Setting up new system

JLPicard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hallo everybody,
I'm setting up a new system.
The only thing I miss is the NVR, I'm here looking for good advices.
I'm from Italy and I'm pretty new in this world but I'm trying to get any information I can.
Thank you all in advance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

JLPicard

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.
Thank you very much Sebastian.
I'm going to ask my first question... ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hallo everybody,
I'm setting up a new system.
The only thing I miss is the NVR, I'm here looking for good advices.
I'm from Italy and I'm pretty new in this world but I'm trying to get any information I can.
Thank you all in advance.
Welcome @JLPicard

What cameras have you already purchased?

You want to match the OEM of the cameras with the OEM of the NVR for better results.

If you want to mix and match different OEMs then you want something like Blue Iris ( PC VMS software ) which works with IP cameras using standards.

JLPicard

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @JLPicard

What cameras have you already purchased?

You want to match the OEM of the cameras with the OEM of the NVR for better results.

If you want to mix and match different OEMs then you want something like Blue Iris ( PC VMS software ) which works with IP cameras using standards.
Hallo Mat and thank you for replying my thread.
I'm going to explain my situation in a specific thread under "NVR's, DVR's & Computers" section but it'll take some time because I'm not fluent in english!
Anyway I've bought all HikVision cameras.
I've read about Blue Iris but at the moment I would prefer a NVR.
Later I'll give a try with Blue Iris.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your cameras are Hikvision then use a hikvision POE NVR. Get an NVR that has more ports than you need. If you have 8 cameras buy a 16 camera NVR.

A word of warning, Hikvision enforces geographic region restrictions, BY this i mean that if you have hikvision cameras from china that have been hacked to English (or Italian) , They may not work with a Hikvision EU NVR.

On an NVR pay careful attention to the incoming band width. There are a lot of NVRs that look good, but may only handle two 4K (8mp) cameras, then it is out of processing power.

JLPicard

n3wb
Reaction score
If your cameras are Hikvision then use a hikvision POE NVR. Get an NVR that has more ports than you need. If you have 8 cameras buy a 16 camera NVR.

A word of warning, Hikvision enforces geographic region restrictions, BY this i mean that if you have hikvision cameras from china that have been hacked to English (or Italian) , They may not work with a Hikvision EU NVR.

On an NVR pay careful attention to the incoming band width. There are a lot of NVRs that look good, but may only handle two 4K (8mp) cameras, then it is out of processing power.
Hallo SouthernYankee and thank you for your precious advices.
I've bought all cameras from Amazon Italy and I think that they are ok but I don't know how can I be certain of their geographic ID. They have CE certification.
I will link here my thread with all information as soon as I can (I'm writing it :)).