Rural Elevated House on Stilts - Camera System Recs Needed

Matt_FTP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I dont have WIFI at the property (so no online access / mobile phone access of video data is possible) - is the Blue Iris still worth the additional costs?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I dont have WIFI at the property (so no online access / mobile phone access of video data is possible) - is the Blue Iris still worth the additional costs?
No cable/DSL at the house or just no wifi? Either an NVR or BI would need Internet access to send alerts. I've never tried operating either without Internet access, but I'm guessing that would affect both more or less equally. BI would still retain its superior flexibility in terms of recording options, profiles, etc.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
late last year, i picked up a
Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 ST Core i5-6600@3.30GHz 16GB RAM 240GB SSD Win10 Pro
on E*Bay for $240, added a 3TB WD Purple drive for $75. good for a dozen 3-5MP cams no problem.
Sure, you can get an NVR in that price range, but BI blows them all away in terms of features and useability, imo...

no remote access is the same issue whether you run BI or an NVR.

Matt_FTP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys - no cable / dsl internet at all. Rural property!

I'll shift towards running a dedicated machine and Blue Iris - seems costs are about the same but usability is there.

Plus at the end of the day you have a computer that can serve many functions over a single function NVR

Thanks again

Matt_FTP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yup thats what I have been reading.

Now the search begins for a decent PC.

Ebay the best place to find one?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup thats what I have been reading.

Now the search begins for a decent PC.

Ebay the best place to find one?
Yeah eBay is OK. You just have to be patient to find a decent one at a good price. I know I paid a little too much but by that point I was anxious to get up and running. It'll last a long time though.

Matt_FTP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now I'm researching costs a bit, and an NVR is about $300 + Hard Drive

for a Dedicated PC I'm looking at $300-400 for the PC, another $100 plus for a 16 channel POU switch, and then a Hard drive.

Is it really worth that much more for someone who just wants a basic NVR type system?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes. but if you want a 'basic NVR type system', then that's what you want, so get that.

you can always upgrade later... :)

Matt_FTP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont mind spending another $100 or $200, I just want to verify if the juice is worth the squeeze if you get what I mean.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
sure. that's a decent rig for up to dozen or so cams, i'd think.
not the newest or fastest, but the price seems reasonable.
Just add a big WD purple and you're all set...

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also need a 16 channel POE Switch? would something like below work or are there better options?

BV-Tech 16 Port PoE+ Switch + 2 Gigabit 1000Mbps Ethernet Uplink -130W- 802.3at | eBay

Also, If the PC does not have HDMI out ( was hoping to connect to a 40" TV or so) , what monitor setup do you guys typically use?
I have that same switch. So far so good.

There are cheap adapters to/from most PC video standards. I believe I'm using a Displayport->VGA adapter on mine since it goes through a VGA KVM switch.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, that Poe switch would be fine. Plenty of cheaper options if you care to risk a used one, eg:
Netgear FS728TP Prosafe 24+4 PORTS 10/100 Smart PoE Switch | eBay (not my listing)
just check the specs as some may not have all ports powered...

the ebay unit (optiplex 3020) you linked to has a DisplayPort video out, which is electrically compatible with HDMI. just need a DP to hdmi cable or adapter...

Matt_FTP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I just ordered the PC and Switch. 4TB Purple on its way too. I also got my monoprice Cat6 cables / Rj45 connectors / crimping pliers coming, and my cameras on their way from Andy.

I think I got everything

Next step - installation. Should be fun

One more thing - My house is all concrete(roof, stilts, walls, etc) . What is the best way to attach / run network cables along concrete? I do not want to use adhesive based clips.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For running cable outside, its best to run it in conduit for protection from the elements, vandals, and critters. I used 3/4" schedule 40 UV resistant PVC (easy to work with) and painted it to match the house. You can use tapcons and a hammer drill to secure the clamps to concrete.