smartvue SVC-B-3 - bought for cheap on ebay

poohatncsu

n3wb
Reaction score
Recently bought what was being sold as a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I. It was cheap and worth a try.

got it hooked up pretty quickly and with ease, and it turned out to be a smartvue SVC-B-3 camera running V5.1.2 build 140728. The configuration screen looks just like a Hikvision, so this much be a re-branded Hikvision camera (w/ blank/metal casing on the outside). Anyone have any experience with this one before, any reason i couldn't use it the same way as a Hikvision? Any issue with upgrading to a Hikvision OEM firmware anyone can think of?

paylesspizzaman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought one of those cams as well, probably from the same guy. I was a little disappointed when I hooked it up and it came up as SmartVue and not Hikvision, but thought it really didn't matter. It wasn't until I went through trying to setup all the software that I realized for the different streams there is "Live View" "Thumbnail" and "Mobile". What really sucks though, is that "Thumbnail" and "Mobile" can only be set to 4 frames per second. I use 20fps on all my other Hikvision cams. So, I too am interested in getting the OEM Hikvision firmware onto the smartvue. If I figure out how to do it, I will let you know. It would be cool if you would don the same for me. When I bought cam, they were listed for $80 and he took my offer of $65. I later went back to look at the listing, and he reduced the price to $65. What did you actually pay?

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a new NVR and thought what the hell and bought 5 of them from this guy. I am pretty sure they are rebranded HIKvisions, just not sure which model to try reflashing the software with. Did you also notice the revits are still in the mounting holes, now they have to be drilled out, guessing it came from some large place that closed down.

Let me know if you find which firmware or if it can be...

Thanks,

Dil

paylesspizzaman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would have to look again to be sure, but I don't think mine had rivets in the mounting holes. I tried "upgrading" to the latest Hikvision ds-2cd2032 firmware, by logging into the camera. It immediately failed to update though. I think maybe I have to use the tftp method to flash it, but it looks a little complicated. I haven't decided if I want to go ahead with that yet. Did the NVR come from the same guy or is it actually an official Hikvision? Do the Smartvue cams function with an offical Hikvision NVR? I read the cracked/reflashed Hikvision chinese cams don't work with american Hikvision NVRs, region blocked I guess. I use FreeNAS for my NVR, so that doesn't affect me. FreeNAS has been flawless with the cams for 6 months now. Not sure what a Hikvision NVR costs, but FreeNAS might be a cost effective universal alternative that can be used for more than just the cams.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use FreeNAS for my NVR, so that doesn't affect me. FreeNAS has been flawless with the cams for 6 months now. Not sure what a Hikvision NVR costs, but FreeNAS might be a cost effective universal alternative that can be used for more than just the cams.
Do you mean you just use FreeNAS as a storage device for video, or did you find a plugin that actually does video management software (VMS) tasks like organizing video and facilitating playback and export?

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cameras I got need to be unlocked and then I did a reset back to default. Just use the unlock tool, it works great. Just do a Google search for Hikvision camera unlock tool, its on another website, you paste in your unit serial number in the SADPtool, or iVMS apps.

I have a 7608 and the live view works great, havent got far enough to record yet

Dil

poohatncsu

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now on blue iris, it works great. I've not tried to flash, but i may do that if someone else gets it to work and there is any real benefit for me to do so. I actually got mine for $45, he accepted the offer. When i tried to get more, he wouldn't go that low so i suspect he was getting a lot of good offers.

paylesspizzaman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use FreeNAS just as a network storage device. Other than for playback, I don't really see a need for any other features besides what is built into the cams. I considered looking into Blue Iris, but from what little I read, it sounds CPU/Power intensive. I really am trying to stay low power on my security. What all does the Hikvision NVR do?

paylesspizzaman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
$1000 for an NVR seems insane to me. I have $170 in my FreeNAS box, NOT including hard drives of course. I am running 4 drives (with room for 8) with raid Z1 and it consumes ~35W from the wall.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
$1000 for an NVR seems insane to me. I have $170 in my FreeNAS box, NOT including hard drives of course. I am running 4 drives (with room for 8) with raid Z1 and it consumes ~35W from the wall.
That is not regular pricing.. Nvrs are generally 100 to 500...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

paylesspizzaman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So is that Smart Vue one special or something? I saw it is a dual bay that is hot swap with 1TB of storage. Doesn't sound special to me.

Dilbertic

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got all 5 of mine for 53.00 each, fig that was fair with free shipping, maybe we can ask one of the Tech support people at HIKvision, if the camera is up-gradable.

Dil

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the smartvue cameras are just OEM branded Hikvision 2032 cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So is that Smart Vue one special or something? I saw it is a dual bay that is hot swap with 1TB of storage. Doesn't sound special to me.
Hikvision and dahua have vertical designs like that. They are actually cheaper than the horizontal nvr's....the benefit is they use larger fans so they are much quieter.

poohatncsu

n3wb
Reaction score
What extra benefit would upgrading these provide us?
Also, whats the other wire/connector for besides the LAN port?

paylesspizzaman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The other plug if for a 12vdc power supply if you choose to use that instead of power over ethernet. So far the options that are missing is the ability to change the frame rate and resolution on the sub-streams. Another problem I found today is that there is no way to access the sub-streams via the IP Webcam app. With the regular Hikvisions if you don't put in a channel number in IP Webcam, you get the low resolution sub-stream, which is excellent for viewing remotely. If you put in channel 1 Then you get the full main channel resolution. With the smartvue you have to put in channel 1 or you get no stream at all (I tried channels 0, 2, and 3, no feed) That limits me to the high resolution, high bandwidth stream effectively making it impossible for me to view it on the go.

paylesspizzaman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post.
Okay, I got the official Hikvision Firmware installed on my Smartvue cam from ebay. It is actually easier than my guide makes it sound. I used the official Hikvision Auto Updater TFTP application from: http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1336
The official Hikvision Auto Updater directions are at: http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/File/201433116851896.pdf
My directions are as follows:
1. Find a 12Vdc wall adapter and a Gigabit compatible (all 8 wires connected inside plugs) CROSSOVER (NOT regular straight through) CAT5 Ethernet cable. A crossover cable is wired the T-568A standard at one end and the T-568B standard at the other end. It is meant connect two devices DIRECTLY together without a router or switch in between.
2. Create “new folder” at root of C drive on computer
3. Rename “new folder” to “TFTPAuto”
4. Download TFTP Auto Updater from http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1336
5. Extract downloaded files to “TFTPAuto” that I created in step 2
6. Download camera firmware from the first post here https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1078-Firmware-5-2-0-in-English
7. Copy downloaded camera firmware into the “Auto Update” folder that is in your “TFTPAuto” folder
8. Rename “Raptor_2_520_f_10_14_c.dav” to “digicap.dav”
9. Go into “network and sharing” in the control panel of my windows computer.
10. Click “Change Adapter Settings”.
11. Right click on “Local Area Connection”.
12. Click “Properties” from the popup.
13. Click “Internet Protocol Version 4” so it is highlighted.
14. Click the button that says “Properties”.
15. Select the box that says “Use the following IP address”.
16. Enter 192 0 0 128 into the IP address boxes.
17. Click in the “Subnet Mask” box, it should auto fill with 255 255 255 0. If it doesn’t auto fill, enter 255 255 255 0 into the boxes. Leave the DNS stuff alone/blank.
18. Click “Okay”.
19. Close all the open windows.
20. I had to reboot my computer before the network setting would take effect. I would recommend you do the same.
21. Plug camera directly into computer using Gigabit compatible (all 8 wires connected inside plugs) CROSSOVER(NOT regular straight through) CAT5 Ethernet cable. Also, plug in the cameras 12Vdc power adapter
22. Right click tftpserv file that says application next to it. It is in the “Auto Update” folder that is in your “TFTPAuto” folder
23. Click allow when Windows Firewall pops up.
24. Thinking maybe Windows firewall interfered with the TFTP program, I closed the program and launched it again by right clicking tftpserv file that says application next to it. It is in the “Auto Update” folder that is in your “TFTPAuto” folder. This time windows firewall will NOT pop up.
25. In the TFTP application you should see it say “TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized” in a box.
26. Unplug the power cord to the camera for a second or two and plug it back in.
27. In a few seconds, the TFTP application should say “device[192.0.0.64] test tftp server”. Note, I had trouble here, I had to power cycle the camera and wait several times before it worked.
28. Within about 30 seconds, the TFTP application should say “Connect client[192.0.0.64] success”.
29. Next the TFTP application will say “Start file[C:\TFTPAuto\Auto Update\digicap.dav]".
30. It can take up to 5 minutes to transfer the file (mine took maybe 30 seconds). When transfer is complete the TFTP application will say “Completed file[C:\TFTPAuto\Auto Update\digicap.dav] transmitted". And also, “Device[192.0.0.64] system update completed!”.
31. Now you can power cycle the camera and connect it to your network however you would if it were a new camera. Note, ALL settings in the camera are set to factory default, including IP address and password. Also, don’t forget that the CAT5 cable you were just using is a CROSSOVER cable.