Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes the 4 channels of regular IP being processed as FR is what I mentioned above. As I said, FR if you take the time to setup correctly (that means FOV and config) then you can get very good results. If interested take a look at my 4K PTZ review where I show how this works in cam and on NVR. Just remember that to ‘recognize’ you need a database, either existing or build as you go.

In most business, corporate, enterprise or government FR installs you usually have a substantial and rich DB to start with and then augment with further IDs as you go. With residential you might have things like people you know or neighbors etc. You didn’t mention your specific need to use FR or why you want it so if you share here or DM me can offer some more assistance.

With regards to your comment about SMD, remember that is different. SMD is based on Motion Detection which will just apply filtering to human or vehicle when motion is detected, no FR will be applied to SMD by itself. In other words SMD will just ensure that only motion that can be tied to a human or vehicle is captured. It’s the FR processing of the stream on NVR that will do the DB lookup for facial ID.

Just remember that Face Recognition is its own special AI type and that is where you would configure the specifics of FR within the NVR.

HTH

took me a long time after panicking to read it carefully:
The NVR I was choosing is supposed to support 4 channels of ordinary IP cams for FR OR support up to 16 channels of FR using FD cams.

Now, if the FR is reliable or not?
I never expected it to be bullet proof (though 4 of the cams ARE bullet cams ;) )
I do expect a big headache with the setup and do expect it to miss with recognizing known people: at low light, saturation, rain, some profiles etc. plus mounting not as perfect as the manufacture would for shows.
but as long as the SMD would find every human crossing the line at night, knowing that here and there is would NOT identify family members, I'd be good to go and even trigger a siren when we go to sleep.
If that's what it takes, I don't mind giving a nice clear headon look to the cam when I enter the house after midnight once in a fool moon.

could be a nice test for me. I could only wish that my neighbors would shared that thought.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems like motion detection events do flow to non Dahua NVR's, but IVS does not. Would SMD events (subset of all motion events) flow in the stream to non-Dahua NVRs? Synology Surveillance Station as an example. Just the notification that an event happened.

I have a NVR5216-4KS2 (with several 5231's) and a 5442 is on the way, but been toying around with the Synology Surveillance Station just to play.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Sixto

As you mentioned, only MD events (not IVS) will flow from Dahua cams to non Dahua NVRs. Although SMD is tied to MD (AI applied to MD events) once the Dahua cams tag those events as SMD (human or vehicle) to differentiate, only Dahua NVRs will read those tags. Therefore you will only ever see ‘Event’ in this case from your Synology NAS.

Last thing to remember here is that since SMD (true SMD not to be confused with IVS + Object Filtering) is processed by the camera, the resulting stream and associated capture does benefit from SMD being applied I.e the resulting capture took place because SMD detected a human rather than a leaf or ball BUT a non Dahua NVR cannot read the tagging applied to the clips therefore will only result in an Event notification.

In summary, what this means in the case of SMD is that you benefit from on camera AI detecting which motion to capture that meets SMD requirements even though the resulting cap will only show as Event or Motion event on a non Dahua NVR.

Lastly, with all of that said, trust me as a guy that has a number of NAS units (QNAP and others) I would not advocate using them natively for security. You are way better off with the NVR (5216 etc etc) or NVR platform (BI).

HTH

It seems like motion detection events do flow to non Dahua NVR's, but IVS does not. Would SMD events (subset of all motion events) flow in the stream to non-Dahua NVRs? Synology Surveillance Station as an example. Just the notification that an event happened.

I have a NVR5216-4KS2 (with several 5231's) and a 5442 is on the way, but been toying around with the Synology Surveillance Station just to play.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Sixto

As you mentioned, only MD events (not IVS) will flow from Dahua cams to non Dahua NVRs. Although SMD is tied to MD (AI applied to MD events) once the Dahua cams tag those events as SMD (human or vehicle) to differentiate, only Dahua NVRs will read those tags. Therefore you will only ever see ‘Event’ in this case from your Synology NAS.

Last thing to remember here is that since SMD (true SMD not to be confused with IVS + Object Filtering) is processed by the camera, the resulting stream and associated capture does benefit from SMD being applied I.e the resulting capture took place because SMD detected a human rather than a leaf or ball BUT a non Dahua NVR cannot read the tagging applied to the clips therefore will only result in an Event notification.

In summary, what this means in the case of SMD is that you benefit from on camera AI detecting which motion to capture that meets SMD requirements even though the resulting cap will only show as Event or Motion event on a non Dahua NVR.

Lastly, with all of that said, trust me as a guy that has a number of NAS units (QNAP and others) I would not advocate using them natively for security. You are way better off with the NVR (5216 etc etc) or NVR platform (BI).

HTH
Thanks.

What I was wondering if you could tell the camera to only tag "motion" for SMD events, nothing else. If the camera passes all motion events, and the non-Dahua can't differentiate SMD from other motion, could the camera just pass SMD events, as just "motion", and pass no other motion.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You didn’t mention your specific need to use FR or why you want it so if you share here or DM me can offer some more assistance.
I'm very sorry, for some reason I thought it was obvious:
I have a yard surrounded by straight walls and fences 5ft tall.
ordered X8 AI 5442 cams plus NVR 5216-16P-I that is expected to be able to use the FD and give me FR in exchange.
MOST cams are supposed to see the yard and the walls.
now, in even of a human is climbing the 5ft walls and enter the property I would like to set off the alarm.
to do so, I intend to use the Tripwire (perimeter protection) IVS rule.
next step:
I have three gates. the wishful scenario is to set off the alarm at night when a stranger enters the gate. family member = ignore; known person = record; stranger = set off the alarm.
to do so, I would like to point a cam to each of the gates and use the FR function. most of the people entering the gates after midnight are family. I have pretty good DB of pictures for the DB.
I am aware of the fact that in many of the cases, the known person would not be recognized. I expect my setup, in such a scenario to function just like a case of a human that crossed the fence - set off the alarm.
worst case scenario, the FR would worth nothing and I'd still be able to use the setup during the night when no human is expected to enter the property.
if I could only know I could trust the human detection, it would be okay. if only for the night time.

I do know that CIF notes advise to first install a conventional alarm system. However, they were probably written some time ago, it's not supposed to be replacement for internal alarm and it's too late for me to find someone in the house.
external alarm with no smart cams have way more false alarms.
I was hoping, that is I can trust the perimeter protection to to the classification of human, I trust a smart system that actually "see".
if we can soon trust smart cams to drive our cars, if we had the facial recognition of Picasa 15 years ago and it was working great with normal pictures, it's about time to try and use that technology at 2020.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
When you have SMD enabled (which is tied to Motion Detection), all motion events get processed against the SMD AI and your choice of object (Human, Vehicle, both). Therefore the resulting 'Event' that you see should only include those caps that meet the SMD requirements.

HTH

Thanks.

What I was wondering if you could tell the camera to only tag "motion" for SMD events, nothing else. If the camera passes all motion events, and the non-Dahua can't differentiate SMD from other motion, could the camera just pass SMD events, as just "motion", and pass no other motion.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the detail review, Got one of the IPC-B5442E-Z4E from andy last night cannot wait to mount and get this up and running :D Thank You so far from your review what I see it does looks a great camera

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you have SMD enabled (which is tied to Motion Detection), all motion events get processed against the SMD AI and your choice of object (Human, Vehicle, both). Therefore the resulting 'Event' that you see should only include those caps that meet the SMD requirements.

HTH
Is there update for smart IR? Just got this 2 weeks ago but shows build date 11/19. Thx.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI ... the newest Synology Station now supports Dahua IVS ...

"Added support for Dahua Intelligent Video System (IVS) to compatible cameras"

Just tested on 5231, and it works. Haven't tested my new 5442 yet, the 5442 isn't on the supported list yet, though it might work with a different camera selected.

My primary recording device is the NVR5216-4KS2, thus just playing around at the moment.

Figured I'd mention here since this was mentioned the other day.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turret Shoppers - For turret uses specifically, If you know your installation site well, can accommodate one of the 3 fixed lens options (2.8, 3.6, or 6mm), have no need for optical zoom then I would absolutely looking at the 5442 turrets.

Bullet Cam Shoppers - For those in the market for a bullet style vari-cam and were considering a 5231 then in my opinion the B5442E-ZE is a definite replacement and I would recommend purchasing one (taking into account the caveats above). Just remember that right now a Z5E (5x) and Z12E (12x) does not exist but I hope Dahua will bring these to market as would be a great potential successor to the 5231E-Z12E for LPR duties.
What Turret do you recommend? I can find for example IPC-HDW5442TM-AS

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
SMD issue i already reported to dahua guy on last fw 20200814 they will update w,ith the SMART IR issues tomorrow, so 25th we will get another new version for testing.
Dahua did some discount for us, so we down the price on the amazon. Help guys save some money!
Have enough stocks now.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Funkyduck what ^ @looney2ns said ;) Also, If you aren’t comfortable matching a focal length to your install location then go for the vari (5442T-ZE vari) model so you have the ability to set and forget up to 12mm as needed. .
Thank you very much! At the version without zoom, I also see ghosting in the review movie when the person walks. The zoom version looks good.
I don't see IR leds in the camera. Why is this?
Is this camera compatible with my surveillance station?
Where do you advice to buy?

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think these best Dahua models are not supported by surveillance station?
Isn't there a good Hikversion version with this 1/1.8 sensor?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think these best Dahua models are not supported by surveillance station?
Surveillance System has long supported basic ONVIF functions with Dahua cameras (like recording, changing settings, and basic motion detection). There have been a lot of recent posts about Surveillance Station getting an upgrade and now supporting Dahua's IVS features (better motion detection with optional human and vehicle filters). Prob. worth checking into on your end.

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Surveillance System has long supported basic ONVIF functions with Dahua cameras (like recording, changing settings, and basic motion detection). There have been a lot of recent posts about Surveillance Station getting an upgrade and now supporting Dahua's IVS features (better motion detection with optional human and vehicle filters). Prob. worth checking into on your end.
You mean this upgrade?
I will do that now.
And then these models of Dahua are available?
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-28 om 12.18.57.png