server 2016 high CPU usage live view over RDP, No Graphics Card, 4K cameras.

Reaction score
On my i7-2600, unlimited frame rate+RDP was the recipe for disaster. I solved this with live view limited to 3fps, because I use UI3 primarily for viewing, and it seems to work fine (like I can easily view on multiple systems via UI3 and still get 10-15fps.

However, I’m at a relatively low total MP/s, as I mostly have 2MP (for night vision), and only a couple 4MP cameras altogether (and nothing higher resolution than that.

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On my i7-2600, unlimited frame rate+RDP was the recipe for disaster. I solved this with live view limited to 3fps, because I use UI3 primarily for viewing, and it seems to work fine (like I can easily view on multiple systems via UI3 and still get 10-15fps.

However, I’m at a relatively low total MP/s, as I mostly have 2MP (for night vision), and only a couple 4MP cameras altogether (and nothing higher resolution than that.
I have mine set to 3 fps as well. Helps keep it 65-75% in live view, but playback hits 100 and has major motion blur.

Reaction score
I have mine set to 3 fps as well. Helps keep it 65-75% in live view, but playback hits 100 and has major motion blur.
hmm, definitely seems like something is the matter. I just tested and on my i7-2600k, and I was able to playback a stream at 2x via RDP while also playing back a completely different camera stream in UI3 at the same time. Unfortunately, mine is so old, the Intel Graphics driver doesn't support the required WMI version to update in Task Manager.
  • Baseline CPU (how I run day-to-day) :: UI3 only (JPEG HD), (Video update during Remote View default setting: 5sec) 14-18%
  • UI3 (1 stream playback, 4MP cam, 1x speed, 720p UI3 window) 15-19%
  • RDP + Live View (10fps) + UI3 view only = 45% peak, then 15-19%
  • RDP + Live View (10fps) + UI3 Playback (4MP 1x speed) = 24% peak, then 18-24%
  • RDP + Live View (10fps) + UI3 Playback (4MP 1x speed, 4k UI3 resolution) + Live playback (2MP, 2x speed)= 45% peak, then 36-48%
  • RDP + UI3 view only + Remote Video refresh rate: Unlimited = 27% - 33%
Also these percentages might need to be taken with a grain of salt, as hyper-threaded processors do not increase linearly from 50% to 100%, beyond a certain percentage of CPU usage (~ 60-75% depending on load type, they will suddenly shoot up to 100%). My guess is some setting, or config item is putting you into that range and that's why you are slamming into the 100% bar.

Hitting a disk bandwidth limit, memory limit or a iGPU limit or something. Just a guess.

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hmm, definitely seems like something is the matter. I just tested and on my i7-2600k, and I was able to playback a stream at 2x via RDP while also playing back a completely different camera stream in UI3 at the same time. Unfortunately, mine is so old, the Intel Graphics driver doesn't support the required WMI version to update in Task Manager.
  • Baseline CPU (how I run day-to-day) :: UI3 only (JPEG HD), (Video update during Remote View default setting: 5sec) 14-18%
  • UI3 (1 stream playback, 4MP cam, 1x speed, 720p UI3 window) 15-19%
  • RDP + Live View (10fps) + UI3 view only = 45% peak, then 15-19%
  • RDP + Live View (10fps) + UI3 Playback (4MP 1x speed) = 24% peak, then 18-24%
  • RDP + Live View (10fps) + UI3 Playback (4MP 1x speed, 4k UI3 resolution) + Live playback (2MP, 2x speed)= 45% peak, then 36-48%
  • RDP + UI3 view only + Remote Video refresh rate: Unlimited = 27% - 33%
Also these percentages might need to be taken with a grain of salt, as hyper-threaded processors do not increase linearly from 50% to 100%, beyond a certain percentage of CPU usage (~ 60-75% depending on load type, they will suddenly shoot up to 100%). My guess is some setting, or config item is putting you into that range and that's why you are slamming into the 100% bar.

Hitting a disk bandwidth limit, memory limit or a iGPU limit or something. Just a guess.
Thank you for toes numbers. I did do some more testing and found that the issue is independent of bi. I ran into the same issue playing bi 4k videos in media player as well as YouTube 4k streams. It may be the OS as the version of server 2016 I am running is datacenter. I do have desktop experience feature installed. So I am looking at what the best option may be. I can move the server to another box, but rather not get into that as this server is running a file share, radius and domain controller. All of that has almost no overhead in this environment so I could put that on almost any box. The current case of the system has room for multiple drives so if I move bi over to another system it will need to write to a network fileshare. I did have bi running fine on a HP mini, but I was not feeding 4k streams into it. Should be fine though because it does have a newer gen 17 processor. the other option would be (not sure how logical this is) run bi on the server to record and run another issue of bi on the mini to play back and view live. that way the server instance of bi can write direct to local storage. anyone have any thoughts on these solutions or other ideas you want to throw into the mix?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not see that you have support for the graphic processor. Set it up on windows 10. try upgrade to windows 10 using Microsoft media creation tool. Not sure if this will work on a server 2016.

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do not see that you have support for the graphic processor. Set it up on windows 10. try upgrade to windows 10 using Microsoft media creation tool. Not sure if this will work on a server 2016.
that is what I was thinking by installing on the hp desktop mini. It would be a win 10 build on an i7 processor. The only issue would be storage space, so it would need to write back to the file-share on the server. No the best solution as it introduces another failure point.

mike james

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's input and testing. Wanted to give you an update. I moved bi over to the HP Mini, Elitedesk and reran the test. Testing went so well that I reconfigured all test cameras ( 6 4k cameras) to 12 FPS, vbr with max bit rate of 7120 and quality 6. I am no longer limiting live view fps and I am getting 28-35% on live view and 33-38% on play back. I was running into issue with missing frames, un-smooth video playback and live feed. For some reason the network adapter was stuck at 100 Mbps and would not negotiate gig full duplex even though it is attached to a business class L3 switch. Worked on that issue quite awhile before I decided to drop the SSD into another HP Mini I have here and all is well. NIC is no longer hitting 100% and averages 15-30%. Pretty good numbers considering all 4k feeds need to come in to the NIC and then back out to the file share its recording to. I can now move forward with installing the rest of the cameras.