to find it in my menu

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@dcmkii menu of the cam or the NVR ? Let me know and can help you out. Did you update the FW as haven't seen it posted yet. Remember this FW is needed to enable SMD

How do you enable this feature? Struggling to find it in my menu

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@dcmkii menu of the cam or the NVR ? Let me know and can help you out. Did you update the FW as haven't seen it posted yet. Remember this FW is needed to enable SMD
I guess I'll need the latest FW but I thought it came with default AI already
V2.800.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2019-11-18

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Comes with AI such as object filtering but SMD is new to this new firmware as I mentioned. Once you have that if you need further assistance just reach out, happy to help.

I guess I'll need the latest FW but I thought it came with default AI already
V2.800.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2019-11-18