SmartPSS on macOS Catalina

myk3le

n3wb
Reaction score
I have osx Big Sur 11.2.1. I have done a clean install of Big Sur few months ago ad I resolved many bugs and lag of osx. Smart pss 2.03.5 isn't perfect but for me is more usable then the previous version on MacBook Pro 15 2017 and on macbook 12 retina 1.1 ghz (I have done clean install of Big Sur on each Mac).

Ig Roy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have osx Big Sur 11.2.1. I have done a clean install of Big Sur few months ago ad I resolved many bugs and lag of osx. Smart pss 2.03.5 isn't perfect but for me is more usable then the previous version on MacBook Pro 15 2017 and on macbook 12 retina 1.1 ghz (I have done clean install of Big Sur on each Mac).
"More usable" of a completely unusable version is still not very usable :). There is no single reason in the world to wait for 30 seconds for every GUI reaction in the Live view!
I don't believe there is anything to do with a clean OS install (a waste of time), this is solely the Dahua software quality. A bad and unacceptable quality.

Reaction score
"More usable" of a completely unusable version is still not very usable :). There is no single reason in the world to wait for 30 seconds for every GUI reaction in the Live view!
I don't believe there is anything to do with a clean OS install (a waste of time), this is solely the Dahua software quality. A bad and unacceptable quality.
Couldn't agree more. We've waited for well over a year for an update, and this is what they provide? It's patently obvious that either they don't care or have no clue how to write software for the Mac.

Reaction score
Really am giving up hope for it to be fully functional like it used to be on Mac Yosemite etc.. The latest update does run a tiny bit better but the whole UI still freezes a bit much and the cams are all laggy like before. Such a shame.

Nikolaos

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help where to find the latest SmartPss for mac OS somthneg newer tha 2.03.0

Thank You!

Kewllane

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't read through all 9 pages but I was just messing around with this program and right clicked on the app in my Applications. Then went to "Get Info". I checked the box that says "Open in Low Resolution". Closed SmartPSS and reopened it.

It's working a lot better now.

Just wanted to let everyone know a tip that has seemed to work for me until they get a stable version out. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Ig Roy

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't read through all 9 pages but I was just messing around with this program and right clicked on the app in my Applications. Then went to "Get Info". I checked the box that says "Open in Low Resolution". Closed SmartPSS and reopened it.

Just wanted to let everyone know a tip that has seemed to work for me until they get a stable version out. Sorry if this has already been posted.
Thank you very much, Kewllane! Your solution has worked for me, too.
No, it hasn't been posted and definitely returns the SmartPSS back to the picture!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

With any given computer (mac or pc), if you are viewing multiple hi res streams, at some point its going to choke.

I'm using older pc versions but there is a setting called "Self Adaptive Stream Type under settings that opens all cameras in low-res. It also allows you when double clicking (pc) to open an individual stream in Hi res. Double click again and it goes back to its place in the grid and adapts back to the low res stream.

display.jpg
Hi-Res-open.jpg

Kewllane

n3wb
Reaction score
With any given computer (mac or pc), if you are viewing multiple hi res streams, at some point its going to choke.

I'm using older pc versions but there is a setting called "Self Adaptive Stream Type under settings that opens all cameras in low-res. It also allows you when double clicking (pc) to open an individual stream in Hi res. Double click again and it goes back to its place in the grid and adapts back to the low res stream.

View attachment 86749
View attachment 86750
Right, but that't not the issue for Mac users.

The app itself chokes before you even pull up a stream. Just the app being open is slow and choppy on a Mac.

Enabling the application to open in "Low Resolution" has made that lagginess a lot better on the Mac, because the app itself isn't trying to open in a high resolution. The cameras still look the same whether the app is in high or low resolution.

It has nothing to do with the cameras that are pulled up on a Mac because no cameras are pulled up when you open the application.

chicoDaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
To me, this version is faulty. Seems like the yellow component is not processed in the image. Have a look at the attached screenshots ( good = old version, bad = this version ).
Wow, yes, it displays colors all wrong. My red truck, which displays correctly as red in all previous SmartPSS versions, shows up as brilliant MAGENTA, or bright purple (like a kiddie toy), very very different than red...and grass is so green looks like it might on an acid trip...makes this version unusable...sigh...

Reaction score
Hi - newbie here. Been lurking for a long time; it was ipcamtalk which enabled me to set up my first IPC - Hikvision - onto a Mac and using a FritzBox NAS some years ago - thanks to all! With this camera using outdated NPAPI I have replaced it with a Dahua, and have successfully set it up on the FritzBox NAS using Chrome on Big Sur. I can run SmartPSS on Catalina and have a working system. I have not been able to install SmartPSS on Big Sur 11.5.2. I have tried 64bit downloads from CNet, Oprogramowanie and UK Dahua (as recommended in this topic) but none will launch after the compulsory set password and security questions. The App simply doesn't open. When trying again, the password setting screen starts again. I read that others have managed to open and use SmartPSS on Big Sur, so can anyone advise what I need to do? Many thanks

Reaction score
Resolved - but not solved. Following the removal of the Hikvision I have now updated a MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac Mini to Big Sur 11.5.2 - and all work with SmartPSS. My one and only original Big Sur was on the latest 2020 MacBook Air with the apple M1 chip which was the unit I was trying to use. I now conclude that it is the SmartPSS and Apple M1 chip combination which are not compatible. On every attempted launch it sends a failed to launch bug report to Apple. If anyone can find a workaround with this combination please advise!
Meanwhile the only residual issue I have using Macs with Big Sur is as reported in this thread - red coloured brickwork appears blue, and grey looks distinctly pink. Vehicle brake lights look very unusual in blue.

jeremybme

n3wb
Reaction score
Why does this latest version of PSS look so dim.. everything is so dark compared to the older version which looks more realistic in picture.

Stardog69

n3wb
Reaction score
Personally I've found that upgrading to OS Monterrey has solved all my issues, opens every time and runs as it should, this on a Mac mini M1 chip.

jeremybme

n3wb
Reaction score
after upgrading to MacOS monterey neither the new version of PSS or the older version would load. I had to reinstall both versions, they both open now, the previous version 2.03.0 from 2019 creates a crash report every time i close it. The newer version from this year 2.03.5 works without any crashes. but the picture is dark, darker than it should be and darker than the previous version. Also of note the option to open in low resolution mode disappeared with the upgrade to Monterey. anyone know how to fix the pic in the new version? i tried increasing the brightness but it washes out the picture before it ever looks right.