Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing long delays for the notifications? Mine are working, but they're taking upwards of 1-2 minutes to come in using the curl script. It's been working fine for months, but over the last week or two it's gotten really bad. I added the pushover client for web browser, and it's delayed too - even when sending tests from the pushover dasboard.
I have not noticed this, perhaps because I’m now exclusively using my bi_gif_tool.ps1 utility instead the curl command (I’ve gotten used to a bit of delay).

However, I can say that I am sending dozens of pushover notifications a day via Powershell scripts I am working on. For these, I have noticed no delays.

Perhaps the delay you’re experiencing is caused by Blue Iris? One way to test would be to test sending Pushover curl notifications via your Windows cmd.exe.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have not noticed this, perhaps because I’m now exclusively using my bi_gif_tool.ps1 utility instead the curl command (I’ve gotten used to a bit of delay).

However, I can say that I am sending dozens of pushover notifications a day via Powershell scripts I am working on. For these I have noticed no delays.

Perhaps the delay you’re experiencing is caused by Blue Iris? One way to test would be to test sending Pushover notifications via your Windows cmd.exe.
Yeah, I'm now getting the tests from the pushover dashboard instantly on PC and phone. It's something on the BI side. When I do a "trigger now" it is taking minutes. I'll try the command line now.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, so if I'm clear on how to run the command line, I just paste curl.exe followed by the same parm string I have in BI, correct? I'm getting nothing - no errors - and no push. Sorry, I'm a rookie on this stuff

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you have to have the setting ‘Wait for process to finish’ checked?
This might cause a bit of delay (but probably not minutes)

1708016661228.png

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, so if I'm clear on how to run the command line, I just paste curl.exe followed by the same parm string I have in BI, correct? I'm getting nothing - no errors - and no push. Sorry, I'm a rookie on this stuff
See section Testing using the Windows Command Prompt in post #1.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ah yes, sorry - I was being lazy --- busted! :) No, I have the "wait for process to complete" unchecked.

What's interesting is it seems when I'm in the pushover app on my android phone, there is no notification, but when I pull down to "refresh" the list of alerts, it'll show up. I've now uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Same thing. I have all optimizations for battery turned off.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, sending just a test message from the command line on the BI machine, it pops up instantly on the browser-client of my PC. The app on the phone, however, takes anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds. Interestingly, if I "trigger now" the BI camera, right after sending a test message, the notification on the phone happens within a few seconds.

It seems to me the pathway from pushover to my phone is delayed - or at a minimum, not consistent. I did get this error earlier today:
A problem has been detected with your Pushover device "current device name". While sending notifications to it, we were notified by Google that your device is no longer accessible and cannot receive push notifications.

This can happen if you have uninstalled the Pushover app, restored from an old backup of your device (or that of another device), have had unstable Internet connectivity, or are on a network with a firewall that is blocking your device's connection to Google.

Unfortunately we do not get any additional information about the specific problem with your device, only that it is no longer reachable. To get notifications working on your device again, please see our Knowledge Base.

Once your device is re-registered with Pushover, we can continue delivering push notifications to your device.
That was prompted by me turning on an older, decommissioned phone from months ago that had the same pushover device name - I think. It prompted me to reinstall on my current phone, and the error didn't come back. The delay, though, has been present for weeks. I just wonder if there isn't something wonky going on between the google play services backend and my account.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HTML in your message string is not showing because you have not included --form-string "html=1"
So here's my current message with the code above but I'm still unable to get the link.

https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=ABCD" --form-string "user=ABCD" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" --form-string "html=1"

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So here's my current message with the code above but I'm still unable to get the link.

https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=ABCD" --form-string "user=ABCD" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" --form-string "html=1"
You have duplicate message arguments. Remove this one:
--form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO"
It’s replacing the one first with the links you want.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing long delays for the notifications? Mine are working, but they're taking upwards of 1-2 minutes to come in using the curl script. It's been working fine for months, but over the last week or two it's gotten really bad. I added the pushover client for web browser, and it's delayed too - even when sending tests from the pushover dasboard.
No. Working the same for me as always. Delay can be anywhere from a few seconds to 15 or so.

bergs

n3wb
Reaction score
About to try this. Do I need to pay $5 for every new device? ie. Do I have to pay for myself, and then again for my Wife's phone; and then again when we both buy new devices? That's kinda unclear in the first post.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
About to try this. Do I need to pay $5 for every new device? ie. Do I have to pay for myself, and then again for my Wife's phone; and then again when we both buy new devices? That's kinda unclear in the first post.
I believe it is $5 per Google Play account, and $5 per Apple Store account.

If family members share the Google Play or Apple Store account, then they can share the app.

If you migrate the Google Play or Apple account to a new device, you do not need to pay again. Just like all your other apps. (I just did this last week - to a new Galaxy S24+)

You can also pay $5 for a desktop browser account (per browser).

See more here...

Last edited:

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, folks.

First, thanks to @jaydeel for his excellent presentation, continuing guidance and patience of a saint throughout this thread. Additional thanks to all the other contributors as well.

Like many, I ended up here as a result of my otherwise perfectly functioning MMS alerts through Gmail/Verizon just taking a dump one day and never rebounding.

My needs were quite modest compared to everyone else's here. Alerts from one zone of one camera handling the ingress/egress at my driveway entrance. I simply needed a fast and reliable alternative to the setup that had been flawless for a couple of years.

I read the entire 28 page thread, many specific areas several times, and a working solution still eluded me. Tried everything suggested hoping to get anything to work. It all seemed way too complicated just to receive a single alert image from a simple trigger. No AI, no LPR, no storage manipulation or secret tricks, no anything except a 12 pixel zone across the entrance of my driveway.

Hell, I tried everything else except this. When all else fails....

It threw a User Auth error right out of the gate. Double and triple checked what I received from Pushover and everything seemed correct. What I didn't realize was that the actual API app token still needed to be created separately. I had confused the user key with being the API token and the assigned email info as the user key. What can I say? I should have read the API overview more thoroughly as well. Yeah. Dumb ass.

Up and running now in the most basic configuration possible -- just a single alert image push. Some fine tuning should smooth out occasional double triggers and hopefully some surprisingly random delay times in the alerts. Overall though, I'm happy with it.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for this particular configuration among all the concerns about excessive storage problems, phantom alerts that disappeared after being processed, no jpgs, too many jpgs, triggers stepping on one another negating alerts, even questions about how to just push a basic image similar to an email or SMS method (but faster) that never seemed to generate any traction toward a simple answer.

So for anyone else looking for the most basic ground floor method of using the Pushover API with curl to simply replace email attachments or MMS alerts, this is it. The bells and whistles and additional creative elaboration basically need this foundation for starters anyway. Start simple. It'll get complicated soon enough on its own. LOL

Important note: The bare bones approach to this particular trigger setup is derived from a clone of my driveway camera exclusively for the purpose. The main camera handles the general motion detection and event recording, hence no recording configuration below. It isn't necessary to generate a single alert jpg.

Simple Push.jpg

-s --form-string "token=" --form-string "user=*" --form-string "message=YOUR_TEXT_HERE" - F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

I just added the extra two minutes onto the trigger before posting this hoping it may possibly eliminate the extra alerts or maybe somehow assist the Motion Sensor Break Time and Alert Duration settings.

I'm also interested in how changing the default macro above may also assist in eliminating dual alerts -- presumably from a trigger on either side of the 1:00:00 mark as was discussed early on in the thread. And if that's indeed a reasonable consideration, how would the corresponding curl entry look? (Unless lengthening the time effectively does the same thing in such a simple example?)

Again, mega thanks to @jaydeel and everyone else who contributed here.

This was quite an exercise for me, but I learned a lot. And if it weren't fun...!

Last edited:

Beauthedog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about the curl commands in the first post of this thread. I recently setup Blue Iris for the first time. I have my camera on a second NIC in my PC. I setup a Zero Tier IP address, and added both the Blue Iris PC and my phone and my phone to Zero Tier. In Blue Iris, in the settings window, on the Web Server tab, I selected the Zero Tier IP address for the LAN. The WAN is a random address that I’m not sure where it came from.

I setup the Blue Iris app on my iPhone using the Zero Tier address for the LAN, and the Blue Iris PC’s address for the WAN (Note that this address was different than the address that appears in the Web server tab for the WAN. In the Blue Iris app I am able to connect to my camera both on and off WiFi.

I then tried setting up a pushover alert following the instructions on post 1. I am able to receive the pushover alerts however the links are not working for UI3 or the high res image in the pushover alert. The pushover link is using the WAN from the Blue Iris web server tab.

do I need to update the commands from post 1 to use the LAN instead of the WAN if I am connecting via Zero Tier? I’m also a little confused on what IP address is being used, whether it’s the LAN or the WAN depending on if I’m connected to my WiFi or not. I also don’t understand why there are two WANs.
Finally, is UI3 just an alternate to the blue Iris app? What is the benefit of using UI3?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about the curl commands in the first post of this thread. I recently setup Blue Iris for the first time. I have my camera on a second NIC in my PC. I setup a Zero Tier IP address, and added both the Blue Iris PC and my phone and my phone to Zero Tier. In Blue Iris, in the settings window, on the Web Server tab, I selected the Zero Tier IP address for the LAN. The WAN is a random address that I’m not sure where it came from.

I setup the Blue Iris app on my iPhone using the Zero Tier address for the LAN, and the Blue Iris PC’s address for the WAN (Note that this address was different than the address that appears in the Web server tab for the WAN. In the Blue Iris app I am able to connect to my camera both on and off WiFi.

I then tried setting up a pushover alert following the instructions on post 1. I am able to receive the pushover alerts however the links are not working for UI3 or the high res image in the pushover alert. The pushover link is using the WAN from the Blue Iris web server tab.

do I need to update the commands from post 1 to use the LAN instead of the WAN if I am connecting via Zero Tier? I’m also a little confused on what IP address is being used, whether it’s the LAN or the WAN depending on if I’m connected to my WiFi or not. I also don’t understand why there are two WANs.
Finally, is UI3 just an alternate to the blue Iris app? What is the benefit of using UI3?
The local, internal access setting (LAN) should be the local network address and port for your Blue Iris webserver, e.g. 192.168.0.17:81.

The remote, external (WAN) setting should be the Zero Tier address and port for your Blue Iris webserver, e.g., 123.44.33.22:81. Or until you get it working, you could also try your Blue Iris PC’s ddns address,and webserver port, e.g., myname.ddns.net:81.

You should also add all of your device’s Zero Tier addresses (and ddns address) to the Settings > Web server > Advanced > Limit access by IP address box, like ‘^123.88.77.66’.

The WAN setting in Blue Iris device app must match the WAN setting in the Blue Iris web server dialog.

As you have noted, when you use macros &LAN and &WAN in the pushover curl commands in Blue Iris action sets, the macros expand to the values in the Blue Iris Settings > Web server dialog. If you use the &WAN macro with a Zero Tier address, then your device must have the Zero Tier VPN enabled for the UI3 and HiRes hyperlinks to work.

One benefit of UI3 over the Blue Iris device app is that UI3 can be opened to directly stream an alert.

Beauthedog

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! That worked, and that setup makes a lot more sense. I had followed a YouTube video that had put the Zero Tier address into the LAN which is why I was confused.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. my Iphone app worked last week. but now it hasn't been working. I still get push notifications but can't use app to take a look. my IPad, and others people who have app on there phones (Samsung) still work. I did update BI to get IOS push notifications certificate updates a couple weeks ago. only my Iphone not seeing WAN. Thank's

Beauthedog

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. my Iphone app worked last week. but now it hasn't been working. I still get push notifications but can't use app to take a look. my IPad, and others people who have app on there phones (Samsung) still work. I did update BI to get IOS push notifications certificate updates a couple weeks ago. only my Iphone not seeing WAN. Thank's
If you are using a VPN, did you check the settings for your iPhone to make sure that the VPN is still turned on? After I installed Zero Tier on my phone I found that a VPN option showed up in the settings under “Cellular” on my iPhone 12. If that is disabled, the UI3 links do not work until I enable it. I’m not sure why but a couple of times I’ve found that the VPNs been disabled.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I only see VPN options under General,Settings. VPN & Device Management. All that is on. Showing Blue Iris, ZeroTier One. iPad and a couple friends can login fine. I deleted app and reinstalled it. I think it’s worse now because I’m not even getting push notifications.:banghead: