Spectrum Port Forwarding

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Put it into bridge mode and we are all set.

Never would have guessed that would have had all that capability crammed in there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You might have a different modem than I do. I just got Spectrum service at a new home and it came from them already in bridge mode and I have no idea how to access its web interface if it even has one. The modem I got is all black with one coax port, one ethernet port, and I think two phone ports which I'm not using.

Maybe it is different because I'm a new customer or maybe because I got the gigabit service which comes with their managed wifi router (which I did not even plug in) in addition to the modem??

Anyway do you have your port forward working now?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might have a different modem than I do. I just got Spectrum service at a new home and it came from them already in bridge mode and I have no idea how to access its web interface if it even has one. The modem I got is all black with one coax port, one ethernet port, and I think two phone ports which I'm not using.

Maybe it is different because I'm a new customer or maybe because I got the gigabit service which comes with their managed wifi router (which I did not even plug in) in addition to the modem??

Anyway do you have your port forward working now?
Ya my port is working now. Had to put in 192.168.0.1 and the login info from the back of the box to get into it. Then put it into bridge mode

Thanks everyone for all the help

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an annoying ISP gateway too. Like others have said, first thing that'll set you free is finding a way to go Passthrough mode on your ISP gateway. You'll need to leave the DHCP on it, cause the best practice is to use your own router after it, which will give you so much flexibility in terms of things like port forwarding, firewall rules and an OpenVPN which is real easy if you get an ASUS. I'm doing mine on TP-Link.

So it should look like this (at least mine does): ISP Gateway (Passthrough mode, DHCP: On, SSIDs: Off) - > Master Router something like an ASUS, TP-Link etc (DHCP: On, SSIDs: On, and whatever else you need) - > Home devices or other APs.

Like others said, this should help you stay away from double NATing nightmare and greater control over over your network. Good luck.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looked at the wiki and the VPN on Asus, pretty complicated and never got it to work. I"ll stick with port forwarding..
You will want VPN over port forwarding.

OpenVPN is simple, but we make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

You will need a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you are paying for a static IP address. You can create that from within the ASUS router.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

This is a decent guide as well. It has been awhile since I set mine up, but it was that general process.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will want VPN over port forwarding.

OpenVPN is simple, but we make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

You will need a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you are paying for a static IP address. You can create that from within the ASUS router.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

This is a decent guide as well. It has been awhile since I set mine up, but it was that general process.

Yep got it setup for my home network. Now just need to figure out how to do a site to site vpn so its always on, and all my parents have to do is connect to it and they can see my cameras and vice versa..

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Whats the consensus for remote WAN port forwarding? Yay or nay?
Yay from me if you whitelist their IP and block everything else

If you make a firewall rule to only permit traffic from their external IP, I'm good with that. You'd probably have to setup dynamic DNS and add the entry to the firewall rule

Site to Site VPN is what I would personally do though

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whats the consensus for remote WAN port forwarding? Yay or nay?
Looked at the wiki and the VPN on Asus, pretty complicated and never got it to work. I"ll stick with port forwarding..
Port Forwarding = just a question of time before you get hijacked / successful attack.

Do not do this

Think of it this way...

If you leave your nice car in a bad neighborhood long enough - even if it is locked .. what will happen to the car?

On the internet, it is like that when you port forward. All the baddies have access to your front and back doors ... just a question of time before you are compromised.

This is especially bad, if you have novice IT skills.

( of course, if you are an IT pro - you know better how to manage your risk.. and can afford the time to basically have a security guard watch over that parked car in the bad neighborhood .. but even for IT pros, a lot of prefer just to go the VPN route as it is easier on the long run to keep secure )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep got it setup for my home network. Now just need to figure out how to do a site to site vpn so its always on, and all my parents have to do is connect to it and they can see my cameras and vice versa..
Read the help for your particular Router.
It's much simpler than it seems.