Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see the windows desktop app pushover never misses any of the jpegs showing, they all download - only the app has the issues in my case

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I've also noticed it seems to happen more often when I'm transitioning from wifi to cellular on my phone. The alerts will come through but not the pictures. As soon as I refresh the app or tap on the missing picture, they show up.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've also noticed it seems to happen more often when I'm transitioning from wifi to cellular on my phone. The alerts will come through but not the pictures. As soon as I refresh the app or tap on the missing picture, they show up.
ah mine don't even appear on my phone if I refresh by pulling down, very random

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ah caught something in the alert command line.. I had recently disabled my gateway ports and stopped using ddns and nginx.

Using twingate right now.

I just changed &WAN to &LAN as when I was clicking on the link it was trying to take me to my ddns URL of course! duhh
Lets see if that helps - quick test and they came through on my phone

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I set up Pushover to send me a text notification and image a while back using the intructions listed in the early part of this thread. I have not touched my setup for quite a while. There was a period of time where I feel like I stopped getting any text notifications. I'm a procrastinator and never bothered to check into why. Eventually I started getting notifications again (perhaps the entire computer was restarted or something). Now I get the Pushover notifications again as expected, but the attached picture is from the previous alert, not the real time alert.

Has anyone else experienced this or know why I would get pictures of the previous alert instead of the current/live alert?

Thanks!

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I set up Pushover to send me a text notification and image a while back using the intructions listed in the early part of this thread. I have not touched my setup for quite a while. There was a period of time where I feel like I stopped getting any text notifications. I'm a procrastinator and never bothered to check into why. Eventually I started getting notifications again (perhaps the entire computer was restarted or something). Now I get the Pushover notifications again as expected, but the attached picture is from the previous alert, not the real time alert.

Has anyone else experienced this or know why I would get pictures of the previous alert instead of the current/live alert?

Thanks!
Yes, I've run across this phenomenon. My recollection is that this can happen when you are not creating hi-res alert images, or AI markup images. In this case Blue Iris creates ephemeral temp jpgs. Furthermore, the existence of these temp images was version-dependent. See this link for more info. I’ve not investigated this recently.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I've run across this phenomenon. My recollection is that this can happen when you are not creating hi-res alert images, or AI markup images. In this case Blue Iris creates ephemeral temp jpgs. Furthermore, the existence of these temp images was version-dependent. See this link for more info. I’ve not investigated this recently.
I'm not seeing this on the most recent stable BI. I'll need to check and see if I have hi-res alerts images checked. I am not using AI at all.

Edit: I am using Hi-res alert images for the camera I have setup to send Pushover links.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to have stopped getting alert sounds from Pushover during android Do Not Disturb at night.
I have added Pushover to the allowed apps to bypass DND in the phone's system/DND settings, and added --form-string "priority=1"-- to the alert string in BI, and the alert does show in red on the pushover app on phone, indicating that it knows it's a priority 1 alert... but I still have no sound during DND (but I do other times...if I turn off DND I get the sound alert just fine). Any clue what I missed?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I seem to have stopped getting alert sounds from Pushover during android Do Not Disturb at night.
I have added Pushover to the allowed apps to bypass DND in the phone's system/DND settings, and added --form-string "priority=1"-- to the alert string in BI, and the alert does show in red on the pushover app on phone, indicating that it knows it's a priority 1 alert... but I still have no sound during DND (but I do other times...if I turn off DND I get the sound alert just fine). Any clue what I missed?
Assuming you are using an Android device, check out post #139 in this thread… NOTE: This post shows screenshots from a device running Android 12; I just checked on an Android 13 device, and the screenshots look basically the same.

Last edited:

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming you are using an Android device, check out post #139 in this thread… NOTE: This post shows screenshots from a device running Android 12; I just checked on an Android 13 device, and the screenshots look basically the same.
**UPDATE: In the android phone DND settings I added "ALL" apps to the "allow during DND" list, in addition to Pushover, and I started getting the audible notification during DND. Then I deleted all but Pushover, and I'm now still getting the sounds during DND. Why? no clue! But for now, that's working. I will test further tonight.

Thanks... I checked those settings and they are ok, so it is something else. no idea what though...The alert I get is in red indicating a high priority alert (and it says "high priority" on the pushover alert), I assume the BI alert string is dong it's job correctly. And guessing pushover is also since it says so. It seems the phone can't manage getting through DND despite the elevated alert level and the choosing of Pushover as an app that should ignore DND setting. I seem to have a choice of all alerts all night or not having the pushover sound.

Last edited:

joelones

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anybody have an idea why the html isn't rendering.. I see the makeup in my message on both iOS / Android:

Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=%996" --form-string  "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" --form-string "device="%998" --form-string "html=1"

joelones

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm now trying to get the powershell resize version working. It works from the command line but I cannot for the life of me get it to work within BI. "c:\ps_scripts" is in my system path. I see nothing in the log as well. Thoughts? Using windows 10.

1696020008289.png

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm now trying to get the powershell resize version working. It works from the command line but I cannot for the life of me get it to work within BI. "c:\ps_scripts" is in my system path. I see nothing in the log as well. Thoughts? Using windows 10.

View attachment 173595
Read the “Testing the Action Set” section of the Help PDF.
In particular, does this apply…
“The service by default runs as a user called “local service” which does not have the same access to the system as your user account. For most action types, it’s recommended that you run the service with your own user account instead. This is changed by opening the
Windows service manager (search for services) and edit the Blue Iris service entry Login page. See the Administration chapter for instructions.”

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just curious,

Below, what does &maximize=1 do?
I only ask because I dont have that parameter or what not in my command so wss just wondering if im missing out. Lol
rec=&ALERT_DB&maximize=1"

joelones

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Read the “Testing the Action Set” section of the Help PDF.
In particular, does this apply…
“The service by default runs as a user called “local service” which does not have the same access to the system as your user account. For most action types, it’s recommended that you run the service with your own user account instead. This is changed by opening the
Windows service manager (search for services) and edit the Blue Iris service entry Login page. See the Administration chapter for instructions.”
ok thanks, will look into that but i don't think i even see a blueiris service to be honest

sorry to bring this up here, perhaps i'm better suited to take this to the BI forums or something

btw i'm running BI with a bat file on startup, not sure what access it's under, thought i was already running with admin access

1696093300676.png

this is the bat file:
Code:
@echo off
cd "C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5"
start BlueIrisAdmin.exe
exit
this is the security of the the blueirisadmin.exe

1696093085103.png

perhaps this regedit might work:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Options]
"runasadmin"=dword:00000001
correction that's already set...

EDIT:
I set it as a service under my user and it appears to work. I seem to be getting a popup which I take is normal

1696095362935.png

Attachments

Last edited: