Security Cam Recommendation

swappedsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to see if there is an equivalent to an outdoor Nest cam, but with local storage. I am trying to weigh my options and right now the NEST outdoor cams seem like a great option. Their mobile app is pretty much second to none and worth the 80 dollars a year alone. So the cam must be WIFI, and externally powered as I have wall outlets outside. I would love to do POE, however I have a split level with a sub basement and it would be an absolute nightmare to drop cat6. Cams should be 180 degree, 4k or even 1080p that have good sensors. Should also have night vision and can work with a built machine with blue iris or even a standalone NVR. Looking for something that will also have a good UI experience, especially for mobile and can alert when motion is detected. It would be nice to have some of the additional options, like geofencing, facial recognition, etc, but not required. As far as what I want to spend, probably under 700, just need two cams. Looking to add an indoor cam as well if budget allows.

Let me know what you would do.

Thanks in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to see if there is an equivalent to an outdoor Nest cam, but with local storage. I am trying to weigh my options and right now the NEST outdoor cams seem like a great option. Their mobile app is pretty much second to none and worth the 80 dollars a year alone. So the cam must be WIFI, and externally powered as I have wall outlets outside. I would love to do POE, however I have a split level with a sub basement and it would be an absolute nightmare to drop cat6. Cams should be 180 degree, 4k or even 1080p that have good sensors. Should also have night vision and can work with a built machine with blue iris or even a standalone NVR. Looking for something that will also have a good UI experience, especially for mobile and can alert when motion is detected. It would be nice to have some of the additional options, like geofencing, facial recognition, etc, but not required. As far as what I want to spend, probably under 700, just need two cams. Looking to add an indoor cam as well if budget allows.

Let me know what you would do.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome Swappedsr,

The Nest actually is rather costly and as a cloud dependent solution unreliable and image quality compromised to save bandwidth and cloud storage, and as a "leased" product rather pricey over the life time of the product.

For reliability and quality of images the best option is to go with a wired solution - those of us here naturally prefer IP PoE solutions.

If you own the home - it is completely worth the investment in money and time to do it.

Definitely check out the cliff notes which giomania has created for us. He has gathered the vast amount of information that has been shared here and it is worth starting with that.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

For low light look at the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight models.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Avoid: Nest, Arlo, Ring, Blink, etc and Wifi.

If you've never pulled ethernet cable, maybe take the time to educate yourself on how to do so properly.
It's not nearly as daunting, as it would first appear.
There is almost always a way to get wire where you need it, safely and hidden.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would love to do POE, however I have a split level with a sub basement and it would be an absolute nightmare to drop cat6.
Running wires is probably easier than you think, especially if you hire someone to do it.

Some of the terms to describe multilevel dwellings can be a bit ambiguous. How many different levels do you have? When was it built? Pictures?

Last edited: