Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Amgclk65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson
That makes more sense . I’m pretty happy with the camera. For the cost not too bad. I was a bit Hesitant to have it in the front yard with the LED lights on. But it actually doesn’t look too bad. It’s wife approved

Sonic01

n3wb
Reaction score
To be honest, I only took the risk of taking my own camera apart, because I didn't fancy sending it back to China - only to face the risk of import charges on a replacement that could potentially have the same issues.

I haven't yet done anywhere near enough testing, but comparing the ColorVu to the Varifocal version of the Dahua that I have - I will make the following provisional comments...

The Hikvision is about 25% cheaper than the Dahua, looks physically less imposing than the Dahua, and has low-light (in colour only) performance that equals (perhaps even beats) my old 2MP 1/1.8 Darkfigher.

Compared to the old 3MP Hikvision cameras with 1/3" sensors (such as the DS-2CD2032-i), the difference is a bit like switching from a decent compact digital cameras to a DSLR. When it comes to poor lighting, the ColorVu is certainly in a different league.

Sticking with the digital camera analogy, though... Using the Dahua is a bit like the first time you remove that cheap kit lens that came with your DSLR and stick a really good piece of glass on it. Even at 1:1 (100% image zoom), the picture is crisper and even more detailed than the Hikvision ColorVu in daylight and dusk conditions. Only in very low light does the ColorVu start to take the edge (colour accuracy is also a strong point)

The Hikvision ColorVu is clearly designed specifically for people who want the best possible colour images in low light conditions - for an affordable price. And for under 150 euros I don't know of any other camera that comes close.

On the other hand, the Dahua (about 50 euros more expensive) might not quite match the ColorVu in terms of ultra low light colour, but when switched to night mode with IR disabled - it does benefit from that typical improvement in detail and noise that everyone probably notices on their own cameras when they first switch over.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to confirm my theory yet, but my suspicion is that the Dahua might just beat the Hikvision in terms of being able to resolve the most detail in low light (with equal shutter speed and despite the aperture) - at the expense being able to tell what colour something is.

I will keep you all posted.

Craig.
I requested a return with Andy and he said he'll just swap it for the Dahua T5442TM, I was so impressed with this camera i decided to replace both my old rubbish PTZ Domes with them so I've ordered another, will have 4 in total.

He also asked me to just take it apart and see if i could adjust the lens anyway, I did it but could see the 3 bits of epoxy mentioned at the base of the lens, i told him its fixed in place with that and i didnt want to remove it so he said ok no problem to send it back.

Well, if you are comparing a CURRENT generation hikvision colourvu to a PREVIOUS generation dahua of course you're going to see a vast improvement. Speaking just about the current generations which is what i was comparing, the Dahua T5442TM and Hikvision T2347G, they are both the same price on Andy's store and the Hik is about twice the size of the Dahua.

craigspc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
, Well, if you are comparing a CURRENT generation hikvision colourvu to a PREVIOUS generation dahua of course you're going to see a vast improvement. Speaking just about the current generations which is what i was comparing, the Dahua T5442TM and Hikvision T2347G, they are both the same price on Andy's store and the Hik is about twice the size of the Dahua.
I think there has been some confusion.

My post was primarily an initial follow-up to recent requests for a comparison between my 4mm ColorVu and Varifocal IPC-D5442E-ZE cameras (not old dahua cameras). I’m a bit behind schedule on testing, so I wanted to offer my first impressions. The reference to my old Hikvision cameras was just included to give people something to compare the new cameras to. I added this, because I felt that while most people would expect the new cameras to be much better, it might not be clear just how much better they are. Even I was surprised by how the ColorVu stacked up against the older 1/1.8 2MP darkfighter, despite the difference in pixel density.

Sorry for the confusion and hopefully with the added context it will make more sense. I don’t think anything I said about my dahua was negative though (I described it as sharper and more detailed than the colorvu, with exception of ultra low light colour - whereby shutter speed has to be considered as a critical factor in getting a useable image).

I hope you manage to get your replacement 5442 camera sorted out soon.

Craig.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I requested a return with Andy and he said he'll just swap it for the Dahua T5442TM, I was so impressed with this camera i decided to replace both my old rubbish PTZ Domes with them so I've ordered another, will have 4 in total.

He also asked me to just take it apart and see if i could adjust the lens anyway, I did it but could see the 3 bits of epoxy mentioned at the base of the lens, i told him its fixed in place with that and i didnt want to remove it so he said ok no problem to send it back.

Well, if you are comparing a CURRENT generation hikvision colourvu to a PREVIOUS generation dahua of course you're going to see a vast improvement. Speaking just about the current generations which is what i was comparing, the Dahua T5442TM and Hikvision T2347G, they are both the same price on Andy's store and the Hik is about twice the size of the Dahua.
I get the camera, and will make a analysis, will update after Chinese new year holiday. 2 weeks later. :headbang:

Sonic01

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah i saw your revised post with the model numbers, it makes more sense now :)

glad you received it Andy, I received the new T5442TM's yesterday as well, just waiting for my additional Synology licenses to turn up now so i can connect everything up...

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the Colorvu ds-2cd2347g3e-L and the Colorvu ds-2cd2347g1-lu ?
The specs seem the same the price however is around £55, when searching I get results for Hikvision Sri Lanka. I found these for sale with the Hikvision dealer in Qatar

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No both are turrets, picture of the label attached

IMG_20200119_133539.jpg
It's the price I don't understand, how can it be so cheap ?

elliottwe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the Colorvu ds-2cd2347g3e-L and the Colorvu ds-2cd2347g1-lu ?
The specs seem the same the price however is around £55, when searching I get results for Hikvision Sri Lanka. I found these for sale with the Hikvision dealer in Qatar

The Hikvision Colorvu product launch literature says the U models include a microphone.

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I am back in Qatar for a few weeks and today purchased 2no of the Colorvu 4MP DS-2CD2347G3E-L from the Hikvision dealer , compared to the DS-2CD2347G1-LU that I already have fitted in the UK there is a massive difference in the price, I paid only £50 ($65) each for these and the only difference I can see is that the mounting base is a bit different and I can't see anywhere to lock the position of the camera, the specs of the cameras seem identical. These appear to be sold mainly in the Asian and Indian Market but as I said for £50 each this is amazing :) JPEG_20200201_185659_773618790087849630.jpg

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do they do on-line sales?
No, unfortunately, they don't. but this model and the turret must be available elsewhere that do. When checking the model online it appears mainly on south and south-east Asian websites sites but strangely nowhere on any Hikvision site.

I found this site, maybe they would export.

Last edited:

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another Colorvu that I have found for sale at the Hikvision dealer in Qatar, price is equivalent to £60 and the mount is in the box, Has anyone seen this before or have any idea about it ? Full Spec sheet attached below the picture. View attachment 55291View attachment 55292

That thing looks hilarious with that mount. I've never seen that cam before in the US markets with that mount. The only thing close to the in US market is the ColorVue bullet ColorVu Outdoor Bullet

It always confuses me why Hikvision has different variations of the same exact camera throughout their world wide markets.

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That thing looks hilarious with that mount. I've never seen that cam before in the US markets with that mount. The only thing close to the in US market is the ColorVue bullet ColorVu Outdoor Bullet

It always confuses me why Hikvision has different variations of the same exact camera throughout their world wide markets.
I agree on the looks, but the price difference between this and the European and American markets is huge it's $77 out of the door and $68 for the turret, I'll probably buy at least 1 bullet to go with the 2 turrets I got last week and bring them back to the UK and replace some of my other cameras, or just make my house look ridiculous by adding them to the 6 already fitted :)

larryhagman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was about to buy some 4mp and 6mp Darkfighters for my driveway but since I have security lights out there, I wondered if the Colorvu might be worth considering. Based on experiences, would anyone give me their vote between the two, for the best clarity on nighttime footage?

Also, am I right in thinking there is NO IR whatsoever put out by the Colovu? If so, does it pick up IR lighting? I planned to install some IR floods to make sure I get no lens flare off rain and snow etc. But I think I read somewhere in this thread that the Colovu can't be used with external IR light sources. thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, am I right in thinking there is NO IR whatsoever put out by the Colovu?
That's correct, the LEDs emit white light.

If so, does it pick up IR lighting?
No, it has an IR filter. Not an IR-cut filter, a permanent IR filter.

I planned to install some IR floods to make sure I get no lens flare off rain and snow etc.
The camera will not see them.

But I think I read somewhere in this thread that the Colovu can't be used with external IR light sources
Correct, for IR sources.
But OK for white light sources.