Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could someone please explain a very basic yet critical part of the script from post #1?
  • You must replace the placeholders YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE and YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE.
What are these placeholders? I made an account on pushover, using my email address, and they sent back a "user key" which is a long alpha-numeric string and a device email address which it says I can send push notifications directly to. So which of these is the APP TOKEN and which is the USER KEY??? Or am I completely missing something? Been trying to get this to work for hours. Thanks!

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Could someone please explain a very basic yet critical part of the script from post #1?
  • You must replace the placeholders YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE and YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE.
What are these placeholders? I made an account on pushover, using my email address, and they sent back a "user key" which is a long alpha-numeric string and a device email address which it says I can send push notifications directly to. So which of these is the APP TOKEN and which is the USER KEY??? Or am I completely missing something? Been trying to get this to work for hours. Thanks!
1. Open pushover.net
2. Log into you account
3. Scroll down your dashboard a bit to find YOUR_USER_KEY
4. Scroll down a bit further to the ‘Your Applications’ section
5. Click the provided link to create your first “application”
6. Fill in any name you want (e.g. ‘BlueIris’)
7. Skip the other fields for now, and click the ‘Create Application’ button
8. Now you will get YOUR_APP_TOKEN

You can create multiple “applications” (I have 7, but now use 3 daily).
Each “application” can send 10,000 notifications per month.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOB

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Open pushover.net
2. Log into you account
3. Scroll down your dashboard a bit to find YOUR_USER_KEY
4. Scroll down a bit further to the ‘Your Applications’ section
5. Click the provided link to create your first “application”
6. Fill in any name you want (e.g. ‘BlueIris’)
7. Skip the other fields for now, and click the ‘Create Application’ button
8. Now you will get YOUR_APP_TOKEN

You can create multiple “applications” (I have 7, but now use 3 daily).
Each “application” can send 10,000 notifications per month.
Thanks, that was the piece I was missing. It's working now. Much appreciated!

roymickton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has the download link been removed? Or is it my browser not showing it.....

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Got this working but sometimes the jpeg doesn't come through although the links work.
Why? Timing issue? Too many requests possibly? How can I improve it?
It’s a pushover thing. I’ve noticed it too. If you refresh/pull down they usually come through.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Got this working but sometimes the jpeg doesn't come through although the links work.
The Pushover API will drop image attachments that exceed 2500 KB. 4MP+ resolution cameras can produce images greater than the API limit.

If you are attaching hi-res JPG images, you can check if this might be the case by looking at the JPG file sizes in the Alerts folder for the affected cameras.

I've created 2 work arounds for oversized attachments.
Pushover resize tool
GIF tool

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Pushover API will drop image attachments that exceed 2500 KB. 4MP+ resolution cameras can produce images greater than the API limit.

If you are attaching hi-res JPG images, you can check if this might be the case by looking at file sizes in the Alerts folder for the affected cameras.

Pushover resize tool
GIF tool
Yes they are high res but only 1920x1080 not 4k. I'll have a look at reducing the size though.
Telegram sends them without issues
Do you have the links or post number?
Thanks

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

If you are attaching hi-res JPG images, you can check if this might be the case by looking at file sizes in the Alerts folder for the affected cameras.

Yes they are high res but only 1920x1080 not 4k. I'll have a look at reducing the size though.
Telegram sends them without issues
Do you have the links or post number?
Thanks
just added links to post #409.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

just added links to post #409.
Thank you very much. I'll delve into that tomorrow

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I should have asked… Have you’ve tried tapping the image icon in the blank notifications?

The client app will try to download the image again.

It is my understanding that a successfully uploaded attachment will stay on the Pushover server until successfully downloaded by a client app. I think this might be true for every device specified in the API call.

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should have asked… Have you’ve tried tapping the image icon in the blank notifications?

The client app will try to download the image again.

It is my understanding that a successfully uploaded attachment will stay on the Pushover server until successfully downloaded by a client app. I think this might be true for every device specified in the API call.
Ah yes that does it. Duhh
If I click it and then go back to the channel it appears. Thanks!
Still would be good to reduce the size.
I'm BI it has the option of automatic or reduce the size in alerts
I'll experiment

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just had a thought. If you send the notification to multiple devices, and the attachment is not empty/blank on all devices, then the attachment file size probably is not the issue.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just had a thought. If you send the notification to multiple devices, and the attachment is not empty/blank on all devices, then the attachment file size probably is not the issue.
Yep thought about that earlier and reduced the numbers of devices which certainly improved the matter.
Just to chrome and my primary phone now

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep thought about that earlier and reduced the numbers of devices which certainly improved the matter.
Just to chrome and my primary phone now
That's not really the point I was making, but I understand why you tried this.

You may find it ok now to go back to delivering the notification to more than 2 devices.

We're you seeing blank/empty image icons on every device?

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's not really the point I was making, but I understand why you tried this.

You may find it ok now to go back to delivering the notification to more than 2 devices.

We're you seeing blank/empty image icons on every device?
Sorry yep just reread your post. In between my wife on the phone, son talking and watching prime

Wonder if it's related to firing off the alerts with jpegs to telegram and pushover at the same time

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my use case, essentially the only times I get consistent notifications that are missing the image attachment are when I am the person leaving the house, setting off a few alerts. I attribute those missing photo attachments to in essence a glitch that occurs during that brief moment when I am leaving my own wifi signal and my phone is transitioning over to mobile data (as well as trying to maintain a full-time OpenVPN connection back to my home router).

Meh, not really a big problem in my book, I could still download the images later if I truly wanted to.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ahb
In my use case, essentially the only times I get consistent notifications that are missing the image attachment are when I am the person leaving the house, setting off a few alerts. I attribute those missing photo attachments to in essence a glitch that occurs during that brief moment when I am leaving my own wifi signal and my phone is transitioning over to mobile data (as well as trying to maintain a full-time OpenVPN connection back to my home router).

Meh, not really a big problem in my book, I could still download the images later if I truly wanted to.
You could be on to something there.
My house has several access points due to a lot of interference between floors and rooms.
I was walking around testing while those grey missed jpegs appeared.
I'll get my misses to test while I sit next to my 5ghz gateway