Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Hover the mouse pointer over the zoom slider and a box will appear with the "zoom number". You will need the high and low numbers for the calculator, but the low one should be (better be) zero.

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hover the mouse pointer over the zoom slider and a box will appear with the "zoom number". You will need the high and low numbers for the calculator, but the low one should be (better be) zero.
I just did this a few days ago. Here are my numbers for the IPC-T5442T-ZE:
2.8 mm ~ 24 on slider
3.6 mm ~ 220 on slider
6 mm ~ 807 on the slider

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello...has anyone had issues or noticed any features missing when using and configuring IPC-T5442T-ZE through BI via a server VS a Dahua NVR. I am planning to build a system using IPC-T5442T-ZE but instead of using NVR I am more inclined to use a server with BI. Wanted to get some feedback if i will be missing any features if I use BI and not the NVR.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello...has anyone had issues or noticed any features missing when using and configuring IPC-T5442T-ZE through BI via a server VS a Dahua NVR. I am planning to build a system using IPC-T5442T-ZE but instead of using NVR I am more inclined to use a server with BI. Wanted to get some feedback if i will be missing any features if I use BI and not the NVR.
All pertinent settings are performed in the cameras GUI it's self, not in BI.
You will gain many features by using BI over an NVR.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am testing this camera and I have quite few questions. I did not make any changes to the camera settings, the camera is located at about 7 feet height, at night even at 8 feet distance I am not able to get ID. Please take a look at attached pic. Can someone please suggest if i need to make any changes to the settings?

1602861966793.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
More light for one, (you have light but the subject is backlit. Light direction matters) but it all depends on WHERE you want ID. At the garage door I think you would, at 25ft out not so much. Is this the vari-focus model? If so have you used the zoom?

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More light for one, (you have light but the subject is backlit. Light direction matters) but it all depends on WHERE you want ID. At the garage door I think you would, at 25ft out not so much. Is this the vari-focus model? If so have you used the zoom?
Thanks. This is the one IPC-T5442T-ZE I have. The pic that i posted is camera located at about 7 feet.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera height isnt the problem. Do you even know how to zoom the camera?
On BI there are two icons next to eye shaped icon, i am using that but doesn't make any difference when clicking on live video?

Reaction score
@S0619212 realize that ALL cam adjustments are done in the cam's GUI (web interface, aka browser) A varifocal cam is not a PTZ cam. You find the best FOV and leave it there.

On edit: rather than hijack this thread, start one asking for help with your specific issue.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You have motion blur in that pic too. I do understand why people prefer color at night but if everything is dialed in right with B&W and IR, I think you'd see much better results even at that distance.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@S0619212 realize that ALL cam adjustments are done in the cam's GUI (web interface, aka browser) A varifocal cam is not a PTZ cam. You find the best FOV and leave it there.

On edit: rather than hijack this thread, start one asking for help with your specific issue.
Will do .Thanks

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Firstly, have you looked at the picture without the garage door open? It's adding light to the scene which may be stopping the camera gaining up as much as is necessary. Hence the backlight effect. Close your garage door, have no lights on then capture an image. If it's still poor, there are threads on here for the ideal settings for this camera to get good pictures at night ie the ideal balance between shutter, gain etc.

If that doesn't work, another alternative is to increase the ambient light levels. Option 1, a PIR sensor light can save electricity but you want it to detect at pavement level as cameras take a few seconds to react to change in light levels leaving a second or two of unsuable footage. Your pavement doesn't look busy so I doubt it will eb constantly on and off, at least not later in the night. There are also driveway beam sensors that can be used to detect soemone crossing onto your property. Again search on here.

Alternatively, a stronger dusk till dawn light (a dusk till dawn sensor can take the hassle out of the switching) and an LED bulb can keep the electricity cost low. Sometimes as well several lights with lower wattage may give better coverage than a single high wattage light. It all depends. You can always put 1 light up and then add others if needed. Also lights don't have to be floods, there's no reason why a light coudln't be decorative and either traditional or modern to your tastes. Just be careful not to place it / them too near to the camera or two much in camera view where light spill or direct view might affect image quality or create blindspots through dazzle. In your picture, the open garage door is considerably adding light to the shot which would otherwise be very dark. To that end, it looks to me as if you need a light in the centre of the drive, maybe a flood over the central pillar between the garage doors to light the driveway to illuiminate anyone trying to attack the a garage ideal if sensor controlled, and another dusk to dawn light near the front door to illuminate the garden / path up to the front door. Just my opinion and others may differ in their assessment.

Last edited: