Roof party

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Another video from our favorite plaza. These guys went on a stroll up on the roof for a few minutes. They didn't damage anything or try to break into anything, but we still had the police meet up with them so that we know who they were. We called this in as suspicious activity, which is why the cops took a little longer than usual, about 13 minutes. We are trying to catch up on some videos from the last two months so there might be a couple more today.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes there are ways to trick an elevator into taking you to the roof
smiley-sneaky.gif

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
lotta people get HD CVI for new installs because people are cheap, and analog is cheap.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess that the property featured in the OP's post retrofitted older analog cams and had existing coax in place? I think a lot of folks go HDCVI like I did at home because A) it's a bit less complex for those of us who aren't network engineers and like the simplicity, B) Utilizing existing infrastructure can be a factor vs running new cable. (although I already had Cat5 run to my original plain analog system from 2012)

Sure HDCVI is a bit cheaper, but really that wasn't the deciding factor for me, and the cost isn't that much less. The CVI Starlights I have are $140 from China, and the other top end cams are in the $100-$125 ea range

I manage a number of IP cams that record to a cloud based offering for the HOA so I understand the very basics of IP, but honestly for my requirements, they dont do anything the CVI cams can't do. Quality is on par, especially at the Starlight level including PTZ and even the new panoramic 2MP multi-sensor. 4MP is widely available also, with 4K cams just now being released as well, though so far I'm happy with the 2MP Starlights.

There are certainly a few advantages to IP and a few limitations to CVI, and I am in the process of adding some IP cams to my mixed Hybrid DVR environment, but at the end of the day I really don't care about the technology that gets me the video, as long as quality and usability is comparable.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Does your company prefer CVI over IP cams for new installs?
To us, the technology doesn't really matter. HD-CVI cameras are dumb cameras which means they get plugged in and they work. If the customer has a tight budget, such as this customer, CVI can be a bit cheaper. Sometimes an IP system can be the same price because you save a bunch with the installation by running one long run and installing a switch for multiple cameras. Most of our customers are looking for our service and not a high tech camera system. Most of our customers don't even look at the cameras or use them, so the technology is really up to us.

In this case, it was new install and the installer that we were working with preferred to use CVI. This system has been problem free from the day that it was installed. Some IP systems that we have installed have been nothing but problems. This happens most when the property is nice and far away for some reason.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
To us, the technology doesn't really matter. HD-CVI cameras are dumb cameras which means they get plugged in and they work. If the customer has a tight budget, such as this customer, CVI can be a bit cheaper. Sometimes an IP system can be the same price because you save a bunch with the installation by running one long run and installing a switch for multiple cameras. Most of our customers are looking for our service and not a high tech camera system. Most of our customers don't even look at the cameras or use them, so the technology is really up to us.

In this case, it was new install and the installer that we were working with preferred to use CVI. This system has been problem free from the day that it was installed. Some IP systems that we have installed have been nothing but problems. This happens most when the property is nice and far away for some reason.
it's like old cars, the simpler it is, the less problems you will have.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It's my understanding that you need at least the good coax in line to begin with to really consider Hd-cvi, correct. Cheap spaghetti cable don't cut it, if you're considering a retrofit?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's my understanding that you need at least the good coax in line to begin with to really consider Hd-cvi, correct. Cheap spaghetti cable don't cut it, if you're considering a retrofit?
Yeah, you need the better cable not the pre maid cable that comes with the costco systems. We have also run them on cat6e with the CVI baluns on each end. The runs were about 1600 ft.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hah, same garbage bin area that the bad coke deal went down in. Love the edit from camera to camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua has finally released a full range (15 new models) of Starlight (.005 lux) 2MP CVI cams, along with more 4MP CVI's
HDCVI Camera

These are in addition to the Ultra CVI Starlights I have, the HAC-HFW3231E-Z's

Now if I could just find a retailer to buy them from, like to try the Turret. I suspect CCTV-Mall will have them soon...

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, you need the better cable not the pre maid cable that comes with the costco systems. We have also run them on cat6e with the CVI baluns on each end. The runs were about 1600 ft.
I've been led to believe that baluns couldn't be used for HDCVI installations so I have stuck to coax. Good to know. I like and use HDCVI for installations where the staff tasked with monitoring security cameras aren't familiar with computer systems.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been led to believe that baluns couldn't be used for HDCVI installations so I have stuck to coax. Good to know. I like and use HDCVI for installations where the staff tasked with monitoring security cameras aren't familiar with computer systems.
You install cameras and didn't know that and didn't try to experiment to verify?

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You install cameras and didn't know that and didn't try to experiment to verify?
Fair point but....I've not really had a need to experiment as I'm happy to install powerax. I installed the very first HDCVI cameras that arrived on the market and the word at the time was that in using baluns quality would be reduced (It is but not by much) as well as transmission range especially at 1080P (Not worth installing 600M of network cable to find out it's limited). I require range above all else to view remote areas for criminal activity and uptime is a primary consideration. 95% of my installs are long range wireless IP.
Dahua Video balun spec:
HDCVI
720P: max.400m(1312.34ft)
1080P: max.250m(820.21ft)
4MP: max.200m(656.17ft)

Last edited: