Simple one camera setup

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone direct me to an instruction guide (video or otherwise) for a simple one camera setup (thu router) for network and remote phone access ?
IP camera technology is new to me, but I would eventually like to have a multiple camera setup with a nvr. However, for now, I want to simply setup one camera - mainly for familiarity and learning purposes if nothing else. I've ordered the bottom of the line 1.3 mp mini bullet cam DS-2CD2012-I (higher resolution would be taxing on internet usage). I have a network setup with a Cradlepoint router and a Netgear aircard with a Sprint 4Glte metered connection. I would like to simply cable the camera into the router and setup network access as well as remote android access - nothing more for now. Most of the videos I've seen are about running cables, installing cameras to house eaves, and connecting to POE switches and nvrs. I think I can setup the network viewing, but I'm not certain about the remote android access. I already have a hostname with NO-IP and have set up the DDNS in the router. I can set up the port forwarding when I get the camera, but not sure of the ports. Media,rtsp or both ? port numbers ? I've downloaded Hikvison's tools including SADP. I've also installed IVMS4500 on my phone. I've read about open port security concerns with these cameras, but my phone connection would only be with my carrier and never over public wi-fi, and the connections would be brief.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've ordered the bottom of the line 1.3 mp mini bullet cam DS-2CD2012-I (higher resolution would be taxing on internet usage).
FYI This is not correct. Resolution has not effect on internet usage, when streaming generally, you view the substream which has an adjustable bitrate.
Port forwarding these cams only requires the media port - default (8000) to be forwarded if using hikvisions ivms4500 app. Note port forwarding cameras is a security risk. The fact that its not over public wifi is irrelevant. Hackers will hit your ip address.
Also note that your lte provider likely does not provide a routeable ip address. You will not be cable to access your cameras with simple port forwarding. There are some threads that discuss this issue.

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
"Also note that your lte provider likely does not provide a routeable ip address "

What exactly does that mean ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"Also note that your lte provider likely does not provide a routeable ip address "

What exactly does that mean ?

It means that you will not have an external ip so you cannot access your camera remotely. Some providers will offer a routeable ip for a fee.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It means that you will not have an external ip so you cannot access your camera remotely. Some providers will offer a routeable ip for a fee.
AT&T charged me a flat $500 for the set up and then a small monthly fee thereafter.

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have an external IP address - it changes about every 2 to 3 weeks and my hostname is updated.

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it's open.....not sure how I could be accessing this forum if it wasn't. I think it's best to let my request for assistance on the camera setup issue just go away and I'll stumble around on my own. There are instances when forum help can be good,
but most responses rarely address the original questions.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's open.....not sure how I could be accessing this forum if it wasn't.
Though not stated - in the context of your question it doesn't really need to be - @Q2U was asking about open inbound, not outbound.

I've read about open port security concerns with these cameras, but my phone connection would only be with my carrier and never over public wi-fi, and the connections would be brief.
Have another careful read.
If you 'open a port' to allow inbound access, the whole internet world can access the target device, at any time.
It matters not whether you also access it, it's permanently open.

From what I recall, IVMS4500 requires the RTSP port (554) and the media port (8000) for remote access.
Check what ports that your router has allowed inbound access to by https://www.grc.com/shieldsup or canyouseeme.org

Last edited by a moderator:

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, open ports are risky. Public IP addresses are risky. Crossing the street is risky. What's the alternative - avoid remote access and stay off the internet ? Seems risks are inherent in every endeavor these days. Even if they hijacked my open ports, wouldn't the password still be necessary to acquire access to the camera ? And, what's worst case scenario ? There are no sensitive data files anywhere on my network, and I have current image backups of all computers. Maybe trash the camera, but what would be the incentive there - and,I could live with that. I'll just have to weigh my need for remote access against the associated security risk, and then decide.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the alternative - avoid remote access and stay off the internet ?
No, that's risk averse.
Risk managed would be a secure remote access facility such as a VPN. 'Virtual Private Network'
Previously the preserve of businesses or largish organisations, now readily available to all.
There are no sensitive data files anywhere on my network
So you don't do internet banking, check your credit card transactions, buy items from on-line stores, use email, or access anything that requires userIDs and passwords.
Nothing to worry about then, go for it.

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
VPN ? I know large companies use them, but didn't realize that individuals were setting them up. I like the idea , but wouldn't know where to begin. I've seen some commercial VPN server sites that offer their services for a fee.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VPN ? I know large companies use them, but didn't realize that individuals were setting them up. I like the idea , but wouldn't know where to begin. I've seen some commercial VPN server sites that offer their services for a fee.
thcose are just to hide your identity when going online.

if you set up your own VPN normally on your router, or you can run it on a synology nas for example if you have that, there are many options.

the point to run your own VPN at home is to be able to connect to it from anywhere outside and access your home network as if you where at home. so you will receive your local lan IP , and the connecting is one of the easiest ways to make a secure connection. you do not need to open any ports or anything.

if you have a asus or Linksys or some other kind of hackable router you can install the VPN server there pretty easy and straight forward.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's open.....not sure how I could be accessing this forum if it wasn't. I think it's best to let my request for assistance on the camera setup issue just go away and I'll stumble around on my own. There are instances when forum help can be good,
but most responses rarely address the original questions.
This is the kind of dumb response that make folks not want to help. ALL your initial questions have been answer then additional advice and input was provided. Its it clear from your responses that you have NO clue about networking. I think its best if you just "go away"..All I see is an ungrateful prick. Good luck stumbling around.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the kind of dumb response that make folks not want to help. ALL your initial questions have been answer then additional advice and input was provided. Its it clear from your responses that you have NO clue about networking. I think its best if you just "go away"..All I see is an ungrateful prick. Good luck stumbling around.
Fenderman, you're a miserable bastid...but thanks for saying what I didn't have the balls to say. boot.gif

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
Gee, I must have ruffled some feathers....... there's some really compassionate people on here....thanks for your complimentary manner of getting your point across.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gee, I must have ruffled some feathers....... there's some really compassionate people on here....thanks for your complimentary manner of getting your point across.
Again, acting like a complete asshole. Several folks helped you out, nevertheless you chose to respond in a passive aggressive manner. Folks on this forum dont tolerate ungrateful jackasses.