Semi-new member and Welcome advice on build

mcdye

n3wb
Reaction score
Was going down the box store package route, but stopped after discovering this site and the knowledge sharing. I have read over the wiki once, got glazed eyes, and info overloaded... going over again.

I am kind of under the gun and want to make the most of the wires already pulled, in a good general location to monitor the area, and may be pull some more. Welcome thoughts on placement, camera models to cover area, and a nvr. (BlueIris is interesting, but not for me at this time)

I have 2 wires pulled at both front eves (redx), the garage door (redx), the lower doors (greenx). I added to notes to the images as well.

Parking is going to be change, having the cars pull into the front of the units.

Thanks in advance and look forward to this new adventure.

Front.jpg FrtRightLookingNorth.jpg backgarage.jpg BackEntrance.jpg NightTimeBlink.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was going down the box store package route, but stopped after discovering this site and the knowledge sharing. I have read over the wiki once, got glazed eyes, and info overloaded... going over again.

I am kind of under the gun and want to make the most of the wires already pulled, in a good general location to monitor the area, and may be pull some more. Welcome thoughts on placement, camera models to cover area, and a nvr. (BlueIris is interesting, but not for me at this time)

I have 2 wires pulled at both front eves (redx), the garage door (redx), the lower doors (greenx). I added to notes to the images as well.

Parking is going to be change, having the cars pull into the front of the units.

Thanks in advance and look forward to this new adventure.

View attachment 100726 View attachment 100720 View attachment 100718 View attachment 100717 View attachment 100723

HI @mcdye

I like:
a camera at face level by the doors .. ( mini-dome wedge )
a camera pointing to the package drop area
2 cameras covering the "driveway" one on each side of the garage door.

in your case I would also want a camera covering the stairs going up .. so that I can get a face ID of anyone walking up.

If you are doing a vinyl siding, easy to pull cables lower behind the siding from higher points, this way you do not need to break the house wrap.

Reaction score
I see no light poles on that street away from the deadend. Definately, 5442 series cameras.
Do you have a PTZ in mind for future? That would look dandy way up at the roof pitch point.
Do you have a LPR in mind for the future? You are kinda stuck there as little to no real estate out front. But your house looks to be downhill so might catch plates as they come around the corner.
Maybe a #4 on front porch at 6' level... hidden in a fake rock / birdhouse / cathouse just to catch facial ID's.
Be warned...because of the existing lamp posts behind away from your house, anyone who walks up to your porch will have shadow unless you add you own lighting.
I would put the green X for the back at 6' level as well, right besides the door.
Color those rear posts in orange or green. I can easily see someone trying to do a U-turn and going OOPS.
You have no coverage between houses. But you are on a dead end. #1 cam and green X rear camera should be able to catch folks anyways.
Yes, as Mat200 said...for sure, camera at the door. Be it a VTO or boobie cam.
Think like a home intruder. He/she will walk toward your house until close and then put hoodie/mask on. Facial ID still works if positiioned right. Where will this person go? Front door or between houses for a window entry?

mcdye

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

@mat200

2 cameras covering the "driveway" one on each side of the garage door.
I was hoping to use a camera that I could point down some and out, to catch a backend to the house. Only one way in and out.

in your case I would also want a camera covering the stairs going up .. so that I can get a face ID of anyone walking up.
The camera on the lower porch and deck will catch them, the stairs only go from the lower level to the deck.

If you are doing a vinyl siding, easy to pull cables lower behind the siding from higher points, this way you do not need to break the house wrap.
Have to do hardie board. My luck the cable will get nailed into.

mcdye

n3wb
Reaction score
I see no light poles on that street away from the deadend. Definately, 5442 series cameras.
Do you have a PTZ in mind for future? That would look dandy way up at the roof pitch point.
Do you have a LPR in mind for the future? You are kinda stuck there as little to no real estate out front. But your house looks to be downhill so might catch plates as they come around the corner.
Maybe a #4 on front porch at 6' level... hidden in a fake rock / birdhouse / cathouse just to catch facial ID's.
Be warned...because of the existing lamp posts behind away from your house, anyone who walks up to your porch will have shadow unless you add you own lighting.
I would put the green X for the back at 6' level as well, right besides the door.
Color those rear posts in orange or green. I can easily see someone trying to do a U-turn and going OOPS.
You have no coverage between houses. But you are on a dead end. #1 cam and green X rear camera should be able to catch folks anyways.
Yes, as Mat200 said...for sure, camera at the door. Be it a VTO or boobie cam.
Think like a home intruder. He/she will walk toward your house until close and then put hoodie/mask on. Facial ID still works if positiioned right. Where will this person go? Front door or between houses for a window entry?
Thanks for the feed back.
The light pole is visible in the night shot image. It is the light up higher past the pool lights. "5442 series cameras" I gather there are several models with various options in a "series"?
Had not thought a PTZ. (having to google these acronyms, lol)
Not planned on LPR, wondering if trying a vari-focal to that distance on the front. The area of the parking lots are small.
All outside lighting is planned to be motion activated
Painting the post, might be frowned on, I was thinking some small pieces of reflection tape for night time.
There is only 1 window on one side between the houses, unless they have a 20ft ladder to access the other one.
Ok googling "boobie cam" was interesting....I was wondering something like that at the garage door to aim one more down and the other out some mounted on a Wall Mount Bracket. The parking area is small and slow moving.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back.
The light pole is visible in the night shot image. It is the light up higher past the pool lights. "5442 series cameras" I gather there are several models with various options in a "series"?
Had not thought a PTZ. (having to google these acronyms, lol)
Not planned on LPR, wondering if trying a vari-focal to that distance on the front. The area of the parking lots are small.
All outside lighting is planned to be motion activated
Painting the post, might be frowned on, I was thinking some small pieces of reflection tape for night time.
There is only 1 window on one side between the houses, unless they have a 20ft ladder to access the other one.
Ok googling "boobie cam" was interesting....I was wondering something like that at the garage door to aim one more down and the other out some mounted on a Wall Mount Bracket. The parking area is small and slow moving.
If that is the only light pole, I would slap in some lighting out front for sure. Maybe not 5,000 lumen flood light but at least 12v or 24v LED fixtures to give off some lighting in a immediate 0'-15' range. I installed a lampost out infront of my house just for that singular purpose. Remember, cameras need close enough lighting at the right angle to get a facial ID.
Most folks do not plan for either a PTZ or a LPR camera setup. Most do not actually need neither. I was just tossing it out there as an option because gotta think big :)
So here are my positions & angles and the reason why:
#1 and #2: IPC-T5442T-ZE. The 5442 series camera is the goto camera. This thing does it all, depending on the model. The "ZE" means varifocal, or in laymens terms, zoom. I suggest identifying a person as far away from your property as possible, within reason. Not so much a facial ID but more of a 'whats going on over there' kind of ID. This camera placed at #1 and #2 will catch a person 50'+ down the street to see what this person is doing (going car to car looking to break in? checking garbage cans? looking in front windows?).
#3 and #4: IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm fixed lens. Main purpose for these 2 cameras are facial ID and general of someone walking on the sidewalk approaching your porch and to keep an eye on things immediately around the porch area at a 5'-6' height from ground and 0'-10' range. If someone gets into a car parked infront or side of porch, the facial ID is crucial to give to police and also you can see what the person is doing.
-OR-
A single camera for the square betwen #3 and #4 up high on porch eave for front general duties. Though not ideal to catch faces.
#5: IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M is a dual camera for general close up duty. One camera points down to keep an eye on packages, the other points upwards to catch facial ID at the door. Or a Dahua DHI-VTO2202F-P 2MP Villa Outdoor Station that has a fisheye camera and you can have inside remote VTH displays. Can buy standalone or buy the KTP01 kit (1 VTO, 1 VTH, associate accessories).
#6: LPR: goes without saying. optional.
#7: Dahua SD49225XA-HNR to cover all bases. optional. It is rather nice to be able to 'track' a vehicle or person. optional
The squares on the corner walls would be 12v/24v lighting to reflect off a face in a 0'-10' range.
The rectangles on the concrete sidewalk should be excavated down 6', place punji sticks & pit viper snakes.
I included a picture of my IPC-T5442TM-AS 6mm (more zoom than a 2.8mm) with 24vdc lamp post lighting. You can see how far away or how close the lighting works enough to get a facial ID at a 6' height. If I didn't have lighting there, there would be no way I could get facial ID at 3am, in full color. In black & white? For sure but I love my color! But notice if this camera was 10'-12' high on eaves, their baseball caps would of hidden their faces. The video looks much better than the still image. The challenge with any camera to get facial ID at 3am is low lighting, movement speed, and distance from camera. I could probably tighten this up a bit (I believe it's at 1/120 manual shutter speed).
The number of cameras seem....excessive. I'm paranoid :) I originally had 4 cameras placed outside my house for general duty. Until I had a ongoing tire slasher. Catching facial ID at various angles were key to give proof to the local authorities. I now have 12 cameras for outdoor duties.

temp.jpg
temp2.jpeg

Last edited:

mcdye

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input so far. It is starting to soak in.
Any thoughts on the garage door camera?... ideally to view down (to watch the house corners) and outward somewhat..... wondering on the "boobie cam" on a wall mount for this location. My thinking is the camera under the deck will get better shot once of the vehicle when it actually pulls out of the parking area.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input so far. It is starting to soak in.
Any thoughts on the garage door camera?... ideally to view down (to watch the house corners) and outward somewhat..... wondering on the "boobie cam" on a wall mount for this location. My thinking is the camera under the deck will get better shot once of the vehicle when it actually pulls out of the parking area.
Hi @mcdye

In general, cameras watching down are not giving us the results we typically want ( example a good ID image ).

Cameras watching down imho are best for the package drop area, and watching parking spots available for say a business or perhaps a cash register for a business ..

The boobie cam imho is great for the front door .. can point one camera lens to watch those walking up to the door, and one to watch the package drop zone.

Reaction score
I have 3 camera dedicated for my driveway. Center is a 5442 2.8mm fixed, left & right are 5231's varifocal which I need to change out to 5442 varifocal for the AI duty.
Notice the center camera is not that great for facial ID since it is 10' above ground and trying to cover a wide space. I use it to see what is happening in the general area and IF someone comes at my vehicles.
The 5231 locations are designed to catch facial ID as they are placed 6' height off the ground (under my outdoor garage carriage lights) and are varifocal to zoom in. I have a 2 lane driveway so needed and left & right camera setup because if I had just 1 camera, someone could sneak around the farside of a vehicle and I wouldn't catch a face.
Why varifocals? Because when you swap a camera out (a better model or different location), the zoom may need to change. I have since decided all general duty cameras will be varifocals for now on since I move mine around alot.
Driveway Right x16 2021-09-08 02.36.08.84 PM.jpgDriveway Center x6 2021-09-08 02.35.50.740 PM.jpgDriveway Left x9 2021-09-08 02.36.16.220 PM.jpg

Last edited:

mcdye

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again,

I am cautious about jumping all in ($$$) with a camera a each spot starting out, and unsure what to put where. Thinking to get a couple of IPC-T5442T-ZE, trying them at various locations and add more or change model.
What would be a NVR to easily add camera's too? So far I have wire ran to 7 locations... (garage door, inside garage, patio door, upper deck door, front eves, and under porch). I know the famous last words, "wont add any more".

Reaction score
Thanks again,

I am cautious about jumping all in ($$$) with a camera a each spot starting out, and unsure what to put where. Thinking to get a couple of IPC-T5442T-ZE, trying them at various locations and add more or change model.
What would be a NVR to easily add camera's too? So far I have wire ran to 7 locations... (garage door, inside garage, patio door, upper deck door, front eves, and under porch). I know the famous last words, "wont add any more".
it does get spendy to go all in at once. Took me 2 years to go from 4 cameras to 20+ (with an added security event at my house). Didn't happen over night. Walk around your place outside two times: once at noon and once at midnight. Two completely different scenarios of camera setups. Think like a person of ill-will. What angle would the person come at your house, from where, how is the lighting, bushes/trees/fence, etc. Eventually, these are the places you will have cameras one day. At least, put wiring in place. Even if you end up never using them.

Reaction score
@Holbs, you need to do some serious tweaking of settings on those cams, they are seriously over exposed.
yea...these 3 are all set to auto. bad bad bad me. I only really use the left/right 5231's in B&W mode at night. I was going to adjust them (all of my cameras actually... ) but then bought 5442 varifocals to replace them to get the AI HUMAN functionality. On my todo list at #4 (used to be #12!)