Simple baby camera without mandatory subscriptions, cloud-use or terrible apps.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been using the Xiaomi Yi Ant camera for some years now. It's the first generation, the 720p one with build-in IR. (looks like this).
We first used it with stock firmware but that didn't work that well. The last few years I've been using it with custom firmware which gave it RTSP-stream, no data going in and out from my network etc.
It's been a great, cheap camera that I use for all sorts of things; mainly monitoring my cousins when they sleep (or rather when they don't ;)), or silly things like watching baby chicks.

My sister in law is now looking for a camera like this too. Their daughter is incredibly silent when she wakes up, not even the baby monitor picks up the sound.
So a simple IP-camera would be nice to have, to check in on her once in a while.
It doesn't have to record 24/7 or have all the bells and whistles, just a RTSP-stream and an easy way to see the recordings (triggered by some sort of motion detection).

The usual camera's people like this for kind of situation (both on this forum and other forums) are the Hikvision/Annke cube camera's, Amcrest IP2M-841 and somewhat more recently the Dahua IPC-K35A/IPC-K35S.
On other forums people are raving about the Wyze Cams, which are basically rebranded camera's with different firmware of newer versions of my camera.

But the problem is; they're recommended by people in the US. I'm in The Netherlands, so the Amcrest, Wyze Cams and Annke cube camera's are not an option, the Hikvision cube may be an option if I can get it from Aliexpress (but I'm kinda lost in which version of the Hik cube camera's I should be looking at).
The Dahua IPC-K35A is an option, since @EMPIRETECANDY sells them, but that's the IPC-K35A version that lacks Wifi. I need the IPC-K35S version with Wifi (or the older IPC-K35 version with older version of wifi?)
These IPC-K35* camera's are like regular Dahua camera's right? So with web interface, RTSP-stream, regular Android app (not that subscribtion based Imou (formerly Lechange) app) etc.?

As what's available here locally, it's either cheap camera's of questionable quality, old stuff and terrible apps, or the expensive cloud based stuff like Nest and Ring.
Personally, I don't want either.
I can find 1 camera though, that might be an option; the Foscam C2M. Yes, the app needs an account, but this camera also has an webinterface and RTSP-stream (so you should not have to use the Foscam app, just use TinyCam for live view and webinterface for potential recordings). It also has ethernet, Wifi (including 5GHz. support), RTSP- and Onvif support, SD-card slot).
But it's a really new model (first listed in September this year) and I can't find many reviews; the only ones I can find are on Amazon but they are in quite positive about this model.

The Ubiquiti G3 Flex would be a nice camera (solid brand, solid quality etc.) but can't be used on it's own, no Wifi, no SD-card slot etc.

The newer Xiaomi/Mija (whatever they're called now) camera's are quite interesting, they provide decend quality image, are dirt cheap and you don't read a lot of negative reviews on them.
However, I don't want the stuff going through Xiaomi's servers. I could use a custom firmware which would make these camera's a good solution, but I'm not very fond doing this sort of tweaking on stuff that's meant for other people. Also; I don't know how solid these camera work with custom firmware anyway.

TLDR: any recommendations for an IP camera that's affordable, does not need an account or subscribtion and does not feed the image through the company's own server.
Basically just a RTSP-stream, local recordings on a SD-card and nothing more that is available for me here in the Netherlands for an affordable price?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white for under 44 Euros here on eBay Netherlands.

I've installed 3 of them and 3 of it's lower-res, 720p cousin the IPM-721 and all have functioned with no hiccups for the past 3 years.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) . It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white for under 44 Euros here on eBay Netherlands.

I've installed 3 of them and 3 of it's lower-res, 720p cousin the IPM-721 and all have functioned with no hiccups for the past 3 years.
Great suggestion with your provided link. I did not think this one would be available for this price for us Dutchies.
Apart from the lack of 5GHz. support, this looks more interesting than both the Dahua IPC-K35S and Foscam C2M.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great suggestion with your provided link. I did not think this one would be available for this price for us Dutchies.
Apart from the lack of 5GHz. support, this looks more interesting than both the Dahua IPC-K35S and Foscam C2M.
Glad I could help.
There is a 4MP, dual band (2.4 & 5GHz) version, the IP4M-1051, for more money but I cannot attest to its performance. Not that you would require it but I believe it has all features of the IP2M-841 with the exception of having no alarm I/O.

Reaction score
I have the IP4M-1051B (black) and it's performance is stellar. Crisp, highly detailed video images. Just as reliable as earlier generation Dahua/Amcrest units. $89 USD on amazon.com.

I often recommend European users check for the FDT brand of cameras on ebay.co.uk. FDT is a European brand name for Amcrest cameras. Great prices on refurb units, which are typically returns from users incapable of configuring them properly.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@TonyR They ordered the Amcrest IP2M-841 from your Ebay link and it was delivered fast within a couple of days.
I just came back from their house and installed it for them, for the moment without SD-card.

So far it looks great. Tested it through 2.4GHz. wifi and live view seems to work fine; maybe 1 second delay.
Right after start a bit slow/sluggish live view, but it seem to level out after a while.

They're loving it already. Thanks again for the tip!

EDIT: I also setup OpenVPN on their router/smartphone so they could watch the camera remotely. They liked that too.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have the IP4M-1051B (black) and it's performance is stellar. Crisp, highly detailed video images. Just as reliable as earlier generation Dahua/Amcrest units. $89 USD on amazon.com.

I often recommend European users check for the FDT brand of cameras on ebay.co.uk. FDT is a European brand name for Amcrest cameras. Great prices on refurb units, which are typically returns from users incapable of configuring them properly.
Is the IP4M-1051B a PoE camera as well? Seems it should be, but haven't seen any of the documentation list it as PoE. Very interested in this camera but need it to be PoE (no wifi or power where its going)

Reaction score
Is the IP4M-1051B a PoE camera as well? Seems it should be, but haven't seen any of the documentation list it as PoE. Very interested in this camera but need it to be PoE (no wifi or power where its going)
Let me see what happens. I’ll be back in just a few minutes with results.

That would be a big NO unfortunately.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about using an active POE splitter that outputs 5 VDC @ 2 amps, like this?
It includes a tip for the standard 5 volt DC cam connector: 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside, center positive, outside negative.

active-POE-splitter_5VDC.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What about using an active POE splitter that outputs 5 VDC @ 2 amps, like this?
It includes a tip for the standard 5 volt DC cam connector: 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside, center positive, outside negative.

View attachment 51832
Thanks, this might just make it work for me.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I've connected their app the wrong way to the camera.
We had a birthday yesterday, and they could see live feed in the Amcrest View Pro app without VPN turned on.
(We were someplace else, not at their home)

Does the Amcrest camera/app do this for every connection you make to the app, or is there a method of connection the Amcrest View Pro app to the camera where there's no outgoing traffic.
Because now the live feed must go through Amcrests servers since they weren't using a VPN connection while still having access to the live feed.

Of course I could just block all in- and outgoing traffic to the camera in the router but still...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I've connected their app the wrong way to the camera.
We had a birthday yesterday, and they could see live feed in the Amcrest View Pro app without VPN turned on.
(We were someplace else, not at their home)

Does the Amcrest camera/app do this for every connection you make to the app, or is there a method of connection the Amcrest View Pro app to the camera where there's no outgoing traffic.
Because now the live feed must go through Amcrests servers since they weren't using a VPN connection while still having access to the live feed.

Of course I could just block all in- and outgoing traffic to the camera in the router but still...
Did you scan a QR code (or enter the cam's UID) with the phone that the app is on?

jebt2921

n3wb
Reaction score
How “bad” is it to run via P2P? Asking because that’s the only way I’ve been able to get iOS push notifications from my Hikvision cams and NVR but I have OpenVPN running on my araknis router. To your point the P2P seems to bypass OpenVPN as I don’t need OpenVPN enabled to view cams off home network. Would prefer to have OpenVPN be what enables remote viewing but also get push notifications in Hik-Connect.

I am going to add to my Control4 system so I think I can eventually get motion notifications via that platform and not have to enable P2P, but haven’t had a chance to get there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How “bad” is it to run via P2P? Asking because that’s the only way I’ve been able to get iOS push notifications from my Hikvision cams and NVR but I have OpenVPN running on my araknis router. To your point the P2P seems to bypass OpenVPN as I don’t need OpenVPN enabled to view cams off home network. Would prefer to have OpenVPN be what enables remote viewing but also get push notifications in Hik-Connect.

I am going to add to my Control4 system so I think I can eventually get motion notifications via that platform and not have to enable P2P, but haven’t had a chance to get there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very. P2P Weakness Exposes Millions of IoT Devices — Krebs on Security

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They like the Amcrest camera. So much so, they asked me for another one for the son too. Let's see if I can find another one on Ebay/Amazon...