Shutting of indoor cameras via geo fencing or other?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking at dahuas imou ranger pro as it has an option to hide the lens at a click of a button. I also considered hooking up the indoor cameras to a separate Poe switch that is plugged into a smart plug that turns on and off via geofencing.

Just curious some of the ways people here are having their indoor cameras stop recording while they are home.

Please don't turn this into a VPN thread :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at dahuas imou ranger pro as it has an option to hide the lens at a click of a button. I also considered hooking up the indoor cameras to a separate Poe switch that is plugged into a smart plug that turns on and off via geofencing.

Just curious some of the ways people here are having their indoor cameras stop recording while they are home.

Please don't turn this into a VPN thread :)
you can manually change profiles or use geofencing to do so. You should not be port forwarding and always use a vpn, if you port forward the dahua camera then the person who hacks in can open the "privacy mask"

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you can manually change profiles or use geofencing to do so. You should not be port forwarding and always use a vpn, if you port forward the dahua camera then the person who hacks in can open the "privacy mask"
Thanks, Fenderman. Are you referring to Blueiris software when you say you can manually change profiles or use geofencing to do so? From your preveous posts I know you're not a fan but I currently use a NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Fenderman. Are you referring to Blueiris software when you say you can manually change profiles or use geofencing to do so? From your preveous posts I know you're not a fan but I currently use a NVR.
Yes sorry I thought I saw this under the blue iris section.
I don't know if this is possible with an NVR, someone with more experience with them would need to chime in. Using a smart plug with probably be the simplest and most effective way to do this. you just have to remember to turn it back on.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone reading this thread used geofencing for this to be able to comment on how well it works for them? Curious how reliable \ stable that is as there are so many dependencies like your phone's sat connectivity and accuracy to constantly know your correct location. Sometimes, for example, when I use a find my phone app, although it is in the house it may show a mile away across the river. In that scenario, walking in my door, the cameras would not turn off until the phone more accurately pinpointed the location. (I use BI but have not tried configuring a geofencing option if it has one).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone reading this thread used geofencing for this to be able to comment on how well it works for them? Curious how reliable \ stable that is as there are so many dependencies like your phone's sat connectivity and accuracy to constantly know your correct location. Sometimes, for example, when I use a find my phone app, although it is in the house it may show a mile away across the river. In that scenario, walking in my door, the cameras would not turn off until the phone more accurately pinpointed the location.
It is not very reliable, there is a YouTube tutorial in the thread how to use your Wi-Fi network connection to toggle between profiles.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe @nayr was doing this with an NVR, but he hasn't been around for a bit. I believe he was doing it through scripts/api calls tho.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe @nayr was doing this with an NVR, but he hasn't been around for a bit. I believe he was doing it through scripts/api calls tho.
Interesting. Yeah, I don't recall seeing him around lately, I wonder where he disappeared to..

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked into this subject long time ago, made a POC for myself but ditched the project when I changed from Android to iOS.

What I did:
- created an android app, which runs a simple "heartbeat" to a webserver - rooted devices required as it did some background stuff
- the webserver is next to the NVR, it analyses where my heartbeats originated from (eg through VPN tunnel or native wifi)
- webserver called API calls to NVR (ftp://ftp.wintel.fi/drivers/dahua/SDK-HTTP_ohjelmointi/DAHUA_IPC_HTTP_API_V1.00x.pdf eg 4.4.4: set video DISABLE) and even PTZ can be diverted to look elsewhere
- when heartbeats disappears, webserver reverted the original state

Worked well, until a friend of mine stool something when I was turning my back in my own house. So cams are in always-on (only 2 persons can actually see the footage, so I'm quite sure my footage will not be "abused"), but to port the app to iOS was bit too cumbursome too.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas!
Good luck,
CC

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I looked into this subject long time ago, made a POC for myself but ditched the project when I changed from Android to iOS.

What I did:
- created an android app, which runs a simple "heartbeat" to a webserver - rooted devices required as it did some background stuff
- the webserver is next to the NVR, it analyses where my heartbeats originated from (eg through VPN tunnel or native wifi)
- webserver called API calls to NVR (ftp://ftp.wintel.fi/drivers/dahua/SDK-HTTP_ohjelmointi/DAHUA_IPC_HTTP_API_V1.00x.pdf eg 4.4.4: set video DISABLE) and even PTZ can be diverted to look elsewhere
- when heartbeats disappears, webserver reverted the original state

Worked well, until a friend of mine stool something when I was turning my back in my own house. So cams are in always-on (only 2 persons can actually see the footage, so I'm quite sure my footage will not be "abused"), but to port the app to iOS was bit too cumbursome too.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas!
Good luck,
CC
Wow, thanks for this. It's a little more work than I wanted to put in currently but who knows, maybe down the road, I will give it a shot. I'm honestly only incorporating an indoor cam to watch my dog when I'm not home. In the future, I may may want to expand on the security aspect.

deepsea

n3wb
Reaction score
Would be good to have a way to disable some of the alerts (indoor cameras) when you are back.