Setting up in pieces

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got another report on Nextdoor that another house was broken into, this time in my neighborhood, on my street. I think I'm going to begin piecing together a system, even through I'm not yet able to drop the money down on it all at once.

I'm going to start with two cameras, and have landed on using Hikvision. Until I can replace my old AMD Athlon 3100 XP system (and yes, I know it's an old dog), can the DS-2CD2732 itself handle storing photos and video clips for a couple of days at a time as long as I transfer once a day to my fileshare?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got another report on Nextdoor that another house was broken into, this time in my neighborhood, on my street. I think I'm going to begin piecing together a system, even through I'm not yet able to drop the money down on it all at once.

I'm going to start with two cameras, and have landed on using Hikvision. Until I can replace my old AMD Athlon 3100 XP system (and yes, I know it's an old dog), can the DS-2CD2732 itself handle storing photos and video clips for a couple of days at a time as long as I transfer once a day to my fileshare?
Yes, use a large sd card...you can probably go for longer than a few days depending on how much motion occurs.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you.
- Will the camera push to a network share?
- If not, can I map a drive to the camera and set up a sync protocol?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you.
- Will the camera push to a network share?
- If not, can I map a drive to the camera and set up a sync protocol?
Yes, but it needs to be setup correctly....I dont use this function.. @alastairstevenson can probably point you in the right direction..

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera does have the ability to record video to a network share, but with some limitations.
This is a big thread, and a bit dated now, but lots of info: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/54-Solving-some-NFS-issues-on-Hikvision-cameras/page7?highlight=nfs+share

Essentially:
In the Storage menu, you can create a connection to a network share using either NFS or SMB/CIFS file sharing protocol. There is a test button to prove connectivity and credentials.
The caveat is (and this is for the 5.2.0 and 5.2.3 firmware, I don't know if / how this has changed on 5.2.5 or even 5.3.0) that the size (not the free space) must be smaller than some ceiling between 200GB and 250GB, I don't know the exact breakpoint.
If not, after you do the required 'format' operation, where the camera creates a skeleton of folders and placeholder files, the 'initiallised' state doesn't stick.
The share size can be set by either the containing volume size or a user quota restriction.

Within that size limitation, recording works pretty well, and the playback facilities are almost like a mini NVR, if a little slow. Which you'd expect as the camera is busy doing lots of other things.