sc10ip cams

Bradley Parsons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
He learned his alphabet and phonix ready from you tube and now is sounding out words, kids these days I swear!

jonjo

n3wb
Reaction score
you should get it in about 3 days... free postage ..good people to deal with ...jonjo

jonjo

n3wb
Reaction score
ive got a mate who use to be docker in liverpool and told me a brand new rolls royce ..just went missing .....and was never found ????... could only happen in liverpool!
jonjo..........!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, chill out. Don't have a bad day and take it out on someone else. Especially when you mis-read his post about pricing. ""You got ripped off - Big Time"". It's (literally) really not a big deal.
<ironic_comment>....[sounds like i really got ripped off]</ironic_comment>
The reason why you were able to purchase these Network IP Cameras at the price you were. Is because they had/have absolutely no future firmware upgrade support before your time of purchase and at the time of your purchase and not because you got a "Good Deal".
In my experience, this is a pretty normal situation for cameras from your average small technology company, or even big ones for that matter. I've got maybe 5 or 6 brands sitting in the cupboard where the manufacturer had stated directly when asked that the current firmware will be the last. It doesn't make them bad cameras, they were fine for their time, they only got retired when the technology and it's price point moved on.
Which means, many of the currently working free and even paid for programs may soon fail working with them,
Why do you believe this will be the case? What will change?
Fortunately, these days, there are many de-facto standards supported by low-cost IP cameras which means that you're not always stuck with whatever 'free software' was bundled with them, loads of choices in the open-source arena.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Please stop trying to tell me what to do, when you can't "practice what you preach". Which is and has been self-documenting,
If relating some of my own experiences about not being able to obtain firmware updates to add to, or counter, other statements is 'self-documenting' then so be it.
That's part of what forums are all about, sharing experiences.

But that aside, I'm still curious what you were meaning by this:
Which means, many of the currently working free and even paid for programs may soon fail working with them,
For the benefits of others, why do you believe this will be the case? What will change? Has the manufacturer built in some deliberate kill switch?

Bradley Parsons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Worst case you hardwire your cameras like I did and can update firm wares at your discretion. If you must have wireless functionality, the version Don linked is the very last one and there will never be another.

I doubt anyone purchasing these cameras or the tops 201 are looking at them as being in the same class as much higher cost cameras for professional security.

Dons right though if it's a mission critical security you need then these aren't the cameras for you.

If your happy with the latest firmware the product will work until your camera dies most likely, whether device manager cms etc continue to function with it as they are revised is still unknown. Keep a saved copy of device manager and cms that work just in case.

jonjo

n3wb
Reaction score
i only bought my cameras because they were cheap ..i dont care if they break down or melt ..could not care less ..i will just go out and buy some more ..this keeps people employed...if wanted the best i would have bought the best...i can afford it
i only wanted a private network around my home....im not making movies...the cameras i bought.... do the the job i want them to do ...thats all i want...i put my tablet anywere in my home.... and with one tap on the screen... i can clearly see all around the outside of my house .....and thats all i want..... i can get clear face recognition at 10 metres.....so what if they break down ...ive done $100 dollars ..i spend more than that in a week on beer...but what i dont want is people telling me how to spend my money......now fuck off...........................jonjo

Bradley Parsons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dons right in the fact that there are numerous manufacturers that use these boards and built wifi enabled cameras, none of which created custom firmwares. I would imagine over time a lot of people will be coming here after updating firmware and running into this exact same issue, hence why he says do not knowingly buy more. a lot of us purchased them in good faith installed them and later found out about lack of firmware support, and Dons tried his best to get us answers which was very much appreciated.

If the OP is happy on how his cameras are running so be it. Windows 7 and its IE browser will be supported until 2020 and all of these cameras will be land fill by then anyways.

Cheaper cameras are not always a bad thing, they are a portal to get people interested and create new enthusiasts, who just might be the next wave of Don's to help the next wave of n00bs. let's try to make everyone feel at home here and watch the direct personal attacks its classless.

Bradley Parsons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These particular cameras where sold at Kmart and are no longer available but you can find the exact same cameras online and they will have the same limitations as Don explained and should be avoided if you expect firmware updates.

cgchen

n3wb
Reaction score
did any of you managed to get email and ftp working? I spent a couple hours but still not able to get them going.