RTSP not showing a clear image

Greshop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a HikVision setup with IPC's and a NVR DS-7732NI-I4-16P now I can't seem to get the RTSP feeds working so that I can see anything in the likes of VLC. I can connect to the cameras via the NVR and I can see movement in a strange fashion on the sub channel but nothing on the main channel.

Here is an Image of what I can see after there has been plenty of movement over several hours:
264 codec.PNG

I have setup a Media user and enabled ONVIF. I'm running 3.4.96 on the NVR. I have setup virtual host and also mapped the IPC's default gateway back to the NVR so they are network accessible and set a static route in my router to them incase that would make a difference and also setup a Media user with the same username and password as on the NVR on all the cameras along with enabling ONVIF on them. Most of the IPC's are on the G1 platform and got the latest firmware on them. When I try to connect to the cameras directly via VLC I get nothing except a login prompt that keeps on not seemingly accepting my credentials of neither the admin nor the media user.

Here are the settings for that substream displayed above:
substream settings.PNG

I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas on where I'm going wrong? I thought of updating the firmware on the NVR but hesitant to move move to V4 due to all the negative feedback about it at the moment.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What does your primary stream look like?
What does the video look like in IE ?
Change the I frame to match the frame rate.
Set frame rate to 15 or less.
Increase bitrate.
I have smooth set to zero on all my cameras.
How is the camera connected to the network ?
I recommend a test connection, connect camera to a PC via a POE switch, with a new short cable.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a HikVision setup with IPC's and a NVR DS-7732NI-I4-16P now I can't seem to get the RTSP feeds working so that I can see anything in the likes of VLC.
For the connection from VLC to the NVR IP address, check the VLC codec stats to see if there are any lost frames.
I'm wondering if you have a severe networking problem where the PC and NVR are struggling to communicate.

TJ01

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve had this problem since a previous update which give the basic and digest options. I get this and a grey screen. I have no idea how to get the rtsp feed working it’s been a long time now. I use to have my feeds show up through app on tv but nothing works now.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What codec is configured for the main stream of the cameras?

Suggestion to try:
Going direct to the cameras will eliminate a few variables.

Set the PC IP address to one in the same range as the NVR POE ports, such as 192.168.254.100 if they are still at their default range.
Connect the PC into an unused NVR POE port.
Use ONVIF Device Manager to find all the cameras, having given it some login credentials.
Select a camera and check the Live Video page, see how it looks.
Note down the RTSP URL at the bottom of the Live Video page, and use it in VLC to 'Open a network stream', and see how it looks.
Check the codec statistics in VLC and see if there are any lost frames.
Repeat for all cameras to see what's different between them.

hank rizzo

n3wb
Reaction score
You are experiencing an encryption issue, Try disabling the encryption on the NVR in network page.

also experiment by logging into the camera.upload_2018-7-28_9-59-47.png

Last edited:

Alex_N

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
RTSP authentication should be left enabled (set to Basic) so that anyone who wants to access the rtsp stream would have to provide a username and password.
To connect to the camera directly using VLC when RTSP authentication is enabled you just have to enter the url in VLC open network stream like this.
For the main HD channel (don't forget to change the IP to the one your camera is using):
Code:
rtsp://user:password@192.168.1.100:554/Streaming/Channels/1
For the sub-stream low resolution channel:
Code:
rtsp://user:password@192.168.1.100:554/Streaming/Channels/2
Or you can enter the username and password in the login prompt that VLC pops up. If you are not using the admin user make sure that the user you are using has the Remote: Live View permission enabled.
Remote live view.png

How long is the network cable you are using to connect the camera to the NVR? The image in your VLC screenshot looks like it has video artifacts. They could be caused by a bad (copper clad aluminum) or too long cable or an rj45 connector that's not properly crimped. Although I don't recommend this in the long run because it results in a delay you could try to increase the caching value in VLC to 5000 ms (5 seconds) just to see if the image gets better.
VLC Caching.png

You should also check for packet loss by pinging the camera. Open cmd and type:
ping -t CAMERAIP
If you see the message 'Request timed out.' you have a network problem.

Last edited:

hank rizzo

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is how I found my RTSP to work for me, Of course use your password and NVR ip address. I also had to disable the Encryption on my NVR. VLC did not decode stream for me.

rtsp://admin@password@192.168.1.100:8554/Streaming/Channels/101
rtsp://admin@password@192.168.1.100:8554/Streaming/Channels/102

at the end of string is /101 for camera 1, stream 1 "main stream". if you use /102 that would be camera 1 substream or /1202 would be camera 12 substream

I scrapped the VLC project and moved on to a PI Zero W. It gives me a PVM to my tvs.

Attachments

Last edited: