Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im thinking of putting this on a pergola which would basically expose the cables to lots of snow and ice for several months. I think I would be better off using a junction box. Which junction box model is recommended?
That must be one tall pergola lol.

PTZs work best higher up and according to this review once the lens gets close to level it struggles with focus due to the dome.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That must be one tall pergola lol.

PTZs work best higher up and according to this review once the lens gets close to level it struggles with focus due to the dome.
Pergola is 11 feet, but there is a significant downslope another 10-20 feet. I won't be purchasing until I am confident the focus issue is resolved.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How loud is the motor when it's tracking?

Example Scenario: My neighbor drive into his/her driveway, camera will track him/her. Would they be able to hear the motor moving around?
It doesn't make much noise as it is tracking, until it stops tracking then returns home. You might hear that short burst of noise up to 50' away.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the testing.

I can't believe how well it tracks, even behind the tree branches.

Is it possible to run the cam with the dome removed? I have 2-3 positions that I would like to use this cam for and they are all inside pointing out a window, so no issue for the elements getting to them.

Could you post pics of the underside of the cam so we can see the mounting?
Indoors, sure you could use it without the dome without issue.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im thinking of putting this on a pergola which would basically expose the cables to lots of snow and ice for several months. I think I would be better off using a junction box. Which junction box model is recommended?
Any that fits from your local hardware store.
I would not leave the connections exposed.
WaterProofing Connections

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, @looney2ns on a very nice review! Been waiting on this. Very impressive auto tracking on this camera. Especially how it does not loose tracking when the subject goes behind the tree(s) and lightpost. And very smooth motion when tracking. Even though I think they could have stuffed the 1/1.8 sensor into this cam (it's quite a bit bigger than I thought), the tracking is much better than the 49225 and makes the cost seem like a bargain. But, the focus issue is concerning and hopefully it can be resolved with firmware updates.
If the night videos are done with the camera tweaked already, they are definitely not impressive. Way too dark, IMOP.

So, when does Dahua come out with the Mini PTZ Color4k-T version? That would be awesome!
On my monitors, the night videos don't appear too dark.
Yes, night has been tweaked settings wise.
Edited to add: There is plenty of room left to increase brightness and contrast settings in my case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anyone know where an actual spec sheet is available?
On my monitors, the night videos don't appear too dark.
Yes, night has been tweaked settings wise.
Edited to add: There is plenty of room left to increase brightness and contrast settings in my case.
It doesn't look like BLC is being used in the Backlight setting for the night shots. If not, what is being used please?

With that awesome auto tracking capability, no more pissing and moaning from me. It's back on my list of must have cameras. Along with the Color4k-T180.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know where an actual spec sheet is available?

It doesn't look like BLC is being used in the Backlight setting for the night shots. If not, what is being used please?

With that awesome auto tracking capability, no more pissing and moaning from me. It's back on my list of must have cameras. Along with the Color4k-T180.
Most of us try not to use any backlight during night time. It gives a great static image but usually results in artifacts or blur during motion.

Post #1 and the listing pretty much gives the specs:

Andy posted somewhere the tentative spec sheet, but I don't know if it differs from what is actually selling now.

Reaction score
Most of us try not to use any backlight during night time. It gives a great static image but usually results in artifacts or blur during motion.

The listing pretty much gives the specs:

The specs are there, but other than just 'screwing on to a soffit', are there any other mounting options. It's too new to even be on the Dahua International site, so no spec sheet there. The beauty of official Dahua spec sheets, is they normally show the most common mounting options, and that's what I'm looking for.

Reaction score
Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. That focus issue is surprising to me. I've used a few PTZ bubble domes like that and not seen it nearly so bad before.

It is an interesting cam for sure. But I wonder why they chose the small 4MP sensor. Probably gets a tighter field of view as a result. But I would gladly take a better sensor.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an old PFB203W wall mount bracket, but the PDF suggest wall mount bracket is Dahua PFB303W Mount for this ptz,
do you guys think is possible to use Dahua PFB203W wall mount bracket instead?

Reaction score
I have an old PFB203W wall mount bracket, but the PDF suggest wall mount bracket is Dahua PFB303W Mount for this ptz,
do you guys think is possible to use Dahua PFB203W wall mount bracket instead?
I don't see how. The radius from the center to the back of the mount is only 2 1/2". The cam diameter is 6.7", so the radius is more than 3".

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Looney.

Personally, I have a couple of issues with this cam for my needs. One is the dome, I'm not a fan of domes and can't help but think it's been made to designed and built to look high tech and trendy rather than with functionality in mind - turrets all day for me.

Second issue I picked up on is th shallow depth of field despite a small sensor. The guy walking the collie was out of focus whilst the the collie was razor sharp. You could blame dome curvature and maybe it still is, but with them so close together, I can't help but feel the're in the same area of the dome and thus it's shallow DOF with the camera focus locked to the dog.

Thirdly, I'm not keen on the use of such a small sensor. For many people's applications this won't matter as many people and businesses are quite happy for B&W and IR. However, having seen full colour at night, for me it's large sensors and full colour all the way.

With a couple of adjustments, it will probably be a good cheap for PTZ for many. From a purely personal pov, it just wouldn't be one for me or those who like colour at night.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Price is a little higher than I wanted to see too. For $5 more you can get the tried and true 2MP 25X. The smaller size appeals to me a lot but not sure the size trumps price/performance enough.

Reaction score
PDF attached?
Thank You! @samplenhold . New problem now as it shows the PFA101 mounting adapter as not having a 124mm bolt circle that the Spec sheet says is required. Seems like the pre=production spec sheet may be incorrect which would not be uncommon for Dahua. Am I missing something? This is getting to be more complicated than it should be.

@EMPIRETECANDY - Can you post an updated spec sheet for this camera? Or, maybe provide what mounts WILL work with this camera?