Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua)

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I design circuit cards for work. Even standard commerical IC parts are good to 85C junction temps. A switch isn't gonna produce the heat of a router. I think it can be managed but I appreciate the insight.
If you design CCAs you know that operating at higher temps = lower MTBF. Are 85C junction temps true on those cheap Chinese parts?

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
If you design CCAs you know that operating at higher temps = lower MTBF. Are 85C junction temps true on those cheap Chinese parts?
Yes I do know that. Again, I said it's not ideal...
Outside of building a new house some tradeoffs will have to be made.
I wish I was involved with this house when it was built. I've bought 2 houses and yet to get to plan my wiring. Hopefully for my 3rd I do.
Pics of house attached. Backyard has a pool and patio.

Attachments

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ideally it would be air conditioned.
I just don't have luxury of running all wiring down to master closet. Existing tube is not gonna handle all that wiring.
Only option would be to try to run into upstairs kids closet with all camera wiring and place switch there. From there id have to go back into attic and down tube to master closet where router lies.
Router and modem will live in air condition.
I think I can solve the temp problem if encountered. I'll read into spec sheets of switch I get to see what ambient temps they are rated for. I design circuit cards for work. Even standard commerical IC parts are good to 85C junction temps. A switch isn't gonna produce the heat of a router. I think it can be managed but I appreciate the insight.
Definitely glad I haven't run cables yet as I continue to rethink this install.
Tubing, PVC can easily be replaced/Installed by your installer unless they are long runs or difficult access. I installed the 2 inch PVC pipe myself with a 45 at top in the attic along with a pull string for easy future pulls.
I have installed many fan switches and APs in very hot warehouses so I do understand they can work, even though I remember having to replace a few when they died. So if you just have just a switch in the attic, you should be find if humidity is not a problem. Of course make sure the switch has fan(s) and good air flow. Still might want to think about backup power, especially for security cams, especially if your electrical panel is easily accessible. Thinking Security, you have to think like a thief, cut power, cut Internet access, (old school cut telephone lines). find and steal NVR, etc. :), ok those may not always apply, maybe I watch to many movies :)
When we moved in our neighborhood, a new neighbor shared some break in stories, one was thieves would come as yard crew, one guy would start mowing the front yard while the others headed to the back and came out with black garbage bags full of your belongings. FYI, @samplenhold it was in Spring, TX., probably why you have 18 Cams :) I still mow my own yard so if a crew is in front of my house, call the police :) Funny but only the old guys in our neighborhood mow their own lawns, lol...

You are definitely in the right Forum, best the world in my opinion. So much great knowledge here, I would definitely recommend, as other have, read through the Cliff Notes, I know it is long but it answered the majority of my questions. There is just so many things to consider that I never thought of, waterproofing, spiders :), etc.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
Tubing, PVC can easily be replaced/Installed by your installer unless they are long runs or difficult access. I installed the 2 inch PVC pipe myself with a 45 at top in the attic along with a pull string for easy future pulls.
I have installed many fan switches and APs in very hot warehouses so I do understand they can work, even though I remember having to replace a few when they died. So if you just have just a switch in the attic, you should be find if humidity is not a problem. Of course make sure the switch has fan(s) and good air flow. Still might want to think about backup power, especially for security cams, especially if your electrical panel is easily accessible. Thinking Security, you have to think like a thief, cut power, cut Internet access, (old school cut telephone lines). find and steal NVR, etc. :), ok those may not always apply, maybe I watch to many movies :)
When we moved in our neighborhood, a new neighbor shared some break in stories, one was thieves would come as yard crew, one guy would start mowing the front yard while the others headed to the back and came out with black garbage bags full of your belongings. FYI, @samplenhold it was in Spring, TX., probably why you have 18 Cams :) I still mow my own yard so if a crew is in front of my house, call the police :) Funny but only the old guys in our neighborhood mow their own lawns, lol...

You are definitely in the right Forum, best the world in my opinion. So much great knowledge here, I would definitely recommend, as other have, read through the Cliff Notes, I know it is long but it answered the majority of my questions. There is just so many things to consider that I never thought of, waterproofing, spiders :), etc.
I can ask. I just really doubt the existing tube from downstairs master closet where what limited wiring does exist all goes is gonna be able to be swapped with a larger tube going all the way up to attic.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
On the outside, in one view, out the soffet, down the downspout and you're good to go. Maybe a little piece of conduit, painted to blend/match with the bricks to get the camera away from the downspout and further to the front and/or rear.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
On the outside, in one view, out the soffet, down the downspout and you're good to go. Maybe a little piece of conduit, painted to blend/match with the bricks to get the camera away from the downspout and further to the front and/or rear.
Yes. A corner located one is easy to hide. It's the 5 other locations I'm struggling with.
Only thing I can think is sort of as you said.
Try to drop in corners with multiple wires. Then run sideways along house and try to hide.
Just worried about UV exposure on wiring and I don't want a bunch of conduit running all over sides of house.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I do know that. Again, I said it's not ideal...
Outside of building a new house some tradeoffs will have to be made.
I wish I was involved with this house when it was built. I've bought 2 houses and yet to get to plan my wiring. Hopefully for my 3rd I do.
Pics of house attached. Backyard has a pool and patio.
Two story houses are hard to wire. Looking at your pics you may need to think of a few WiFi Cams. No one here, including myself is a fan of them., but your flood light on your garage has power that could supply power to the Cam, if you cannot get wire there. WiFi Cam is better than no Cam. Also, I wonder about the window by your A/C unit, maybe the installer can gain access there.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
Two story houses are hard to wire. Looking at your pics you may need to think of a few WiFi Cams. No one here, including myself is a fan of them., but your flood light on your garage has power that could supply power to the Cam, if you cannot get wire there. WiFi Cam is better than no Cam. Also, I wonder about the window by your A/C unit, maybe the installer can gain access there.
I'll look at conduit before I mess with WiFi cams anymore. I've tried Arlo and wasn't a fan overall. Hence why I'm here.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll look at conduit before I mess with WiFi cams anymore. I've tried Arlo and wasn't a fan overall. Hence why I'm here.
No, I understand and agree but Dahua/Hikvision has their WiFi Cams, they are in a whole different league than Arlo, Nest, Ring Cams.

Search Results for “wifi” – Dahua Technology USA Inc

They even have a floodlight cam too.

But I would be like you, run conduit before WiFing my Security Cams...

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Stay away from WiFi cameras. Too many dropouts unless everything is perfect all the time. A dedicated RF link like a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco would work and is encrypted and very reliable. That could easily link the garage to the house.

Another way to get wire lower down, without having conduit running all over the surface of the house, would be to bury it and "pop up" at each camera location. You would need to be careful of any underground utility lines, but it is another way to get cameras up low enough without having the house ringed, visibly, in PVC, EMT or rigid conduit. I don't know the layout but maybe you could also get the the garage the same way.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stay away from WiFi cameras. Too many dropouts unless everything is perfect all the time. A dedicated RF link like a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco would work and is encrypted and very reliable. That could easily link the garage to the house.

Another way to get wire lower down, without having conduit running all over the surface of the house, would be to bury it and "pop up" at each camera location. You would need to be careful of any underground utility lines, but it is another way to get cameras up low enough without having the house ringed, visibly, in PVC, EMT or rigid conduit. I don't know the layout but maybe you could also get the the garage the same way.
I knew I should not have said WiFi :) I agree, though I have a WiFi Hikvision Doorbell a year now with no disconnects :), still would not want my main security cams WiFi.
So the Nano AP turns the Cam into a sort of WiFi Cam with better reliability and encryption being dedicated? I need to read up on the Nano...Interesting...They look like a great solution for PtP bridging networks...Please forgive my ignorance...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not ignorance not to be familiar with everything, especially something as arcane as a dedicated RF link system. I use one to link my sheds to the house. It has two cameras on it, a 2MP and a 4MP, and has bandwidth for easily doubling that. I use a four port PoE switch in one shed to combine the camera feeds into the Loco.

I will say you are one of the very few who have not had problems with dropouts on a doorbell camera.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's not ignorance not to be familiar with everything, especially something as arcane as a dedicated RF link system. I use one to link my sheds to the house. It has two cameras on it, a 2MP and a 4MP, and has bandwidth for easily doubling that. I use a four port PoE switch in one shed to combine the camera feeds into the Loco.

I will say you are one of the very few who have not had problems with dropouts on a doorbell camera.
Thank you for not throwing stones. Really enjoy learning more and more each day in this Forum. Can I ask how far away your sheds are? I noticed TP-Link has theirs too, I ended up going with TP-Link Managed Switches so I am just curious.

I too am amazed at the DB Cam, for those who know me here, I brag a lot about it :), we have several who have also not had disconnects, but also several you have. Guess it is really up to your network. The DB does not have a great range, like a lot of WiFi devices, but it Rocks in it's features.

Sorry for being :offtopic:

Thank you for your knowledge...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The closest shed, where the Nano is, is only about 100 feet from the window where the house end is. It does "shoot" through the wall of the shed though with no problems. I could mount that end outside the shed but it was easier to leave it inside. The connection has stayed rock solid through all types of weather conditions, from torrential rain, lightening and heavy snow so I class it is very reliable. According to the specs it will work out to about 3Km but I haven't tested that at all.

Last edited:

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not trying to be a jerk here, but after the first page this thread got derailed.
The person with the install questions should post over here:
This way the review can be a review and the person with install questions can get advice from the whole site and not just from the dahua forum.

Jgree32

n3wb
Reaction score
Not trying to be a jerk here, but after the first page this thread got derailed.
This way the review can be a review and the person with install questions can get advice from the whole site and not just from the dahua forum.
You're not wrong. I will post there until I get these cameras which I'm likely going with no matter what.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just posting here too for continued reference. Completed my testing of latest 8/25 FW and put my findings and video up of night testing HERE for anyone interested. HTH

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My apologies...

Funkyduck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
See this thread:

the same for ali?