So I roughly have installed a 5442 6mm birdhouse camera on lamp post 50' from my front door....with tire slashing incursion discussion

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not bad for 1/60 actually. I don't see much blur with someone walking at that speed.

Reaction score
That's not bad for 1/60 actually. I don't see much blur with someone walking at that speed.
has minor ghosting issues around a dark clad human. Wonder if that is a capped 15FPS thing or need to boost up the bitrate. I am using OnGuard and Deepstack AI which only fires the hi-rez when detects human. I could afford to bump up the bitrate quite a bit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope the ghosting isn't because of FPS or bitrate - it is probably from too much gain and NR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found each camera to be different - some I cannot go above 40 and others I can go to 80 before ghosting.

Reaction score
setting up each individual camera is like playing 8 dimensional chess. Especially when you do not know what all does what :) No idea what "exposure comp" slider bar means. Guess time to do more googling

Reaction score
You need to set the shutter to manual, and then set the speed no lower than 1/60.
Then you need to go out and walk it and check, then make tweaks.
in some other forum post message about motion detecting a person with dark clothing, you suggested setting contrast in the 40 range or lower. If I did that, the image is super smokey grey. I have my contrast upto 90. Does the contrast come into play as a person is walking by and the lighter pixels of the body or clothing get .... magnified with contrast at 90?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The birdhouse & camera were present back on Dec 14th during her 4th incursion. It didn't phase her. She clearly walks past the lamp post/birdhouse without slowing or putting on mask. I think she is looking at the neighbors truck, not at birdhouse. Either case, it's enough to have the police take action. Previous incursions, she was wearing mask and detectives said not so great.
I'd be surprised if they can do anything from that video, although the US seems less stringent on proof than the UK. All the video shows is a girl walking past. She's not committing a crime by doing that. Even if the clothing is the same it can be considered co-incidental as it was not on the same night as any crime.

They might go and question her and see if she admits anything given you've given a name and address but it will probably be "you were spotted in the neighbourhood wearing the same clothes as someone who has been committing acts of vandalism, would you like to explain what you were doing there at that time of night" conversation. However, this side of a confession, bearing in mind there's probably not enough to arrest, I wouldn't hold my breath on a prosecution. I think you or your neighbour are going to need a caught in the act video and given if the Police speak to her she will now know you are getting video of her and she is a suspect, I would expect her to go quiet either permanently or for a while whilst she figures out some way to either avoid or take your cameras out, or attack your property in some other way.

PS I had some difficulty listening to the alarm noise and watching the clips - had to switch browsers. Is IPCT still uing flash? It's unistalled from most of my browsers now as I understand from the numerous Adobe unistall now updates I received last month, Adobe are sending out an update on 31 Jan to permanently disable Flash on all PC's. Just worth a mention.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm.. a bit grainy on the face portions. This is at 1/60. Bigger improvement over 1/30. I guess I have even more tinkering to do.
If thats truly 1/100 you're getting close

Things I would try
  • Take your image settings back to 50 except for Sharpness. Set Sharpness at 40-45. Every 5442 Ive played with is over-sharp
  • The image settings you posted earlier show you trying too hard to brighten the image which is helping to cause artifacts. Gamma, Brightness over saturation can quickly make a mess of things. Do the main light compensation with the shutter speed, leave image settings as close to 50 as possible.
  • Set bitrate to 8192
  • Use simple Manual shutter. 1/60
  • Gain 40-50
  • Exp Comp 50
  • DNR 45
  • NO WDR at night. It causes blur
  • Maybe some HLC- you are fightng that bright flood light from the back neighbors house

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they can do anything from that video, although the US seems less stringent on proof than the UK. All the video shows is a girl walking past. She's not committing a crime by doing that. Even if the clothing is the same it can be considered co-incidental as it was not on the same night as any crime.

They might go and question her and see if she admits anything given you've given a name and address but it will probably be "you were spotted in the neighbourhood wearing the same clothes as someone who has been committing acts of vandalism, would you like to explain what you were doing there at that time of night" conversation. However, this side of a confession, bearing in mind there's probably not enough to arrest, I wouldn't hold my breath on a prosecution. I think you or your neighbour are going to need a caught in the act video and given if the Police speak to her she will now know you are getting video of her and she is a suspect, I would expect her to go quiet either permanently or for a while whilst she figures out some way to either avoid or take your cameras out, or attack your property in some other way.

PS I had some difficulty listening to the alarm noise and watching the clips - had to switch browsers. Is IPCT still uing flash? It's unistalled from most of my browsers now as I understand from the numerous Adobe unistall now updates I received last month, Adobe are sending out an update on 31 Jan to permanently disable Flash on all PC's. Just worth a mention.
if that was the only video and camera, I would agree that it only shows her walking in the neighborhood. However, it is not the only camera with video. Is why I have multiple cameras :) The PTZ I just installed shows her walking towards the truck. My 5231 in B&W night mode shows a head popping up here & there on other side of truck.

Reaction score
If thats truly 1/100 you're getting close

Things I would try
  • Take your image settings back to 50 except for Sharpness. Set Sharpness at 40-45. Every 5442 Ive played with is over-sharp
  • The image settings you posted earlier show you trying to hard to brighten the image which is helping to cause artifacts. Gamma, Brightness over saturation can quickly make a mess of things. Do the main light compensation with the shutter speed, leave image settings as close to 50 as possible.
  • Set bitrate to 8192
  • Use simple Manual shutter. 1/60
  • Gain 40-50
  • Exp Comp 50
  • DNR 45
  • NO WDR at night. It causes blur
  • Maybe some HLC- you are fightng that bright flood light from the back neighbors house
I'll do more walk tests later tonite. Yes, my image settings have maxed out brightness & contract. Gamma is way up to 76. Backlight is turned off because any backlight setting introduces noticeable image noise. Yea, I'll put it back to 1/60 tonite and readjust settings.
To those in the future... the reason why I am trying to light up the image settings so much is because of the dark fence background. If it gets too dark, someone wearing dark clothing may not set off motion detection. And I believe (I could be wrong...will research later), can not use IVS tripwires/intrusions while also using Deepstack AI...but instead have to rely on Blue Iris motion detection.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^That is what an SD card in the camera is for:cool:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Holbs I use beam sensors. They are highly accurate and very fast response --- wired to my DSC alarm and used as triggers in Vera home automation (I have Envisalink as well).

Upon a trigger, my porch light and exterior sconces go from 20% to 100% brightness (LED). Also, beam triggers turn on this flood LED.
I do this logic to give all my cameras (Dahuas in forced color mode) maximum amount of light if something happens at night.

Reaction score
^That is what an SD card in the camera is for:cool:
explain? When I started my journey with Blue Iris and Dahua cameras...I put SD cards in all my first 8 cameras. I ceased doing so thinking I have hardwired all my camreas so no need (if someone were able to cut the wires inside my walls, there would be no power to the camera anyways).

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can enable IVS. That has nothing to do with Blue Iris. I mean, you can have it send ONVIF events from IVS tripwires to your BI server if you want. But you can also record to a SD card triggered from the IVS rules separately from BI. So you would have recordings in two location: BI and SD Card. Each with separate rules.

Reaction score
@Holbs I use beam sensors. They are highly accurate and very fast response --- wired to my DSC alarm and used as triggers in Vera home automation (I have Envisalink as well).

Upon a trigger, my porch light and exterior sconces go from 20% to 100% brightness (LED). Also, beam triggers turn on this flood LED.
I do this logic to give all my cameras (Dahuas in forced color mode) maximum amount of light if something happens at night.
I actually considered going this route with beam sensors. However, I had 4 Bosch Tritech Gen2 pet immunity indoor sensors as my disposal along with multiple front camera motion detection. A powerful combination. I guess it came down to just how far down the rabbit hole do I go :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mention that you cannot use IVS tripwires/intrusions while also using Deepstack AI - so that would allow you to run IVS for SD Card recordings so if for some reason BI or Deepstack misses it. So it would be redundancy. And probably save you if for some reason your BI computer or BI itself was down. Maybe running maintenance or something.

Or couldn't you run a clone in BI that uses ONVIF triggers (these IVS triggers) and another clone for the Deepstack?

Reaction score
You mention that you cannot use IVS tripwires/intrusions while also using Deepstack AI - so that would allow you to run IVS for SD Card recordings so if for some reason BI or Deepstack misses it. So it would be redundancy.

Or couldn't you run a clone in BI that uses ONVIF triggers (these IVS triggers) and another clone for the Deepstack?
@biggen as well. Ok...I guess I have even more walk testing to do tonite with IVS :)