Setup opinion: N84BG44 8MP and N42B2P 8CH NVR

Reaction score
Hoping some of you pros can help out a newb.

I am considering getting the N42B2P 8Ch NVR and 6 of the N84BG44 8MP Eyeball cams.
My street and backyard are usually well lit for a residential neighborhood so I am hoping these 8MP cams will still work good at night.

Does anyone know if these are compatible with each other? They appear to be, but I cant tell for sure.

The cameras have built in microphones.
Probably and dumb question, but does the audio, video, and power all go through the cat6 cable or do I need additional cable for the audio.
Does the NVR capture the sound or do I need a different model?

Also, can the cameras be wall mounted instead of ceiling mounted?

Thanks.
Katch

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hoping some of you pros can help out a newb.

I am considering getting the N42B2P 8Ch NVR and 6 of the N84BG44 8MP Eyeball cams.
My street and backyard are usually well lit for a residential neighborhood so I am hoping these 8MP cams will still work good at night.

Does anyone know if these are compatible with each other? They appear to be, but I cant tell for sure.

The cameras have built in microphones.
Probably and dumb question, but does the audio, video, and power all go through the cat6 cable or do I need additional cable for the audio.
Does the NVR capture the sound or do I need a different model?

Also, can the cameras be wall mounted instead of ceiling mounted?

Thanks.
Katch
They are compatible.
ALL data and power goes through the cat6.
Yes, NVR will record audio.
I suggest you purchase a 16ch version instead, just a few $$ more, and future proofs.

I suggest you click on the "wiki" at the top of the page and study the cliff notes listed there.

Reaction score
They are compatible.
ALL data and power goes through the cat6.
Yes, NVR will record audio.
I suggest you purchase a 16ch version instead, just a few $$ more, and future proofs.

I suggest you click on the "wiki" at the top of the page and study the cliff notes listed there.
any reason you recommend a 16Ch?
Its for my home install.
The house is only 2300 sq ft and 6 cameras provide enough coverage. 8 would be overkill, I cant possible see the need for more than 8.
Do the ports get used for anything else?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any reason you recommend a 16Ch?
Its for my home install.
The house is only 2300 sq ft and 6 cameras provide enough coverage. 8 would be overkill, I cant possible see the need for more than 8.
Do the ports get used for anything else?
Welcome KatchMeRacing,

1) Often once you've been using a security camera setup for awhile you notice a couple spots which can use another camera to give you better surveillance coverage.

2) At least getting a Dahua OEM NVR from Andy, the price difference between a 8 port NVR5208-8P-4KS2 and a 16 port NVR5216-16P-4KS2 was only a little, and thus well worth the extra. I would not like to be in the situation with a 8 port NVR and find myself wanting to add just one more beyond the 8 max...

Reaction score
Welcome KatchMeRacing,

1) Often once you've been using a security camera setup for awhile you notice a couple spots which can use another camera to give you better surveillance coverage.

2) At least getting a Dahua OEM NVR from Andy, the price difference between a 8 port NVR5208-8P-4KS2 and a 16 port NVR5216-16P-4KS2 was only a little, and thus well worth the extra. I would not like to be in the situation with a 8 port NVR and find myself wanting to add just one more beyond the 8 max...
Sorry I'm new, but who is Andy?
Is he an authorized Dahua seller?
Doesn't hurt to price it out.
I was currently looking on the Esentia website.

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I'm new, but who is Andy?
Is he an authorized Dahua seller?
Doesn't hurt to price it out.
I was currently looking on the Esentia website.

Thanks
Hi Katch

Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY here ) is a recommended source by numerous members here for international models of Dahua OEM equipment, often this includes models of cameras which we can not source locally. ( the Dahua OEM starlight IPC-HDW5231xx is an example )

Please see #15 for more
Looking for some advice and direction!