Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm just checking in to see if any workarounds were ever discovered for the "database compaction leading to dead links" issue were ever found. I am sort of "revisiting" this Pushover notifications subject, after spending some time with using the (frankly awful) official Android BI app. UI3 is so vastly superior, I wish I could use it all the time, and with working links directly from notifications. This works great, but I am trying to get away from having to manually run the database maintenance (which breaks the links), or automatic, which will do the same thing daily, etc...
Any news on this front?
No news yet...
Suggest emailing Ken. The more requesters, the more likely he'll add features.

Last edited:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No news yet...
Suggest emailing Ken. The more requesters, he more likely he'll add features.
Sounds like a plan, and I have actually had really good luck with that so far, I am two for two on my requests getting implemented.

Deano65

n3wb
Reaction score
Afternoon all. I've been using this pushover notification for a number of months now, and it works wonderfully.

There is one thing that I can't seem to figure out. Each morning, I see the notification from the night before, but I cannot click on the videos. When I do, the app tells me they are not available (can't recall the exact problem) and then simply shows me the UI3 camera layout with real-time videos for each camera.

This happens each and every day.

Any ideas where or why this is happening?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Afternoon all. I've been using this pushover notification for a number of months now, and it works wonderfully.

There is one thing that I can't seem to figure out. Each morning, I see the notification from the night before, but I cannot click on the videos. When I do, the app tells me they are not available (can't recall the exact problem) and then simply shows me the UI3 camera layout with real-time videos for each camera.

This happens each and every day.

Any ideas where or why this is happening?
It is probably because you have the DB compacting/repairing every night at 2am (the default setting unless you change it).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since nobody has mentioned anything, I assume I am the only one experiencing more and more pushover photos not coming over?

No consistent pattern - it will happen away from home or home. Only camera being triggered or multiple cameras being triggered. Happens whether it is the API or the email.

I have not been able to find a repeatable pattern.

1652666014954.png

@jaydeel - any ideas on where I should be looking at?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I see this from time to time. But never as many as you’re seeing.

I have not been able to find a repeatable pattern.
Nor have I !!

Have you checked your Pushover dashboard to see if it shows anything?

This is another reason why I include image and UI3 URLs in the message.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is something puzzling in the Pushover dashboard - it shows only one API message today?

1652668341613.png

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I’ve also noticed that chart seems to lag…
I haven’t researched why that might be.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@wittaj I forgot to ask… did you try tapping the placeholder icon image?

Sometimes this action downloads the image if it still exists on the pushover server.

it just happened to me this morning.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I have tried that too to no avail. I would totally be fine if that worked. So now it causes me to VPN and open up BI.

I think I will send something to Pushover to see there thoughts, but I am sure they will blame it on BI lol.

If a pattern presented itself it would make troubleshooting easier.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Agreed.

BTW, if you don't like connecting to VPN full-time while away from home (I prefer this), you can include a link in the notification to open UI3 and stream the alert. Use your ddns address & BI port.

ChrisX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have problem to look videos from last day over UI3 .. Only today Videos working.. Example 1 and 2.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
i have problem to look videos from last day over UI3 .. Only today Videos working.. Example 1 and 2.
The DB locators used in the UI3 links are valid for as long as the database is not rebuilt or compressed, which is daily at 2am by default.

If you want the links to persist longer, reduce the default database maintenance frequency on the Settings>Clips and archiving tab (e.g., weekly, or every 2-3 days).

Email support if you‘d like to request a change to this behavior. The more requests the better.

See also discussion around this post…

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It appears that this issue is about to be fixed.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Cool beans! :cool: I'm going to check it out since I've lost faith in SMS to att.net

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It appears that this issue is about to be fixed.
Seems to work, I did some quick tests tonight after running the routine (daily style) database maintenance, and most clips played fine in UI3. I did have one or two that gave me issues, but then those also played after running the next higher level of database maintenance/compaction.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah man, just when I though I had it made...SMH :facepalm: I have cam #1 sending Pushovers to my tablet and mobile phone perfectly and the Play Video link works so I set up cam #2 the same way but get error pop-ups in UI3 whe I click the Play Video link.

On the Tablet I get this:

recording1.JPG

On the MobilePhone I get this:

recording.JPG

There's something different between the two cam setups but haven't placed my finger on it yet. On cam #1 everything works according to plan, but for cam #2 I get those pop-ups. Same exact Parameter code...weirdness.....

-s --form-string "token=redacted" --form-string "user=redacted" --form-string "message=Alert on: <b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=Tablet,MobilePhone" --form-string "sound=DEFAULT SOUND" --form-string "url_title=Play Video Alert" --form-string "url=&LAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB&maximize=1" -F "attachment=@E:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Try an @ before the &ALERT_DB.
See Ken’s instructions in this post

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Try an ampersand before &ALERT_DB
&&ALERT_DB causes it to play all the cams at the same time at the current time and not the triggered time.

e.g. it just causes UI3 to start up like you normally do in a browser.