So I cheaped out on security cameras and its really been comming back to biting me in the butt

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just wanted to add: don't grieve because you thought that simply making cctv videos should be a simple task, that happens us in many domains.
And secondly don't grieve because the quality was poor, I had an incident where I gave crystal sharp video material (which definitely allowed identification) to the local authorities and they just did nothing.

Instead, I was prosecuted because in the video they saw that I had been repairing my car. they claimed that I let oil seep away (while changing a tire, right) and fined me. I try not to, but that still angers me. :mad: Anyways, forget the past, learn from it and build your family a nice cctv system :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just wanted to add: don't grieve because you thought that simply making cctv videos should be a simple task, that happens us in many domains.
And secondly don't grieve because the quality was poor, I had an incident where I gave crystal sharp video material (which definitely allowed identification) to the local authorities and they just did nothing.

Instead, I was prosecuted because in the video they saw that I had been repairing my car. they claimed that I let oil seep away (while changing a tire, right) and fined me. I try not to, but that still angers me. :mad: Anyways, forget the past, learn from it and build your family a nice cctv system :)
wow, yet another great example of why not to trust other's owning your video, such as Ring.

Honestly I believe video will be used against those who install cloud based security cameras in a significant manner ( i.e. enforcing parking restrictions and the like.. )

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all, back again. Been busy with a lot of home repairs that needed to be taken care of almost every week since this thread was up, plus a week of jury duty for an unrelated note. So I haven't had much time to look into cameras much so I'd like to get into that. I plan on a system I can expand on in the future so I'm probably not going to get everything recommend in this topic right away due to time and budget but for now I want to work on getting the actual cameras themselves. I was looking at the 2MP Starlight cameras SouthernYankee recommended and the IPC-HDW5231-ZE caught my eye as it seems like its a little better at capturing things from a distance. The reason why I want something that captures better, not only at night time but, from a distance is because my mom's house sits on top of a pretty sizable hill while sitting on a corner. I'm no artist but here an example.

Right now this is going to be my most important camera as I need to be able to capture at a certain distance as well at night time. The previous camera wasn't able to do this well enough which is kind of making me cautious on getting certain cameras. If anyone has any other comments or other camera recommendations I'd like to hear them as well.