RJ45 connectors - are they all the same?

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Those of you with more experience then me, I have a question.

Are all RJ45 connectors the same or are there small differences with different brands/sellers?

Where do you buy a good reliable connector for terminating your cables?

Virga

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use Klein pass-thru RJ45 connectors, and the Klein tool, for the same.

Their website has a how-to-use video, and I found it very helpful and watched it multiple times.

Prior to using the tool, I never had much luck with RJ45 connectors.
Different outcome now.

BTW, I got into RJ45 connectors while installing IP cams.
I have done fair bit of ethernet wiring in my house, and my work-around used to be I’d just use punch down ports and pre-made patch cables.
Better to be able to make reliable RJ45 terminations.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Other than the option for pass-thru type or non pass-thru, there's also this to watch out for:
  • There's different point types for stranded conductors ONLY or two types for solid and stranded conductor. See image at end.
  • If you're using 23AWG (larger than standard 24AWG) insure the RJ-45's will accept it.

RJ45_crimp-contacts_solid-stranded.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven’t had a problem terminating my cat 6 wire.
I may be having a problem with the current rg45 connector I’m using and it’s compatibility with a female rg45 on a 180 camera from empiretech. Not sure what my problem actually is, just considering all options.

I do use pass thru, made for cat 6 on cat 6 solid copper wire With the proper crimp tool.

55BFC09A-EBDD-40E0-9A15-EB415090379B.jpeg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Besides the pass-through and conventional dead-end connectors, there's an in-between option that IMO is just as easy to attach as the pass-throughs, doesn't leave the wire ends exposed, and costs a whole lot less than the pass-throughs.

Monoprice Cat6 RJ45 Modular Plugs w/Inserts for Round Solid/Stranded Cable, 50u, Clear, 100-Pk

(Anybody know what the "50u" means?)
Those are the EXACT ones I bought several years ago for CAT-6 and highly recommend them. IMO, the "sled" in the 2 piece design facilitates the instances where the conductors may be staggered in order to comply with CAT-6. The method I describe below facilitates inserting the conductors into the sled.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More info at the following thread. No need for me to have multiple threads going about an issue I have.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
i have put many ends on and it frustrates me when they look good but one pin didnt go right... so i agree on all the pass-through style comments.. they are the best and guarantees a great connection.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Besides the pass-through and conventional dead-end connectors, there's an in-between option that IMO is just as easy to attach as the pass-throughs, doesn't leave the wire ends exposed, and costs a whole lot less than the pass-throughs.

Monoprice Cat6 RJ45 Modular Plugs w/Inserts for Round Solid/Stranded Cable, 50u, Clear, 100-Pk

(Anybody know what the "50u" means?)
The plastic piece is called a (Load Bar). We only use these in our installations as noted it makes the insertion and correct wiring fool proof. :thumb:

As others mentioned pass through connectors are great but are not to be used in exterior installations. As this is another entry point for moisture to get in and speed up oxidation and corrosion.

Dead end connectors with a load bar is the way to go. Applying dielectric grease to the inside of the connector will insure oxidation will not be a problem when the crimp is applied.

Apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to the outside of the final completed RJ45 pins.

The biggest problem I see as it relates to the RJ45 connectors is not using the correct size for the (AWG) gauge of wire in use. Almost every cheap Amazon junk and retailer sells connectors that are intended for CAT5e (28~24 AWG) and NOT for 23 AWG.

Regardless of the wire gauge you need to take into account the outer insulator. If the wire doesn’t insert correctly without smashing it in the hole it’s too small!

That’s what she said . . . :rofl:

When you start crimping CAT-8 Ethernet cable assuming it’s real and follows industry standards the cable will be 22 AWG.

Yet another reason to have, use, the correct (shielded) RJ45 connector like CAT-7.

Lastly, as far as I am aware there are only two companies that make a shielded CAT-6 RJ45 connector with a dedicated drain wire crimp. One is Platinum Tools and the other I don’t recall off hand.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I've installed many Klein pass through connectors outdoors, never had a problem. I always use a dab of Dielectric grease in the proper spots at time of install.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely not the same! (at least for NON-pass thru). So I just recently upgraded from some cheap o crimps and rj45 plugs from Amazon I've been using for years. My last job I was having to re-crimp a bunch of my cat5e runs and wasting time. So in a pinch, I went to a nearby Home Depot and purchased my first new set of Klein tools crimper/plug kit. I just cant believe how much smoother crimping is now. I will never go back to cheap garbage.

OLD
Screenshot 2024-06-10 163709.pngScreenshot 2024-06-10 163415.png
(These crimps only last about a year, so I would buy new ones every year or so.)

NEW

Screenshot 2024-06-10 164216.png

I ordered larger quantity of the Klein tools cat5e rj45's from Amazon for a better deal.
Screenshot 2024-06-10 164523.png

I Can't seem to find the 1 piece modular cat6 rj45's from Klein tools??(only pass thru's) :( So I had to buy the Ideal cat6 rj45s instead. (bit of a pain to get these on) but still reliable.
Screenshot 2024-06-10 165427.png

FYI None of this stuff is for Pass thru rj45 connectors .

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I did order 100 modular connectors from monoprice -- hopefully that solves a problem for me...

Can I use the same pass thru crimp tool or do I need something different -- I've had no issues using the crimper

You can use the same tool for standard RJ45 connectors. The opposite is not true when using a pass through connector.

In the worst case scenario you would simply cut off the wires with precision snips. It’s not ideal as it typically leaves an over hang which can impact the RJ45 from seating all the way in the port.

Lastly, best practice regardless of the tool in use is to cycle crimp the handle 3 times.

It’s extremely rare to see a failed crimp after three consecutive presses of the handle!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MTL4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone else using shielded connectors? I've always used them but maybe just a placebo effect. I also prefer the non-pass through connectors but again maybe it's because I've been using them forever and I'm really good at making cables that way. Never had one miss a pin but I've definitely had to redo the termination because I got the order wrong. I also haven't had any issue using cat5e connectors to terminate Cat6 wire (23 awg) but I've just been lucky.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use the same tool for standard RJ45 connectors. The opposite is not true when using a pass through connector.

In the worst case scenario you would simply cut off the wires with precision snips. It’s not ideal as it typically leaves an over hang which can impact the RJ45 from seating all the way in the port.
You can also pull things back half-a-hair* to avoid the stubs* and not ending up flush.

------------
* Precision wiring terms.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also pull things back half-a-hair* to avoid the stubs* and not ending up flush.

------------
* Precision wiring terms.
Guess it’s better than getting my short hairs pulled! :lmao: