Setting up and using IPS-HFW5231E-Z12E without a browser?

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the first time I try to adjust all the camera settings to test the Starlights. I definitely do not see ALL the camera settings and especially not the ones I need for night time. Think found exactly the same settings for "image" as with the NVR.

When IE with Dahua plugins does not work my guess is that I am doing something wrong.

Where can I find camera set up instructions for dummies?
Should the c
As tangent stated above, ANY browser that lets you connect to the cams IP address, will let you see and adjust all the settings in the cams.
Ignore the prompt to install the plugin. You just won't see the video as you are adjusting.
Use the NVR to view the video as you adjust with the browser.

Heck even a Kindle fire can be used to make camera adjustments.
Don't over think it.
Luckily there are many videos on YouTube that claim to explain in detail how to set up Dahua cameras and NVRs.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the first time I try to adjust camera settings to test the Starlights. I definitely do not see ALL the camera settings and especially not the ones I need for night time. Think found exactly the same settings for "image" as with the NVR. There is no "camera" just the "image" in the "set up" that I have.

When IE with Dahua plugins does not work my guess is that I am doing something wrong.

Where can I find camera set up instructions for dummies?
As tangent stated above, ANY browser that lets you connect to the cams IP address, will let you see and adjust all the settings in the cams.
Ignore the prompt to install the plugin. You just won't see the video as you are adjusting.
Use the NVR to view the video as you adjust with the browser.

Heck even a Kindle fire can be used to make camera adjustments.
Don't over think it.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If any browser (Linux 64) should let me see and adjust camera settings what am I doing wrong?

I have watched films and read manuals. In all of them there are "buttons" on the screen to click on that I do not have on my screen. Examples: "camera" to see and adjust the settings of a camera and "remote" to add devices. "Smart add", "Device search", "Initialize" are there but nothing happens if I click.

Is this because I have different model camera? Should I register, initialize and add devices and change IPs?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If any browser (Linux 64) should let me see and adjust camera settings what am I doing wrong?

I have watched films and read manuals. In all of them there are "buttons" on the screen to click on that I do not have on my screen. Examples: "camera" to see and adjust the settings of a camera and "remote" to add devices. "Smart add", "Device search", "Initialize" are there but nothing happens if I click.

Is this because I have different model camera? Should I register, initialize and add devices and change IPs?
Linux support is poor currently (this might improve in a few months).

You should be able to access most basic settings in the browser, but won't see the video feed. Some of the buttons in the web interface are just placeholders and don't do anything if the plugin isn't loaded.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Linux support is poor currently (this might improve in a few months).

You should be able to access most basic settings in the browser, but won't see the video feed. Some of the buttons in the web interface are just placeholders and don't do anything if the plugin isn't loaded.
My acute problem is still that the some "buttons" or whatever they are called do not appear at all. I must test the cameras and decide on returning them or not. With default settings I cannot identify a person at about 70ft DAYTIME and wonder if the cameras are something else than Starlight 2MP 64mm. I do not think that there is much interest in my problems but may try to upload some screen shots and a picture at 70ft. Thanks.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My acute problem is still that the some "buttons" or whatever they are called do not appear at all. I must test the cameras and decide on returning them or not. With default settings I cannot identify a person at about 70ft DAYTIME and wonder if the cameras are something else than Starlight 2MP 64mm. I do not think that there is much interest in my problems but may try to upload some screen shots and a picture at 70ft. Thanks.
Are you zoomed in?

On your wife's laptop, you should be able to do most anything you want to the cameras / nvr using PaleMoon and the plugin or SmartPSS. The NVR's interface doesn't directly expose every single camera setting.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you zoomed in?

On your wife's laptop, you should be able to do most anything you want to the cameras / nvr using PaleMoon and the plugin or SmartPSS. The NVR's interface doesn't directly expose every single camera setting.
Today I got absolutely nothing with Slimjet and Firefox. No access. Does for instance Hikvision offer easier set up for Linux or only set up with a NVR? Thanks.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Today I got absolutely nothing with Slimjet and Firefox. No access. Does for instance Hikvision offer easier set up for Linux or only set up with a NVR? Thanks.
I didn't suggest using either of those browsers did I?

No Hikvision isn't any better. Hanwha has some cameras that work without browser plugins. Dahua is rumored to be 3-4 months (could be slower) from a release that doesn't depend on plugins, no way of knowing which older products will get the update.

I suggest you also try the linux VMS software I mention in the other thread.

Last edited:

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't suggest using either of those browsers did I?

No Hikvision isn't any better. Hanwha has some cameras that work without browser plugins. Dahua is rumored to be 3-4 months (could be slower) from a release that doesn't depend on plugins, no way of know which older products will get the update.

I suggest you also try the linux VMS software I mention in the other thread.
I will try to upload a screen shot of what I see with Slimjet (Linux), Firefox (Linux), IE (Windows) and the NVR. The shot is from Firefox. As far as I understand there is no way to choose camera in the set up to see and change camera settings. The registration, device search, smart add and initialization possibly do not work since the cameras appear anyway.

I can try IE Palemoon 32 bit.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some NVRs have a built in PoE switch, others one have one network interface and you have to use your own PoE switch. On NVR's with a PoE switch for the cameras, the PoE ports are on their own private 10... subnet which you can't directly access. NVR's with built in PoE can also connect to cameras on the other non-poe interface (use your own poe switch).

Last year Dahua added a method for accessing camera webpages on the internal private 10.x.x.x subnet. They called it something silly like 'ipc visiting' and it uses other higher port numbers like 10080+ to access different cameras. In you screenshot above, if you click the internet explorer icon by one of the cameras I think that lets you access individual camera's webpages directly.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hikvision has it's faults certainly, but unlike dahua they at least release their GPL code.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some NVRs have a built in PoE switch, others one have one network interface and you have to use your own PoE switch. On NVR's with a PoE switch for the cameras, the PoE ports are on their own private 10... subnet which you can't directly access. NVR's with built in PoE can also connect to cameras on the other non-poe interface (use your own poe switch).

Last year Dahua added a method for accessing camera webpages on the internal private 10.x.x.x subnet. They called it something silly like 'ipc visiting' and it uses other higher port numbers like 10080+ to access different cameras. In you screenshot above, if you click the internet explorer icon by one of the cameras I think that lets you access individual camera's webpages directly.
You are correct @tangent , I just tried this with Chrome with IE tab extension installed. Clicked on the blue E under web browse, and the cam came right up.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, I just discovered that once you know the port it's using (look in the address bar, or bookmark), you can use the IP of the NVR, and the port for the camera and go directly to the cam from a browser.
Like this: http://192.168.1.51:10080/
Thanks. Maybe I am advancing with your help. The NVR is PoE (cheapest Dahua 8 channel), the router is not PoE and switch or injector I do not have yet. Since I am experimenting I connected a camera directly to Raspberry, PC and the router. Nothing happened not that I had expected it to function anyway.

I had same model NVR earlier and never managed to access my cameras. The seller insisted that the NVR works and no IE is needed while I disagreed. Full refund.

Was hoping that I have done something wrong and maybe I have. Dahua Wiki "Step by step", videos and the Dahua manuals all show screen shots that are different from what I have. Probably they have not updated the manuals and videos.

Last edited:

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are correct @tangent , I just tried this with Chrome with IE tab extension installed. Clicked on the blue E under web browse, and the cam came right up.
I was wondering about that blue E. Slimjet suggested Easy View app and there is something called Cloud Browser app also for IE in Chrome. Think that FF with Linux did not show videos but was surprised it showed anything.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my case the result with Slimjet and Easy View is a page to modify the camera. There is set up on the same page but it does not work.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With FF I get a list of the cameras but there is no plug in and no video.

For cam5 with FF I for the first time get a nice looking set up page that appears to work!

For Starlight with FF I get the same page but it does not work.

Enough of testing for today.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to get onto a windows machine, like it or not.
On that windows machine, using Internet Explorer (Not edge), connect to your NVR so you see the page below.
Then in the NVR setup page, under the column "web interface", click on the Blue E for the camera you want.