Router/Modem IP Addresses?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a "Fing" app on my phone and it's real handy for viewing all my devices and their respective IP addresses on my various different LANs. However, what I'm not sure about is if there is a separate and unique IP address other than the default Gateway address for the Modem when it is built into the Router/Modem as a single combination unit? I'm pretty sure if the Modem were separate it would have a unique IP address?

My App reports an active "Generic" device with an IP address, and I just can not otherwise find a separate device in my network. It picks up my cloud, all my laptops, server, phones, tablets, printer, and my router-modem combination unit. It also correctly Identifies all my wife's equipment. I have run around turning things on and off to see if I can identify the Generic device but to no avail.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Try a web browser access to the IP address - and also a telnet access to the IP address.
Either may provide a clue, prior to getting into the heavier stuff such as nmap to see what services are listening.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try a web browser access to the IP address - and also a telnet access to the IP address.
Either may provide a clue, prior to getting into the heavier stuff such as nmap to see what services are listening.
Tried both. telnet will not open anything on my net. What is nmap? .254 is the mistry device.

Capture-telnet.PNG

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a "Fing" app on my phone and it's real handy for viewing all my devices and their respective IP addresses on my various different LANs. However, what I'm not sure about is if there is a separate and unique IP address other than the default Gateway address for the Modem when it is built into the Router/Modem as a single combination unit? I'm pretty sure if the Modem were separate it would have a unique IP address?

My App reports an active "Generic" device with an IP address, and I just can not otherwise find a separate device in my network. It picks up my cloud, all my laptops, server, phones, tablets, printer, and my router-modem combination unit. It also correctly Identifies all my wife's equipment. I have run around turning things on and off to see if I can identify the Generic device but to no avail.
Gateway devices that combine modem and router generally only have 1 LAN IP address. If there were a separate IP / information screen for the modem it would most likely be the standard 192.168.100.1 cable modem status page, but that's very unlikely imho.

Try running arp -a on your computer.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
.254 is used by some brands of router. What is your router address?

It's a network scanning tool - it can find out lots of info about unknown devices if you can figure out how to tell it what to do.
Gateway devices that combine modem and router generally only have 1 LAN IP address. If there were a separate IP / information screen for the modem it would most likely be the standard 192.168.100.1 cable modem status page, but that's very unlikely imho.

Try running arp -a on your computer.
I access My router/modem combination device with the gateway 10.0.0.1 address. {this is identified by fing as my router}. This unit is a lease from Comcast and i don't think they want me to un-brick it to start over. Not sure i even could.

If the .1 address is for the modem, perhaps the .254 is the router? However the only way i can access the router functions is with the .1 address.

Also fing does not return a mac address, or any other info for the .254 device.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I access My router/modem combination device with the gateway 10.0.0.1 address. {this is identified by fing as my router}. This unit is a lease from Comcast and i don't think they want me to un-brick it to start over. Not sure i even could.

If the .1 address is for the modem, perhaps the .254 is the router? However the only way i can access the router functions is with the .1 address.

Also fing does not return a mac address, or any other info for the .254 device.
sounds like comcast business not resi, might help to share the model of the equiptment? What you mean "un-brick"?

Sorry, but I guess I'm not quite sure what the problem you have is or what exactly you're trying to solve. Are you just trying to identify what the app was showing on your network? Open a command prompt and type arp -a or arp -av and see if there's an entry with the IP you're wondering about.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
might help to share the model of the equiptment?
Sorry, but I guess I'm not quite sure what the problem you have is or what exactly you're trying to solve. Are you just trying to identify what the app was showing on your network?
I'm trying to identify a device (10.0.0.254) that is reported on my "fing" phone app. Having a router that is bricked is not really an issue. Fing does an excellent job of scanning a network and reporting device property details, but in the case of this particular device it does not capture any properties other than the IP address. Thus I have called it my misery
device.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The MAC address it's showing is odd to me, the 01:02:03 part. I'm certainly inclined to think it's something they're using for one of their telephony, stb, or security products. You could port scan it, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.