RIP IPC-HDW5231R-Z ??

Billl

n3wb
Reaction score
So I was all set to pick up a combination of these
IPC-HDW5231R-Z
IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
when I started cross-checking them online, and I can't find them on the new Dahua North America – Proven the World Over
site. The closest I see in form-factor to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z are 3MP, 4MP and 8MP units ..
Have they been replaced?
It looks like Andy still has some, but I can't help but wonder if I'm buying yesterday's goods.
It also has me wondering if Dahua did a reset, starting fresh with new models after the recent hack problem.

Finally, how can I tell if other Dahua models are "Starlight" technology?

thanks!
Bill

Billl

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it's because you need to be looking on their International website, not the North America one.
Thanks cali_guy, the old www1.dahuasecurity.com links don't work any more, and when I go to www.dahuasecurity.com it redirects me to us.dahuasecurity.com.
Any ideas how to get to their international site?
Maybe I need to VPN into some Asian server somewhere and then hit www.dahuasecurity.com ..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It also has me wondering if Dahua did a reset, starting fresh with new models after the recent hack problem.

thanks!
Bill
They all run essentially same firmware, every single camera is susceptible to hacks, never expose any camera to the internet.

Billl

n3wb
Reaction score
They all run essentially same firmware, every single camera is susceptible to hacks, never expose any camera to the internet.
Thanks fenderman,
Roger that. I don't allow any incoming connections and push images out to an ftp site where I can safely store and view them remotely. I have been tempted to open a port for VPN, to allow realtime access from outside, but it would be hard to convince me that it is 100% bullet-proof, so I've not gone down that path yet.
Nice to have the information that the new models are essentially the same firmware, thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman,
Roger that. I don't allow any incoming connections and push images out to an ftp site where I can safely store and view them remotely. I have been tempted to open a port for VPN, to allow realtime access from outside, but it would be hard to convince me that it is 100% bullet-proof, so I've not gone down that path yet.
Nice to have the information that the new models are essentially the same firmware, thanks!
vpn is the most secure you will get...if you are really paranoid, setup vpn on a vlan so the connection is limited to the camera system...

Billl

n3wb
Reaction score
Go to this link, then drive down to the device you want.
THANK YOU!
For the record, after following the link that pcunite graciously provided, if I were to then select "Open Link in New Tab", it would drop me into the us.dahuasecurity.com site. But, as long as I just click on the links, I stay on the www.dahuasecurity.com site. And the beloved devices are all there :)

BTW, these are under the "Eco-savvy 3.0 Series" section
IPC-HDW5231R-Z
IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
and in the "Eco-savvy 3.0 ePoE Series" section, you will find
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

Now I finally have a guess at what the final "E" stands for :blankstare:

MR F

n3wb
Reaction score
THANK YOU!
For the record, after following the link that pcunite graciously provided, if I were to then select "Open Link in New Tab", it would drop me into the us.dahuasecurity.com site. But, as long as I just click on the links, I stay on the www.dahuasecurity.com site. And the beloved devices are all there :)

BTW, these are under the "Eco-savvy 3.0 Series" section
IPC-HDW5231R-Z
IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
and in the "Eco-savvy 3.0 ePoE Series" section, you will find
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

Now I finally have a guess at what the final "E" stands for :blankstare:
I believe it is for extended POE.
POE that can go up to 800m, but requires special injectors or switches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Billl

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe it is for extended POE.
POE that can go up to 800m, but requires special injectors or switches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks!
In the Cisco universe they're calling it Enhanced PoE, which sounds like something that would end up in my spam folder :rofl:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can choose the version of dahua's website that you want
upload_2018-2-2_23-28-41.png

I still have lots of complaints about their 'new' site.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now it gives me this when I visit using chrome:
upload_2018-2-2_23-36-16.png

At this rate we'll be begging them for an FTP site where we can download the catalog soon as it will probably be the only shred of the miserable website that functions.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly, the US version of their website does list some of the fixed focus 2mp starlight turrets as end of life (with US model numbers).

More discussion of the newly broken website here:
dahua website changed?