Searching PTZ for 24/7/365 PTZ

Reaction score
Hey Ho!

I am looking for an outdoor PTZ dome camera from HIKVISION (HV). It's about a web attraction for a hotel as a webcam with a camera ride (guard tour). I have only worked with AXIS, SONY or Hanwah aka Samsung. I still lack the feeling for the HV cameras. I would be very grateful for help. RTSP streaming is done with Datarhei/Restreamer - it works great and is free!

The hardware requirements are:
  1. 24/7 tuard tour with fix preset points must be able to run around the area with about 10-15 points of interest without damaging the camera.
  2. The guard tour may not be interrupted by timeblock, have seen/read that this is not always the case with the cameras of HV.
  3. IP 67

Thank you guys.

Cheerio
Beta

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Your requirements should be pretty standard for HikVision PTZs. When we are looking for the perfect PTZ for an installation, we look at a few things. First, is there light around the clock or will the camera need to provide it's own (IR). Second, how big of a lens will we need or how far will the camera need to zoom in. In most cases a 27x or 30x will cover a pretty big area. Third, resolution and bandwidth. If you are live streaming this camera through a service, you might not have to worry about bandwidth to much, so you could stream a 2MP camera or above. Forth, how it get mounted, whether it be wall mounted or pendant mounted. I believe there are even 360 ptzs now that you can mount upside down and not have the interference of the mounting pole. Last, but not least, would be auto tracking. This feature can send the price of the camera up more than double. If you plan to use it, it's worth it.

Reaction score
Hello bababouy

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I see from the answer that you have not understood the requirements. Or I said it wrong. I'm not a native speaker. I'm sorry.

In a webcam project for marketing as an online tool, for example, you do not need an IR. This only disturbs the audience because it looks too much like surveillance.

And it's not true that every PTZ camera is made for permanent moving. Many cameras are locked against such things or they break very quickly if they are not locked. If these protective mechanisms are circumvented, the guarantee expires - and rightly so!

At AXIS I used the Q60 series earlier. They went through years without mechanical problems. Speed dome cameras.

I don't know HIKVIsion that well. The variety of models is quite large. So my question is.

I've just read myself a little bit. This series: DS-2DF6A425X-AEL - Hikvision Europe

is probably suitable for continuous pan tilt zoom without a break 24/365.

Thank you and have a nice weekend

salute
beta

Reaction score
Just found out the the cam from above don't do 24/7 PTZ :(

Checked some of that series at my distributor they say: "Nicht zutreffend" wich means in German "Not not applicable"

Had this models in compare:
DS-2DF6A225X-AEL
DS-2DF6A236X-AEL
DS-2DF6A425X-AEL
DS-2DF6A436X-AEL
DS-2DF6A836X-AEL

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have never heard of not being able to move a PTZ 24/7, and we use quite a few PTZs, including HikVision and Dahua PTZs. We have several set up on tours where they move from preset to preset, 24 hours a day, unless we break the tour manually to use the camera to view something. I'm not saying that this is not true, just saying that I have never come across this issue. Is there a time limit on the model that you have screen shot above? Does it say that the camera can only be moved 12 hours a day?

Reaction score
The YouTube video is very meaningless. Would be cool if you're right that would make things very easy for me - I would wish it very much - but I'm afraid not.

Please test a delay of 0 sec on the preset points and make sure that the camera has a camera movement of 5-15 minutes and you will see that you will not be able to pan continuously to zoom. The camera will not allow this..... and take a forced break :(

As I wrote above, I do not supervise any security projects. I've been doing this with webattraction thing for 10 years with over 200 projects in Europe and I certainly didn't imagine it..... AXIS and SONY have always warned us not to damage the mechanics and directed us to the cameras, which are made for continuous movement.

You never stop learning :)

Cheerio
Sven

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello bababouy

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I see from the answer that you have not understood the requirements. Or I said it wrong. I'm not a native speaker. I'm sorry.

In a webcam project for marketing as an online tool, for example, you do not need an IR. This only disturbs the audience because it looks too much like surveillance.

And it's not true that every PTZ camera is made for permanent moving. Many cameras are locked against such things or they break very quickly if they are not locked. If these protective mechanisms are circumvented, the guarantee expires - and rightly so!

At AXIS I used the Q60 series earlier. They went through years without mechanical problems. Speed dome cameras.

I don't know HIKVIsion that well. The variety of models is quite large. So my question is.

I've just read myself a little bit. This series: DS-2DF6A425X-AEL - Hikvision Europe

is probably suitable for continuous pan tilt zoom without a break 24/365.

Thank you and have a nice weekend

salute
beta
That HIK camera seems to have a very unique and original design. :rolleyes:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
20180624_080830.jpg
Not sure how this pic is going to come out, but here are several Hik ptzs from their spring catalog. The specs show an IP67 rating and nothing about 24 hour operation. We have several hundred ptzs in operation, from cheap to expensive, and I have never seen a motor burn up. I've seen a belt pop on some older analog Dahua ptzs after 5 years or so, but thats it. These Hikvision ptzs come with a five year warranty anyways.

Reaction score
@bababouy

I meant no harm. Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for your help. (electronic handshake)

The test camera from HIKVision it was a DS-2DE4A220IW-DE.
Even HIKVision Support wrote me. Of course, I first contacted the manufacturer when I noticed this:

"Hello, Mr. Beta,
the configuration will not work with Hikvision cameras because the minimum dwell time at set preset points is 15 seconds".

I can't set a stand time of 0 seconds. I'm given 15 seconds. :(
That's to protect the mechanics, I was told.

If you could test this with your HIKVision I would be very grateful. I need 0 seconds.

Thanks for your kind help.

salute
Sven