Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was just going to buy X8 of those cams together with NVR5216-16P-I to get the support of face recognition with I found out that the DORI distance on the spec is 4-11m (for identify) while the HDW5442T-ZE mentions 6-13m.
That difference changes a lot for me.
I'm not sure however, if I can trust the Dahua specs and the T-ZE cam is really better in that sense.
Does anyone knows the answer?

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you THeDank
if I wasn't aware of the problematic specs list of Dahua and HikVision, I'd never ask such a question.
I also ASSUMED that the DORI distance would be the same in both cams.
but the cameras ARE different and the optics IS different and it's not all about different packaging.
if anything, I expected the E-ZE to be a bit better (less room may need some compromises to be done).

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, noticed a new update in the latest 5442 FW that I hadn't pointed out so will update here and in the variety turret cam posts. Specifically if you run an SD card as backup you now have more filtering options for playback. In other words tagging of captured clips is improved which is fantastic. In most other cams you are still limited to things like General, Intrusion, Event, Tripwire but the latest 5442 FW list is much more extensive.

Personally, unless I'm working a dark site install / project then all my cams have SD cards in (I highly recommend the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB) for backup. This new set of tags local to the cam makes it incredibly useful in being able to locate specific types of captures locally such as SMD (Human), SMD (Vehicle) etc.

Take a look

SD Card Playback Filtering Options 1 of 2.jpg SD Card Playback Filtering Options 2 of 2.jpg

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I find the SMD (filtering human and vehicle) doesn't work at night after installing the latest update, reverts back to normal motion detection and includes rain and bugs.
Anyone else experienced this?

Brazeal

n3wb
Reaction score
I find the SMD (filtering human and vehicle) doesn't work at night after installing the latest update, reverts back to normal motion detection and includes rain and bugs.
Anyone else experienced this?
I'm running the latest version and SMD works great for me, day and night. If you're running a schedule, log into your camera and make sure you have the correct settings for day and night. I clear the zone in the motion settings day and night and only use IVS with SMD filtering. I can't recall any false alarms from bugs after using SMD. I'm very impressed with it.

Last edited:

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running the latest version and SMD works great for me, day and night. If you're running a schedule, log into your camera and make sure you have the correct settings for day and night. I turn off the basic motion settings day and night and only use IVS with SMD filtering. I can't recall any false alarms from bugs after using SMD. I'm very impressed with it.
when i deactivate motion detection, it says that disabling motion detection will deactivate SMD.
right...i see you're using IVS rules.That works fine then. That's what I've got running now instead butI thought the point of SMD was to replace the classic motion detection without needing to draw any rules

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. SMD is enabled and relies on Motion Detection. What @Brazeal is referencing under IVS is Object Filtering. HTH clarify

when i deactivate motion detection, it says that disabling motion detection will deactivate SMD.
right...i see you're using IVS rules.That works fine then. That's what I've got running now instead butI thought the point of SMD was to replace the classic motion detection without needing to draw any rules

Brazeal

n3wb
Reaction score
I clear the zone in the motion settings. I still draw trip wires under IVS along with using the object filtering, because I don't want alerts when people are walking on sidewalks, just when they are in my yard.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
a little confused in here:
I've ordered 4 of those cams together with 4 of the new T-ZE.
what I need is: to set tripwire for human only plus, 3 of the cams are supposed to zoom three gates and there I'd like to set face recognition (using the AI NVR 5216-16P-I).
that NVR is supposed to add the facial recognition feature for those cams.
all in all: I want an alert if any human crossed the border walls and or if a stranger entered VIA one of the gates. as simple as that.
is that possible to set up?

Brazeal

n3wb
Reaction score
a little confused in here:
I've ordered 4 of those cams together with 4 of the new T-ZE.
what I need is: to set tripwire for human only plus, 3 of the cams are supposed to zoom three gates and there I'd like to set face recognition (using the AI NVR 5216-16P-I).
that NVR is supposed to add the facial recognition feature for those cams.
all in all: I want an alert if any human crossed the border walls and or if a stranger entered VIA one of the gates. as simple as that.
is that possible to set up?
The 5442s support facial detection only, not facial recognition. You can easily set them to detect humans only with object filtering.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank Brazeal
I was actually talking about face recognition!!!
the AI NVR5216-16P-I support 4 facial recognition OR up to 16 if using FD camera. those ARE FD cams AFAIK.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes the -I model supports taking 4 FD only streams and applying FR processing to the stream.

WRT cams supporting FR natively, look for that within the model number e.g 7442H-ZFR which supports in cam FR processing. With that said be careful at what you give up, in the case of the 7442H-ZFR you trade (lose) ANPR to gain FR.

Thank Brazeal
I was actually talking about face recognition!!!
the AI NVR5216-16P-I support 4 facial recognition OR up to 16 if using FD camera. those ARE FD cams AFAIK.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Wildcat,
first, the official specs of the NVR are mentioning: "4 channel video stream face recognition / 16 channel picture stream face recognition ( with FD camera) "
If I understand correct, I can get either 4 channels of face recognition using "normal" ip cams OR 16 channels of FR using FD cams.
As far as I understand, those cams support face detection and face capture so I can have as many as 16 of them supporting the FR.
That way or another, I do not need more than 4 of the cams to give me face recognition.
Actually, if I'd be lucky, I'd be able to use 3 of them with FR. do not forget that for FR we are talking about the right distance, the right height and I guess also the right angel.
Not experienced as you are, but still, I believe that if you mount a cam "right" to be used for FR, you compromise much more than "just" ANPR.
I guess that in most cases, if you want the FR to work as expected, you more or less dedicate the cam to FR with the way you mount it.

Anyway, if the tradeoff could start and finish with ANPR, it could be more than great. I do know that you guys like that feature very much but in my case, no camera is supposed to be pointed to the straight line of the street.
Moreover, the cams that are supposed to use the FR are pointing to the gates that are 90 degrees to the street. just by pointing them to the gates I give up the ability to see license plates.

If I could expect tradeoff, it's the IVS VS ANPR. From what I could understand, you need to choose between the two. Not sure if I understood correct though
I was looking for the combination of IVS+SMD+FR [if Human is crossing the fans, if Human is stranger and enters the gate etc.]

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In those line of cameras, they only support FR, OR Anpr. It's two different models. You have to chose the correct model for the function you need.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
wow wow wow..... good to know. luckily I told Andy that I'm planing to use the cams for FR.... I hope he is aware of the difference (saying it since it's a new line after all) cause the cams left his place yesterday.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And I was ordering 8 cams toegther !!!
[4XE-ZE - bullets and 4X T-ZE - turrets]

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
As both @looney2ns and I mentioned, the FR designated cams are for that purpose only and could never be repurposed for ANPR.

It seems you are absolutely looking for FR from your cams is that for a specific project or just personal desire ? The reason I ask is that FR does involve a lot of careful setup and indeed the import or creation of a database of facial images to work correctly. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the extra work to truly have an FR based system working well, recognizing successfully and ultimately providing useful end results.

wow wow wow..... good to know. luckily I told Andy that I'm planing to use the cams for FR.... I hope he is aware of the difference (saying it since it's a new line after all) cause the cams left his place yesterday.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thank you guys,
Andy is aware of the need to use the FR for the cams. that's why he suggested the upgrade from 4216-16P-I to 5216-16P-I
I was not aware of two different models. till yesterday, I was thinking it's operation modes: that you either use FR or chose the ANPR
I chose to order from a professional (Andy) and he never asked me to choose between FR or ANPR but he IS aware of that need (and therefore suggested the upgrade of the NVR).

I can only hope that he didn't make a terrible mistake cause the order has made it to Europe the time Looney2ns was talking about the two models.

It seems you are absolutely looking for FR from your cams is that for a specific project or just personal desire ? The reason I ask is that FR does involve a lot of careful setup and indeed the import or creation of a database of facial images to work correctly. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the extra work to truly have an FR based system working well, recognizing successfully and ultimately providing useful end results.
looney: I do trust the SMD and IVS to identify human crossing the walls around the house. If FR requires an almost perfect image to identify, I do expect the case of human detection to work way better (maybe I'm wrong here too).
adding to that, I wanted three of the cams to closely check the gates. the worst case, they would not always identify that it's a family member that entered and classify us as stranger. but I do expect the system to identify that a person just entered the gate.
is that too much to ask? maybe
BUT if that's the case, I don't mind to operate the alarm only at night time (just like an alarm when you go to sleep). In those special occasions when a family member enter the house after midnight, they can be asked to directly face the cam to avoid false alarm.

in my setup, the cams are not pointing to the street and I have no special interest to create a list of the passing cars in my street.
from what I can see, both the HDW5442T-ZE and the HFW5442E-ZE clearly mentions FACE DETECTION and mentions nothing about sub-models.
however, the two of you were already playing with the camera and are talking about different models you need to order

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In those line of cameras, they only support FR, OR Anpr. It's two different models. You have to chose the correct model for the function you need.
took me a long time after panicking to read it carefully:
The NVR I was choosing is supposed to support 4 channels of ordinary IP cams for FR OR support up to 16 channels of FR using FD cams.

Now, if the FR is reliable or not?
I never expected it to be bullet proof (though 4 of the cams ARE bullet cams ;) )
I do expect a big headache with the setup and do expect it to miss with recognizing known people: at low light, saturation, rain, some profiles etc. plus mounting not as perfect as the manufacture would for shows.
but as long as the SMD would find every human crossing the line at night, knowing that here and there is would NOT identify family members, I'd be good to go and even trigger a siren when we go to sleep.
If that's what it takes, I don't mind giving a nice clear headon look to the cam when I enter the house after midnight once in a fool moon.

could be a nice test for me. I could only wish that my neighbors would shared that thought.