Setting up my new Dahua system and I can't see the cameras on the network

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I made an earnest attempt at figuring this out myself but I'm getting nowhere and I'm not sure which path to take.
I've got a completely new system consisting of...

NVR NVR5432
Switch PFS3110-8P-96
Cameras IPC-HFW8232E-Z

Network Layout as I understood it should be from a discussion with Fenderman.

Right now I only have the NVR, switch 2, and cam 3 wired in right now so as to get one camera setup before I continue and therein lies the problem.

When going through my router DHCP client list I can see the NVR has an address of 192.168.1.106 but nowhere can I find an IP address for the single camera I have hooked up to switch 2.

Could someone please point me in the right direction so I can get these bad boys hooked up!?

Thank you all,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I made an earnest attempt at figuring this out myself but I'm getting nowhere and I'm not sure which path to take.
I've got a completely new system consisting of...

NVR NVR5432
Switch PFS3110-8P-96
Cameras IPC-HFW8232E-Z

Network Layout as I understood it should be from a discussion with Fenderman.

Right now I only have the NVR, switch 2, and cam 3 wired in right now so as to get one camera setup before I continue and therein lies the problem.

When going through my router DHCP client list I can see the NVR has an address of 192.168.1.106 but nowhere can I find an IP address for the single camera I have hooked up to switch 2.

Could someone please point me in the right direction so I can get these bad boys hooked up!?

Thank you all,
my recommendation was to connect switch 2 to switch 1...then access point to switch 1...the default dahua nvr ip is 1.108...are you certain yours is at 106? if its a 108 and the camera is also default, then that would explain your problem.

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my recommendation was to connect switch 2 to switch 1...then access point to switch 1...the default dahua nvr ip is 1.108...are you certain yours is at 106? if its a 108 and the camera is also default, then that would explain your problem.
My bad! That isn't affecting my current situation though as I don't have that part of the circuit hooked up yet.
I may have been mistaken, I just assumed it was the NVR... Looking at my list I have something else with "desktop" in it's name using the .108 address.
Is this the NVR or is something else taking it's spot?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My bad! That isn't affecting my current situation though as I don't have that part of the circuit hooked up yet.
I may have been mistaken, I just assumed it was the NVR... Looking at my list I have something else with "desktop" in it's name using the .108 address.
Is this the NVR or is something else taking it's spot?

Can you log in using that ip? If not it's not the camera or NVR...you need to free up that ip address for the camera or NVR then change one at a time to something else..

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you log in using that ip? If not it's not the camera or NVR...you need to free up that ip address for the camera or NVR then change one at a time to something else..
That's odd... before there was a login page when I went to the 106 address. None of the default username/passwords for the NVR worked which at the time I thought was a seperate issue. Now I'm realizing that it was actually the camera I was trying to login to. Now when I go to the .106 address it takes me to a netgear page that says I'm not connected to the routers wifi network which I clearly am otherwise I couldn't send this response.

Now when I try the .108 address it takes me to a login page that looks like the same one the .106 address was taking me to earlier.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Based on your client list, the item that starts out with DESKTOP-9D9.... is most likely a Windows 10 computer.

It would help to shut off some of your hardware, full power down with the cord pulled from the outlet, to free up some of the IP addresses until you get your camera static IP's assigned.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded it and have it up but it isn't finding anything at all.
and you will never find it if your have a pc at 108....you need to disconnect that pc and flush out the ip address so its free...or better yet, go into the router, setup dhcp reservation for the pc, assign a new ip address for it..and restart everything, router, pc, camera.

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
View attachment 19688
Anything come up when you check IPV6 box?
I clicked on "setting" and then changed the start ip to something closer to their addresses and then it found them.
I changed the NVR (through the NVR interface) to 192.168.1.120 and then through the IP config tool I changed the camera to 192.168.1.121.
I could login into and see it on my NVR. I had to unplug the switch to move something as well as connect it to the router in the shop and now it blew up on me.
can't log into the camera or the nvr anymore nor can I ping them. This is frustrating to say the least.

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
and you will never find it if your have a pc at 108....you need to disconnect that pc and flush out the ip address so its free...or better yet, go into the router, setup dhcp reservation for the pc, assign a new ip address for it..and restart everything, router, pc, camera.
I changed the NVR to 192.168.1.120 and my single test camera to 192.168.1.121.
I could login to both and view the camera both through it's IP address as well as through the NVR. I then cut the line running from the house router to the shop AP so as to run it through the house switch (per your advice) and the entire thing went to hell on me. Once I unplugged it from the house switch it all came back. What am I doing wrong here?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed the NVR to 192.168.1.120 and my single test camera to 192.168.1.121.
I could login to both and view the camera both through it's IP address as well as through the NVR. I then cut the line running from the house router to the shop AP so as to run it through the house switch (per your advice) and the entire thing went to hell on me. Once I unplugged it from the house switch it all came back. What am I doing wrong here?
possibly setting up the shop access point incorrectly...it may be in router mode with dhcp enabled...remove the shop ap from the equation.

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
possibly setting up the shop access point incorrectly...it may be in router mode with dhcp enabled...remove the shop ap from the equation.
The shop is setup to be an access point. I just did it a couple weeks ago when I got the new router.
I did unplug the shop access point from the house switch and the problem persisted. Once I unplugged the house router from the house switch the problem corrected itself and I could access everything again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The shop is setup to be an access point. I just did it a couple weeks ago when I got the new router.
I did unplug the shop access point from the house switch and the problem persisted. Once I unplugged the house router from the house switch the problem corrected itself and I could access everything again.
You have something setup incorrectly

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have something setup incorrectly
I was holding my kid while he took a nap and it came to me! I already ran a line from the house switch to the house router when I was setting it up according the my network map that I though was correct.
When you corrected me and told me to connect the two switches together and then to the router, I cut the one that was already there so I could run it through the house switch, essentially plugging the house router into itself.
I'm not IT or networking guy but I recall something similar happening at my place of work and it took the network down for a while before they figured it out.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not IT or networking guy but I recall something similar happening at my place of work and it took the network down for a while before they figured it out.
It's called a network loop lol!
Well done for figuring it out.
But usually a switch would spot that and shut down the offending port to protect the rest of the network.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It's called a network loop lol!
Well done for figuring it out.
But usually a switch would spot that and shut down the offending port to protect the rest of the network.
It is like a rite of passage.

I honestly don't know if my current switches can detect and shut down a loop. Probably can't. Maybe the one managed switch can though.