security clarification

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
I have't compared all the menus but looks like FLIR Cloud app is tailored to their offerings. For example, in Device Manager, FLIR Cloud app only has two options, device ID or IP address. Dahua app offers more options like wifi device, wired device, cloud device, online search device. Then, under Wired Device, it offers p2p, ip, ddns as options.

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
ok. spent more time doing this as it was troubling me. Finally got it working.
Make sure that your VPN connection is working and you are on the home local network. From a web browser on your iPhone or iPad, you can type in the address of the router or the NVR and see if you are able to connect them. I assume you are already beyond this step but wanted to stress anyways.

I gave up on Lorex/Flir Secure app and downloaded FLIR Cloud Client for iPhone. It is much more sophisticated app.
Go to Device Manager.
Click + to Add a Device.
Select DVR/NVR/IP Camera.
Click on Register Mode and select IP address instead of Device ID.
Fill in the IP address, port #35000 (if you haven't changed), password and hit connect! It should work.

Feel free to post your questions.
I have two really noob questions.
1.When adding a device it asks for "name". Is that the the ID number that is the same as when you scan the qr code ?
2. The password is the nvr password you put in the nvr to get to the various menus and functions ?

I keep getting failed to connect. I tried these settings a few days ago with the igdmss app and got the same error message . So I am sure that I'm missing something simple.

Thanks for the info and your patience.

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
1.When adding a device it asks for "name". Is that the the ID number that is the same as when you scan the qr code ?
2. The password is the nvr password you put in the nvr to get to the various menus and functions ?

I keep getting failed to connect. I tried these settings a few days ago with the igdmss app and got the same error message . So I am sure that I'm missing something simple.

I got the FLIR app working but I had to open the nvr to the internet. Maybe there is a setting that isn't correct in my VPN? I will play around with that as time permits.

Thanks again for the information.

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score

You can use any name in that field. I call it "Home".
Yes, same password as the one that you use at home to log in.

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
I got the FLIR app working but I had to open the nvr to the internet. Maybe there is a setting that isn't correct in my VPN? I will play around with that as time permits.

Thanks again for the information.
Did you get to the point in the app where you add device by IP address? If not, we are most likely talking past each other. I have NVR locked down with no internet connectivity and finally got it to work via VPN.

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
So far the remote access via VPN is working well when I am on wifi (work, coffee shop etc.).
I noticed that it does not work when I am on cell network (T-Mobile) and trying to figure out what's going on. will keep updated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So far the remote access via VPN is working well when I am on wifi (work, coffee shop etc.).
I noticed that it does not work when I am on cell network (T-Mobile) and trying to figure out what's going on. will keep updated.
FYI - iirc heard of others complaining about access via T-mobile also - although I do not recall seeing many answers.

lukmm

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI - iirc heard of others complaining about access via T-mobile also - although I do not recall seeing many answers.
Correct, I saw some complaints. In my case, app works fine if I allow NVR connectivity to the internet. VPN is the additional variable.

1) NVR not blocked on router + Tmobile = works
2) NVR blocked on router + VPN + Wifi = works
3) NVR blocked on router + VPN + Tmobile = Not working.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct, I saw some complaints. In my case, app works fine if I allow NVR connectivity to the internet. VPN is the additional variable.

1) NVR not blocked on router + Tmobile = works
2) NVR blocked on router + VPN + Wifi = works
3) NVR blocked on router + VPN + Tmobile = Not working.
Here's a thread you can refer to: iDMSS Failure to connect over cell service only
Are you using an iOS device? I don't have any problems with Android, only iOS.

Xntxny

n3wb
Reaction score
I followed the thread and I was able to create my vpn, create network firewall rules to block the nvr IP from outgoing/incoming traffic on all ports for UDP/TCP, and I was able to access the live feed via the gDMSS app on wifi, wifi + VPN, and cell service (at&t + Android) + VPN. Thanks guys!

Also, should I block the individual IP for each camera connected through the NVR? The individual cameras aren't showing up in my network map on my router, however I can get the IPs from the NVR config.