Setting NTP on an NVR and seperate Cameras

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Just would like to get some info on setting up NTP on the NVR and the camera's connected to the system. I do not have a NTP server on my network, and do not have so I was wanting to use the NVR as the server. I have tried to confirure the camera's to use the NVR as their NTP server, and with DST set. I an wondering if I set the DST on the NVR do I have to not set it on the camera's? I am getting a 2 hour diffrence instead of one hour. Any thoughts would be helpful

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
I played around a bit. The NTP server should be set with DST, and the severs clients only need the timezone configured. Since I am using the NVR as the NTP server, I configured DST there, and not on the Camera's.

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Did some more testing, and bp2008 you are correct if you are pointing the camera's at a specific NTP server set DST on each camera, but if you are pointing the cameras to the NVR, and it is set with DST, you do not set it again on the cameras. i have pointed both the NVR and camera's to a router that is configured as an NTP server and that is working.

Cheers

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. I suppose it makes sense for an NVR to synchronize the DST time settings to each camera.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How well does that windows program work as an ntp? I have some problems on my Dahua based cameras along with hikvision not getting correct time but I think it's my nvr causing the problem. When I disconnect cameras from.nvr it works fine

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How well does that windows program work as an ntp?
My Hikvision cameras keep their clocks in sync no problem using the NetTime NTP server.

However when I try to have other Windows machines sync their time with it, the first attempt from any given machine always fails and subsequent sync attempts work perfectly. I think that is probably windows' fault though.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What address/port do you use on for your net time server

I think it's my empire security nvr messing it up since they work fine when I disconnect it from.the network

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My server that runs nettime is 192.168.0.123 and I use the default port, whatever that is.

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using a Cisco router as my NTP server, I have all the camera's and the NVR pointed toward this router. All the camera's have DST set. this is the only way I got things to work correctly

tokyojoe

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 2811 router that is running my ip voice phones, the cameras are connected to a 3750 switch...........all is working well now....thanks