Rich Notifications

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I figured it out and got it working on my system:

Alerts with the 10 image gif ONLY work with port forwarding - If you have a vpn or stunnel enabled you will not get the animated alerts. When I disabled my vpn and setup port forwarding the 10 image GIF came through without a problem. The minute I turned the VPN back on the alerts came through just without an image

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I never had the VPN in my set up, but you did figure something out. Can you give us the 2 screenshots of your websettings as i did above, or just the details. Also are you android 8.x or 9.x?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was tested on an ipad... I didnt test it on android but I assume it would work the same

p1.jpg p2.jpg

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope. I just replicated your settings, disabled STunnel and no dice on Android 9.x
Hmm, I only tested it on my ipad but have a Galaxy s8+. When I get back home I will test it on android version 8.0.0

Last edited:

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just (for fun) went through the Remote Access Wizard to see if maybe there was something in there you couldn't set manually. I was surprised to find that they don't allow you to use Domain Names vs IP addresses (via the wizard). They also do not recommend a setup with a DMZ. So if you have a ISP Modem/Firewall prior to your main firewall, you will not be able to get all green flags to finish the wizard. I have a dual router setup, but I have the WAN IP of my inside firewall set as the DMZ IP for my Verizon Router. Shouldn't be an issue; but man I'm not ruling anything out.

OK. ChrisX has the biggest hint here, I just re-read his posts and he seems to have an android and an Apple device. He indicated he has Animated Gifs working on his Apple, but when he flips that one he gets the blank screen on his android. Dasstrum seems to have a similar setup. So we are getting close to knowing WHY this is happening.

Reaction score
The only way I could make the animated gifs work with the push notification (to iOS devices at least) was to use an ip address for the external access. Any time a domain name was used, it was not possible to get the enhanced notification.

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. Are you using stunnel/ssl?
I was (well am via traefik for signed https certs) but for purposes of the webserver configuration am not able to use the vanity hostname with 'stunnel'/ssl any more because I'd rather have the richer notifications. I expect that the issue preventing domain names and/or stunnel to eventually get fixed.

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do get notifications with android but randomly. I sometimes get a notification with a snapshot (not gif) and sometimes (from same camera) I get a notification with only a white "picture". I don't use stunnel or vpn. Only port forward.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi sretlow. Can you let us know what options you have selected in the webserver settinge area and it's advanced area. I have screen shots of mine above. Also do you find it works while you are on th WAN vs the LAN

sretlow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi sretlow. Can you let us know what options you have selected in the webserver settinge area and it's advanced area. I have screen shots of mine above. Also do you find it works while you are on th WAN vs the LAN
Hereby the screenshots. I've entered IP addresses for internal and external addresses. And I use a port like 51052. Not the realy used port btw.

Attachments