Small form factor Starlight?

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am looking for a DaHua starlight camera that has the same form factor as the HFW1320S. Is there such a critter?

Thanks,

Wayne

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a DaHua starlight camera that has the same form factor as the HFW1320S. Is there such a critter?

Thanks,

Wayne
yes, IPC-HFW4231S | Dahua Technology

you might also want to consider the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology which is smaller than the 5231 (Dimensions Φ106mm×93.7mm (4.17”×3.69”)) and is a better overall camera.

Depending on where you're putting the camera there are some other styles you may want to consider some other styles like the wedge or lite mini ptz.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
avoid bullets unless you enjoy clearing spider webs daily...

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a spider who kept dropping down in front of mine to make use of the IR. I sprayed a long lasting poison on the overhang above the camera, haven't had a problem since.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a spider who kept dropping down in front of mine to make use of the IR. I sprayed a long lasting poison on the overhang above the camera, haven't had a problem since.
that stuff is temporary it will come back in the warm weather or when the poison weakens or is washed off...bullets are a poor design...

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, but It last 6 months and I've just been through summer here (worst time of year for them where I am). I guess it is also going to depend somewhat on where you live.

Just in general, spiders aren't much of problem here at all, unlike our mates across the sea in Australia for instance, who are quite happy to have spiders the size of dinner plates scuttling around their houses banging into doors - because they are harmless and keep all the poisonous ones out :eek:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but It last 6 months and I've just been through summer here (worst time of year for them where I am). I guess it is also going to depend somewhat on where you live.

Just in general, spiders aren't much of problem here at all, unlike our mates across the sea in Australia for instance, who are quite happy to have spiders the size of dinner plates scuttling around their houses banging into doors - because they are harmless and keep all the poisonous ones out :eek:
the op does not live in NZ....even every six months is insane - going around to all your cams....regardless, its a poor design...why anyone would specifically want a bullet is beyond me, it provides no benefit...

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my one attached at a 45 degree angle to the soffit under the gable of my roof. I thought it was the only way to get the angle and distance away from the side of the roof I needed in this particular mounting situation. I have a PTZ at the other end of my house and still have the odd spider drop off the gable in front of it. I never have webs made on the cameras themselves, the smart little buggers just drop in front of them to use the IR lights, so I don't see how the differing form factors of the camera would help in this particular situation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have my one attached at a 45 degree angle to the soffit under the gable of my roof. I thought it was the only way to get the angle and distance away from the side of the roof I needed in this particular mounting situation. I have a PTZ at the other end of my house and still have the odd spider drop off the gable in front of it. I never have webs made on the cameras themselves, the smart little buggers just drop in front of them to use the IR lights, so I don't see how the differing form factors of the camera would help in this particular situation.
you can do this with a turret...bullets are an inferior design in all aspects...

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you can do this with a turret...bullets are an inferior design in all aspects...
Okay, so just to double check, I've gone and taken a photo of it. Now I only installed this a few months ago, so I am not going to be replacing it anytime soon, but it would be good to know if an eyeball camera can do the same thing for future reference when I do replace it.

The glare off the white paint is considerable both day and night (for IR), so needs to be able to angle away from it whilst still looking down my driveway to the street (you saw where it was looking in that other 8MP thread).

CrusaderNZ

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I guess the other reason to go with this form factor is that they are more overt, if you want the added physical deterrence - I mean there must be a reason why they are still making this form factor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean there must be a reason why they are still making this form factor.
for folks who just want what they had before or dont know the difference...and for cams with really long lenses and/or strong ir where they need more room.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am interested in the mini bullets to replace two or three that I already have, hopefully using the same mounts so I could just remove and replace. They are located in areas that the smaller size is beneficial to me, but that is a personal preference. But one is stuck back into a small space where I would have difficulty mounting anything else. For turrets (eyeballs), domes, ptz's, and the larger bullets (OK ANY other style), I would have to make new mounts and I am too [bleep] lazy to do it. :)

I am also interested in the HDW4231EM (or similar) for a different view from another location. And I am also wanting a new toy in the form of the PTZ1A225U, but finding the money for that one is going to be the hard part.

One more question though. Is it true that STARVIS=STARLIGHT?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One more question though. Is it true that STARVIS=STARLIGHT?
Hi Zeddog,

Dahua OEM Starlight cameras are a subset of Dahua OEM cameras using the Starvis chip. That is: Not all Dahua OEM cameras using the Starvis chips are "starlights".

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would like to see a starlight turret / eyeball form factor in a Z12 motorized zoom some day and maybe a fixed lens longer than 6mm (lower cost)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not all Dahua OEM cameras using the Starvis chips are "starlights".
Also dahua has recently applied the term to some cameras without Sony Starvis sensors.

Other Manufactures and unscrupulous ebay/ali sellers use the term to describe models that have nothing to do with dahua's starlight line.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Based on some comments I thought I had read here, I thought that a Starlight camera was a Starvis sensor coupled with a fast lens. A consumer might think that the Starvis sensor alone would produce Starlight quality.