Seeking some guidance choosing first home camera setup

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think that this is another of the problems that I am having, as I said, my scene is very close to the camera and we add that the detection has to be done in the Z AXIS, with the objectives to be detected approaching and receding in the same camera axis.
1662106610577.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here you can see the difference, in my IPC-HDW5241H-AS-PV camera there are no Warning Light and Audio linkage options. Therefore, the Active Deterrence system cannot be used by activating only SMD, it must be done with IVS rules.

Does anyone know if Dahua would listen to this request? There is no point in not activating something as there is no hardware limitation to not being able to do it.

1662293722598.png1662293805766.png

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I still have ebay search result alerts coming in via email for some Dell Optiplex model, after hearing a suggestion for a BI machine. Haha.

I'm just starting to read one of the threads I was told to check out.
In the meantime, can someone maybe offer a few places that carry some of the commonly recommended here, that are either canadian retailers or that ship to canada. I'm not a fan of ebay, but I'll use it if I have to. And does this EmpireTec have an online store. I'd like to get at least some idea of what these cameras cost.

While It's on my mind, is/was anyone else concerned about windows itself being being malware? I'm only half joking. I'm guessing there's no choice anyways.

Thanks.
Bi only runs on windows

joke or not, windows is not malware, far from it. It isn’t 1995 anymore

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

Andy's instructional videos -

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here you can see the difference, in my IPC-HDW5241H-AS-PV camera there are no Warning Light and Audio linkage options. Therefore, the Active Deterrence system cannot be used by activating only SMD, it must be done with IVS rules.

Does anyone know if Dahua would listen to this request? There is no point in not activating something as there is no hardware limitation to not being able to do it.
While it is a great suggestion, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

Keep in mind that alarm page you reference is for an external alarm if you added one, not the internal components of the camera.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I work for a Hikvision dealer and I will tell you now, thier tech support, like others, are not as skilled as me. When I first was starting out, I called them once and once only because I put a new 4mp fisheye on an older hikvision installation (5 years old) at a body shop and wanted to quickly need the settings so I didn't have the "No resource" issue. Needless to say, I could have figured it out myself because they didn't know off hand and I went thru a trail and error with modes with the support guy that barely spoke clean English. Needless to say tech support with camera OEMs is always sketchy. I even have to submit sometimes the password reset form for a NVR 2-3 times after waiting an hour. Sometimes, I submit one and the next day I get the reset email so , its not so end user friendly. Even for a dealer installer. On cams, I find breaking out the ladder and manually reset them is less fustrating than going thru the reset wait that sometimes have to resend the submission form online.

The difference between getting ones off the bay and amazon and a dealer is most of the ones sold outside of a dealer are factory seconds that are not in the warranty database of theirs. But rarely had to replace a camera because of failure and those failures, the cams were installed 5+ years ago and outside cameras that are subjected to sub-zero temperatures every winter. If the camera works, it works.

I have been called out to people's houses from time to time of a hikvision system they got thru online sources. Most of the time, they bought an older NVR that don't support the high MP cameras well, or its cabling/network issues, or had too many whistle and bells enabled that never worked well in the first place.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While it is a great suggestion, you have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

Keep in mind that alarm page you reference is for an external alarm if you added one, not the internal components of the camera.

My intention was not to make a phone call either, it is in case there was a place where dahua collected requests or bug reports.

Here I leave again the configuration that should be seen, to be able to use light/audio with SMD.
1662323165083.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By pure chance, trying to see how to activate light/sound warnings for SMD, I found an access from the SmartPSS app.

Actually, even if you try to change the time played and/or the file always sounds alarm.wav only once, but something is something, for the warning lights I have not found an option. And it is a clear example that Dahua has not activated these options for SMD because they did not want it.
1662385386606.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you think......

This is a comparison between Backlight OFF and SSA/WDR (they are very similar)

It is evident that the SSA is seen with worse colors and a more "dirty" image but it really works in image burns, my scene has a strong contrast between sun / shadow area.

It seems that IVS rules work faster and more efficiently when set to WDR or SSA.

Thank you!

1662551209931.png

1662551242194.png