SMTP or SSL Email Notification Provider Solution? circa 5.3.3 5.2.5

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
100% over 7 or 8 R0 cameras.
Added another one to the collection.
Bricked CN 2032F-IS (attempted 5.4.5 FW update), brick-fix tool applied to undo the anti-rollback, @whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader to bring back to life, mtdblock6 extract / fix-up / put back, FW upgrade in stages all the way to 5.4.5

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Added another one to the collection.
Bricked CN 2032F-IS (attempted 5.4.5 FW update), brick-fix tool applied to undo the anti-rollback, @whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader to bring back to life, mtdblock6 extract / fix-up / put back, FW upgrade in stages all the way to 5.4.5
That is amazing, and for me the dream scenario! I honestly don't think I have the bottle to try it though. May I ask, can the camera stay in its mounted position in order to carry out these procedures, or does it have to be taken down and directly connected to a PC for instance?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This can be done over the network.
But, to avoid the nasty 'mtd trap' that Hikvision have put in place, the firmware needs to be 5.2.5 or lower when the mtdblock is written.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But, to avoid the nasty 'mtd trap' that Hikvision have put in place, the firmware needs to be 5.2.5 or lower when the mtdblock is written.
Hi Alistair! I'm already on 5.2.5; does this make it easier?
...and does the particular camera model (in my case DS-2CD2732F-IS) make any kind of difference?

calltente

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 2132F-IS with V5.2.8_141231 sticker
Unbricked by V5.2.5 Chinese

Is there any successful case to upgrade to V5.4.5 by doing the mtdblock6 hack?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
...and does the particular camera model (in my case DS-2CD2732F-IS) make any kind of difference?
That's not been a model I've tried the change on - but it's the same firmware series, so should be OK.
Hi Alistair! I'm already on 5.2.5; does this make it easier?
Yes, it does. The working camera doesn't need to go through the brick-fix steps.

How critical is this camera in your setup?
In 'Conversations' I'll send you some instructions on how to extract mtdblock6 using a Windows PC, on the assumption the camera doesn't have a NAS or other network share source to drop files on to.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How critical is this camera in your setup?
It's probably my most critical camera, to be honest... but I could risk some limited downtime.

In terms of a Windows PC, I don't have one. I use a Macbook. The camera is connected to a NAS though, if that's preferred?

What's the worst that could happen? Could any part of this process cause permanent damage?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera is connected to a NAS though, if that's preferred?
That would work just fine to get files in and out of the camera.

In my instructions, just ignore the Windows sections, and inspect the mount point for the NAS as it presumably already exists.
With no PC, you have no Hikvision tftp updater facility as the safety net, so best not to make any changes.
But what I'll do is take a look at your mtdblock6 and comment on the content.

rsnissan

n3wb
Reaction score
I set my own SMTP server up on my synology NAS in the end to get around this problem. Might be an option for anyone else that has one and doesn't want to mess about with upgrading F/W versions etc.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I set my own SMTP server up on my synology NAS in the end to get around this problem. Might be an option for anyone else that has one and doesn't want to mess about with upgrading F/W versions etc.
That's another really interesting option - thanks for the tip!

calltente

n3wb
Reaction score
I also setup a local SMTP/POP3 mail server using my NAS.
Camera can send notification email to local SMTP without any problem.
In Gmail account setting, I add the POP3 email account to fetch the email.
Now I can receive emails from my camera.

Budgey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I am a very happy bunny! With no small thanks to alastairstevenson (who was so helpful and tolerant of my limited technical skills), I am chuffed to say that - after making some slight changes to my mtdblock6 file - I have now been able to upgrade my Chinese 2732 from F/W 5.2.5 right up to F/W 5.4.5 - English Language! I am so happy to have a resolution to this TLS encryption issue and I'm now back to using Gmail for my email notifications - obviously it's brilliant too to now be on the latest firmware, which i'm sure will bring many other benefits.
Thanks again Alastair for your time - you are THE MAN, as far as I am concerned! :)

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words - it's always good to help out and get a good result.

It's such a pity we have to go to these lengths just to do what should be a simple firmware update to fix problems and improve security.
When will Hikvision (are you reading this?) learn that it's we, the customers, that keep the business going?