Seeking some guidance choosing first home camera setup

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the other hand, I would like to leave the detection of humans active by SMD because the truth is that it has worked for me much more precisely than the IVS rules.

The problem is that I am trying to adjust the SMD detection region as you can see in the video and it doesn't seem to apply for SMD, it seems to analyze the whole image.

I have seen a video where (attached link) applies a privacy mask, but this makes me lose a lot of information that can be valuable.

View attachment Setting - Internet Explorer 2022-08-30 14-50-17.mp4

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As you can see in this video. (2.32min) SMD can be applied to a certain area. It would not be necessary to apply privacy masks. Important note: Sensitivity and Threshold values do not apply to SMD, only to MD.

Anton Samborskyi - Area Technical Manager Hikvision Poland

Although this man who has made these very interesting videos is not going to help us, he is currently part of the Hikvision team. ;)

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
On of the things I've found with both trip wires and intrusion boxes is that less is more and simpler is better. Others have found that complex works for them. I think it's all a result of the specific scene more than anything else.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Sebastian, from the tests I'm doing, I think the same. The simpler the safer it will work.

What I don't know yet, if the region calibration would help to give "3D" DEPTH OF FIELD to the IVS algorithm.

The pity in my camera is that DAHUA has not enabled the alarm/light activation by SMD. Because what really works wonderfully in this camera is human detection, only with that right now I could do without IVS. It seems more reliable to me.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It drives me crazy testing, I can't get "Intrusion" to be reliable. I don't know if it will be because of the "camera orientation" but it detects it as if it were 2D purely without perspective, in this video you can see how it works correctly, when I define a totally 2D "box" and enter from the sides.

As you can see the SMD is very reliable and quickly recognizes human presence, it is the only option I have right now.

View attachment Live - Internet Explorer 2022-08-30 22-47-52.mp4
View attachment Live - Internet Explorer 2022-08-30 22-45-11.mp4

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is impressive is the ability to detect human, for me it is the most reliable right now by far, these IVS rules are going to make me lose my mind!! Here is an example of how it is able to detect my neighbor's small head when entering.

This is how the SMD detection area for HUMANS has turned out. I'm going to have to remove some "squares" from my neighbor's area.

1661928948063.png
View attachment Playback - Internet Explorer 2022-08-31 08-52-19.mp4

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Work some on your settings - is everything at default/auto? A lot of blur there that lends that it is auto settings.

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number. Drop sharpness down to like 42.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. Default/auto may be on 1/12 shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

But first, run H264, smart codec off, CBR, and 8192 bitrate to start, along with 15 FPS and 15 i-frame.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Can he increase the time of the Pre-trigger Video Buffer? Sometimes I was catching motion recording 2-3 seconds late. So I bumped up my Pre-trigger time. Now I see people move through/ across the frame without Clipping them off.

1661985515500.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can he increase the time of the Pre-trigger Video Buffer? Sometimes I was catching motion recording 2-3 seconds late. So I bumped up my Pre-trigger time. Now I see people move through/ across the frame without Clipping them off.

View attachment 138552
From which application are you accessing those parameters. In my case the recording is on the internal SD CARD in the camera. All the management is done from WebUI by internet explorer. The maximum preactivation is 5 seconds.

1661986671008.png

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Work some on your settings - is everything at default/auto? A lot of blur there that lends that it is auto settings.

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number. Drop sharpness down to like 42.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. Default/auto may be on 1/12 shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

But first, run H264, smart codec off, CBR, and 8192 bitrate to start, along with 15 FPS and 15 i-frame.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Infinite thanks for the advice, this was something I had to do after I finished my headache with the IVS rules. But since you have taken all this trouble to leave it very well detailed, here is the sample.

The image much better! but my IVS doesn't work!

1661986746766.png1661986780329.png1661986764429.png

View attachment Playback - Internet Explorer 2022-09-01 00-55-25.mp4