scrambled green screen

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
something interesting I just noticed when using VLC

The 2 cameras that are attached to my POE switch flicker really fast, but not with a green screen. it's a quick flash. wonder if that's causing it, and if it is, could it be the POE switch? Only thing that would make no sense is the doorbell camera which is powered by the doorbell transformer and not the POE switch

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those quick spurts could certainly be a poe switch issue, but the doorbell is interesting being powered differently.

Did you change a light fixture recently or a on/off switch or change out light bulbs with LED?

I had an issue recently where I changed a bulb to LED and lost the feed of some of my cameras.

Come to find out there was a timer wall switch without a ground and one too many LED bulbs was causing pulsing down the line and would prevent the cams from powering up. Go back to incandescent bulb and all was well. I had like 14 LED bulbs on that breaker and apparently the 15th was what compounded the problem.

As soon as I changed out that timer toggle switch to one with a ground wire, all was well.

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
Those quick spurts could certainly be a poe switch issue, but the doorbell is interesting being powered differently.

Did you change a light fixture recently or a on/off switch or change out light bulbs with LED?

I had an issue recently where I changed a bulb to LED and lost the feed of some of my cameras.

Come to find out there was a timer wall switch without a ground and one too many LED bulbs was causing pulsing down the line and would prevent the cams from powering up. Go back to incandescent bulb and all was well. I had like 14 LED bulbs on that breaker and apparently the 15th was what compounded the problem.

As soon as I changed out that timer toggle switch to one with a ground wire, all was well.
nothing was changed, but a few days ago i had to turn off a few breakers to find a bad outlet on a different breaker. ended up powering down basically everything. maybe that surge did something do these devices.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is certainly a possibility. A device could have been going out and the on/off cycle put it over the edge.

I would take a look at that outlet - maybe the ground wire came loose or is touching something.

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
That is certainly a possibility. A device could have been going out and the on/off cycle put it over the edge.

I would take a look at that outlet - maybe the ground wire came loose or is touching something.
not the switch or the outlet.

I hooked up one of the cameras to a POE adapter and used a different outlet. still getting the same results.

Think i'm just going to re-install BI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I mentioned earlier that maybe a file got wonky in BI so try a rollback. A lot quicker than reinstalling BI. But sometimes a fresh install is what is needed.

Did you run all the Win utilities (DISM) to confirm it wasn't a windows file wonky?

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I mentioned earlier that maybe a file got wonky in BI so try a rollback. A lot quicker than reinstalling BI. But sometimes a fresh install is what is needed.

Did you run all the Win utilities (DISM) to confirm it wasn't a windows file wonky?
I didn't run that, but i figured let me try one more thing which so far is working for the last hour or 2. I changed it from H.264 to H.265 and also dropped it from 30 FPS to 15 FPS, and added in sub streams. Only thing i can't figure out is the key frame settings

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should match the FPS and iframes setting. That would make the key 1.0

Are you running substreams?

30FPS is overkill LOL. Maybe over time you just overtaxed the little CPUs in these cams and they need a break LOL. 15FPS is more than enough.

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
The FPS is all matched to 15 except for my doorbell which doesn't allow me to change it, so that's still at 30

This is what it currently looks like.

Also adding my camera webpage config. It shows I/P rate, but i don't have anything that says Key

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It won't say KEY in the camera GUI, but on your cameras.jpg image you see KEY and those are all below 1.00

Every manufacturer calls it something different - could be iframes or anything really.

For that camera, the I/P would be set to the same as the FPS.

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
that did it. once it set that to the same as the framerate i'm getting 1 for Key

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
another i noticed, when my son is playing games on the machine there are no issues.

Seems like it's something with the cpu thats causing the issue when it's not under load as no matter which video card i pick it does this. also if i enable deepstack the machine will cash and power itself down after 10 minutes of running

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Install a utility called "core temp". You can monitor the CPU to see its' temperature and loading. I suspect it's either overheating or the machine is running out of memory. Have you checked the CPU cooler, both the fan and the thermal paste?

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
Install a utility called "core temp". You can monitor the CPU to see its' temperature and loading. I suspect it's either overheating or the machine is running out of memory. Have you checked the CPU cooler, both the fan and the thermal paste?

temps are completely normal. With nothing running other than BlueIris this is what i get.

as far as ram i have 32gb, and only using 11

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still think it is something related to the electric work you did - either a ground issue somewhere or shutting off the house power and turning back on surged the system, although it seems odd it would work out every camera powered by different sources.

When you cut the power, did you properly shut down the BI computer?

I still think running DISM and a rollback of BI is something to try.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have had this issue for over a year. In my case, BI does not like H265. If I run h264, I don't have the issue.
But I see you've already tried that.
I can view an offending camera in Tinycam Pro and see the same issue with the green screen affect. It goes away with H264.
I would contact BI support, and see what they think.
I reported this to them sometime back, but they basically blew me off.

Note: that there have been odd issue's reported with WIN11 and BI combo's.

rbf351

n3wb
Reaction score
re-installed BI completely.

I used my backup settings which were from my old virtual machine, and still get the green screen issue,

If i import the settings into my virtual machine i don't get a green screen at all

both machines run windows 11 64bit. Only difference is the CPU and video card

Last edited: