Skipping/Choppy Video, Skipping/Choppy Audio, 27 Cams, i7-8700 3.2GHz, 16GB Ram

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should be recording continuously on all cameras.
Notice the time skip, this is caused having two motion events. You need to work on your motion detection settings for that camera.
If I record continuously on all cameras, wouldn’t that eat up all my storage space?
I have been messing with the settings and I just cannot figure it out to make it work properly, wouldn’t you mind taking a look at my settings if I take screen shots? What menus should I take a screenshot of?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I record 13cameras, both 2 and 4 MP on a small 4 TB disk drive and have 8 days of coverage. A 4 TB drive is less than $99.00 . a 12 TB drive is under $300.00. Motion detection is not 100% accurate. Buy bigger disk and record continuously. What is the cost going to be when you miss something important. Such as who hit who in the parking lot.

Tuning motion detection parameters takes time. It is a lot of trial and error.

How many cameras?
what make and model ?
Who long do you need to keep the data?

I do not feel comfortable logging into someone machine. Also i am unfamiliar with reolink cameras.

Last edited:

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have TB's worth of space, but I need at least a years worth of data on a least 10 of the 26 cameras so continues recording would not work unfortunately. :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008

So the system is running 100x better... There is no stuttering/choppiness or audio issues... What I do notice is the video picks up motion late. Here is an example. Also, sometimes it is recording and then the people/interaction disappears.... In the clip below, the car appears out of nowhere and is already pulling into the parking spot.

The late recording is a direct result of reolinks deceptive practice of claiming their cameras are compatible with blue iris when they are not. This is because the cameras dont allow you to set an iframe interval. They are likely dynamic but we can be certain that at some point when you took your screenshot you iframe interval was 5x the frame rate and that is why the keyframe shows as 0.2. This should be 1 or at the very least .5. Blue iris can only begin recording on a new iframe therefore you will miss up to 5 seconds of video. You will need to set your pretrigger to at least 8 seconds or so.
Your break time needs to be increased to continue recording when there is minimal movement and you likely need to increase your sensitivity and lower your make time to assure it gets triggered by any movement.

podf

n3wb
Reaction score
I would go down to 15 fps to save on the bitrate

Recording h264 with a 3.7MP bitrate will fill your 5TB system in a matter of hours. About 20 hours in your case approximately.

Reolink cams have a 640x480 "fluent mode" as they call which can be used for continuous recording. With your current setup I cannot see any way out of the 480p continuous recording.

BI can also make use of your GPU for video decoding in particular, this will save precious CPU cycle that could be used for running detection algorithms.

Concerning the Windows system is concerned, you must debloat it. Sophia debloating script is continuously updated and will let you achieve a clean system easily.

The Cisco switch will give you the final verdict concerning your networking usage. A few show interfaces type number will let you know in detail of the current status of each port. If needed, running an etherchannel on both 1Gbps links should answer the bw needs.
It seems that Windows 10 pro support link aggregation via a feature called 'Network Teaming'. Feel free to experiment here and let us know

Finally your switch supports QOS, which is a killer honestly. Here you'll mark frames (802.1p CoS) depending on the kinds of critical traffic your network is running.
The CoS markings are explained here QoS Configuration through CoS Trust Mode on 200/300 Series Managed Switches
The egress queue congestion management tools are explained here Configuration of Quality of Service (QoS) Queue on 200/300 Series Managed Switches

With this you got all the tools, needed to have a crystal clear setup

Good luck

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would go down to 15 fps to save on the bitrate

Recording h264 with a 3.7MP bitrate will fill your 5TB system in a matter of hours. About 20 hours in your case approximately.

Reolink cams have a 640x480 "fluent mode" as they call which can be used for continuous recording. With your current setup I cannot see any way out of the 480p continuous recording.

BI can also make use of your GPU for video decoding in particular, this will save precious CPU cycle that could be used for running detection algorithms.

Concerning the Windows system is concerned, you must debloat it. Sophia debloating script is continuously updated and will let you achieve a clean system easily.

The Cisco switch will give you the final verdict concerning your networking usage. A few show interfaces type number will let you know in detail of the current status of each port. If needed, running an etherchannel on both 1Gbps links should answer the bw needs.
It seems that Windows 10 pro support link aggregation via a feature called 'Network Teaming'. Feel free to experiment here and let us know

Finally your switch supports QOS, which is a killer honestly. Here you'll mark frames (802.1p CoS) depending on the kinds of critical traffic your network is running.
The CoS markings are explained here QoS Configuration through CoS Trust Mode on 200/300 Series Managed Switches
The egress queue congestion management tools are explained here Configuration of Quality of Service (QoS) Queue on 200/300 Series Managed Switches

With this you got all the tools, needed to have a crystal clear setup

Good luck
Wow. Going to read up on all of this.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I record continuous a 5.1 MP camera at 15 fps, with H.264. it use 2.3 GB per hour per camera So that is about 1740 hours or 72 days on a 4TB drive for one camera.

To record on motion do as @fenderman said.
Test do not guess. Each system is different so test.