Smartening up the Lorex LNB8005C 8MP mini bullet.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I have verified my stock Lorex E1891AB can take the older '10.R' firmware linked by Ubaid from the web UI, with no noticeable effect.
This is as expected for loading the SAME firmware that's already on many of these and will be very useful to recover such units as needed. Thanx again!

I have not yet tried the newer '18R' firmware. it has the proper HWID in the check.img file, and the install file does not appear to update the bootloader, tho there is a boot.img in the .bin...
Will play with that a bit more carefully than the 'big hammer' of web UI update...

At least we now have some way to recover these to stock Lorex Firmware if needed, as we explore. Yea!

Ubaid Masood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have verified my stock Lorex E1891AB can take the older '10.R' firmware linked by Ubaid from the web UI, with no noticeable effect.
This is as expected for loading the SAME firmware that's already on many of these and will be very useful to recover such units as needed. Thanx again!

I have not yet tried the newer '18R' firmware. it has the proper HWID in the check.img file, and the install file does not appear to update the bootloader, tho there is a boot.img in the .bin...
Will play with that a bit more carefully than the 'big hammer' of web UI update...

At least we now have some way to recover these to stock Lorex Firmware if needed, as we explore. Yea!
After upgrade, just clear the browser cache and history also

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
for the lnb8111, first get the hwid in your browser like so: http://<IP ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo

that will determine if the same FW used for the lnb8005c will work or somethign else is needed for best results...

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
I
for the lnb8111, first get the hwid in your browser like so: http://<IP ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo

that will determine if the same FW used for the lnb8005c will work or somethign else is needed for best results...
got the following:

serialNumber=NDXXXXXXXXXXXXX
deviceType=LNB8111
hardwareVersion=1.00

I replaced the actual serial number with Xs of course.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
first get the hwid in your browser like so: http://<IP ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo
I just tried that on the LNB8005-C and got this :
Code:
appAutoStart=true
deviceType=IPC-HFW4830E-S
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=S3LM
serialNumber=ND021711062399
updateSerial=IPC-HFW4830EP-S
updateSerialCloudUpgrade=IPC-HFW4830EP-S:01:02:03:50:21:00:01:00:00:00:04:2D0:00:00:00:00:00:01:00:00:200
*edit But it's now got the Dahua firmware on it, so probably a better response. *

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
right. what's the 'updateSerial' value for the LNB8111? should start with "IPC-HFW" for a bullet-type unit. that's what determines the 'dahua-equivalent'...

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
right. what's the 'updateSerial' value for the LNB8111? should start with "IPC-HFW" for a bullet-type unit. that's what determines the 'dahua-equivalent'...

Everything I posted in the response was what showed up. I copy and pasted directly and just edited out the serial numbers.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
that's interesting. i guess they did a little tidying up (hiding such stuff) in the newer units...

maybe we can glean something from the following: .../cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSoftwareVersion

failing that, you'd need to get console access to the boot loader environment and print out environment variables, a bit more involved...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A long shot in terms of whether more info appears - but maybe worth seeing what ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net) finds.
Though I did find that ONVIF was a bit broken on the original Lorex firmware.

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
that's interesting. i guess they did a little tidying up (hiding such stuff) in the newer units...

maybe we can glean something from the following: .../cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSoftwareVersion

failing that, you'd need to get console access to the boot loader environment and print out environment variables, a bit more involved...
This is what I get

version=2.400.LR00.17.R
BuildDate=2017-07-20

There has never been a firmware update for these cameras from lorex.

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
A long shot in terms of whether more info appears - but maybe worth seeing what ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net) finds.
Though I did find that ONVIF was a bit broken on the original Lorex firmware.
This is above my knowledge base :)

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score

This is what I can see when I log into the camera from the web and click on the "Version" tab

Device Type LNB8111

Software Version 00017

Build Date 2017-07-20

WEB Version 3.2.1.358605

ONVIF Version 2.42

S/N NDXXXXXXXXXXXX

Copyright 2017,All Rights Reserved.

(XXXXXXXXX was used instead of the actual serial #s)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This is above my knowledge base
It's a Windows app, that after installation when you start it will automatically find any ONVIF devices on the same LAN as the PC.
When given some login credentials, at the top left of the window, it shows lots of info about the device. If ONVIF is properly implemented ...

The area of interest would be the Identification page.

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a Windows app, that after installation when you start it will automatically find any ONVIF devices on the same LAN as the PC.
When given some login credentials, at the top left of the window, it shows lots of info about the device. If ONVIF is properly implemented ...

The area of interest would be the Identification page.

Ok...was able to find onvif device manager. All the LNB8111B are hooked directly to the NVR so its not so easy getting the ONVIF info directly. I will have to hook up one to the switch later to access it directly.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
fwiw, ODM doesn't work on my stock LNB8005c... same ONVIF settings and ports configured as my E1891ab, that does work... don't have an lnb8111...

we need someone with access to their LNB8111 bootloader environment (via serial or windows console app ala Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP)

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score

After hooking up the LNB8111 to a switch and accessing it directly, I'm still only getting this:

serialNumber=NDxxxxxxxxxxx
deviceType=LNB8111
hardwareVersion=1.00

And running ONVIF Device Manager gets me basically the same as when I log into the camera and select "version" tab.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
as i mentioned, someone will need to get at the bootloader. this can be done by getting access to the serial console (open up and interafce with UART adapter) or by setting up the networking on your PC such that the cam tries to fetch an 'update' from it at startup. this update is crafted to issue commands to the bootloader, typically for firmware loads, but can also simply print help commands or dump environment variables... details can be found here:
Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP
safe as long you don't run any update commands (run da, etc) from the command file... ie just 'help' and 'printenv', etc...

what is it you are trying to improve/achieve with the lnb81111?

Last edited: