Running Ethernet Cables Outside

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I went out to HD and Lowes to day to pick up 1/2" EMT. A 3/4" EMT just wasn't working out for me. I had to go with metal conduit to follow building code. And with all four seasons here, I think it should turn out well.
I have all the parts and accessories to proceed further now, should be all set :)
For anyone looking for EMT conduit, I'd go with the one sold via Lowes --- its tri-coated inside and out. Though the one from HD is also galvanized, it will rust quickly over time.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had to go with metal conduit to follow building code.
The grey colored PVC conduit is against code? It is rated for outdoor usage. Using the PVC was my plan but maybe I should check the local building codes first

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
To be on the safe side, you should ;) Otherwise you'd have to repeat process again. PVC Schedule 40 gives a cleaner look over EMT. :)

The grey colored PVC conduit is against code? It is rated for outdoor usage. Using the PVC was my plan but maybe I should check the local building codes first

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Probird79,

As you pointed out, it depends on local code and the type of building. Of course this is low voltage so there actually may not be codes covering this in your locale.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you pointed out, it depends on local code and the type of building. Of course this is low voltage so there actually may not be codes covering this in your locale.
To be on the safe side, you should ;) Otherwise you'd have to repeat process again. PVC Schedule 40 gives a cleaner look over EMT. :)
Everything I've read online is for electrical lines. From what I gather NEC says to use SCH80 for above ground for that. Since this is low/no power I don't see that it matters. I shouldn't matter since I could get outdoor rated cable and not run it in any type of tubing.