Security for my pc

Rocko

n3wb
Reaction score
hi all, iv purchased my dedicated pc for blue iris and I am just at the stage of starting to set everything up. Couple question’s I would like to ask, does the pc need any type of internet protection or prevention software to help stop people hacking in to the cams Or crashing my pc?

Or do we turn her on download blue iris and leave it at that lol?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Rocko,

PCs and other internet connected devices always need some sort of security.

I do not recall what sort of AV protection is included in Windows 10 by default, so that maybe something I would be looking closer at.

Also remember to disable UPnP on your router.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hacking the cams and hacking BI are two separate but related topics.

Hacking into cams seems to happen quite frequently and based on the sheer volume of attacks it should be extremely important to not allow incoming connections from the internet to the cameras.

Hacking into BI could be broken down into two subsets 1) hacking into the Windows OS and 2) hacking into the BI software server. For the former, my confidence in Windows security is somewhat high. Maybe I am being naive but I think an updated Windows install should be safe. For the latter, unfortunately I have no idea what web server technology they are using nor how hardened it might be from attacks. BI uses proprietary software and not open source servers so we really can't tell. Opening the Windows/BI machine to the internet should be taken with some caution but seems to be much safer than exposing the cameras themselves. Preferred way to access BI from the internet would be through a VPN and a hardened VPN package.

As far as virus or other protections, I personally don't think many are worth it.